very mundane request about washing machines and setting...sorry but info appreciated

Bobtails12

hello all,

Very mundane boring query here so apologies upfront....

do the washing machines odyssey have alternative to fix no spin options on washes. i have had another injury due to a hit and run recently...on top of existing arm weakness...so want to have to pull minimum weight in suitcase.

so am looking at my dresses that like a light 20/30 wash and no or light spin option that can be used again and again ...drip drying...over 3 weeks.....hence wondering if this is available on odyssey to save my arm......apologies on boringness of post...

thanks so much

bob

No .The cycles are very long and I would not put anything delicate in them.

For $50. you can stuff a laundry bag .They have always done a very good job.I had a dress that I did not want in the dryer at high heat wrote a note came back great.

The washers are not the front loading type, but rather the older style ones with the center agitator. The washers themselves are quite low quality (I.e. not Miele) and are hard on your clothes. Same is true for the powdered detergent. As the previous reply recommended, send your delicates out for laundering and then do your basics yourself. Hope your injury does not impact the enjoyment of your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was recently on Ovation but sent our laundry out rather than visit the laundry room. But---didn't I read that the Ovation has Miele washers? If so, they should have a good delicate cycle with little spin if you set it that way.

Like Bob and others, I hesitate to send my things out to the ship laundry as I always drip dry them instead of putting them in the dryer. Can they do that? The ship's laundry did a fine job on my husband's shirts, our underwear, his pants, etc.

SLSD, the OP was asking about the Odyssey, not Encore or Ovation. Odyssey has the old style machines (or at least they did on my last sailing), the new ships perhaps have Miele, but I have not sailed the larger ships to comment on them.

OK. I missed which ship Sunprince. It's good to know that for the Ovation, the machine has been upgraded. However, I have a Miele at home and HATE IT!!!

Yes, I have Miele at home too (the large machines, not the newer compact ones). They are not simple and do cause some problems. I hate the sensors in my gas dryer....impossible to dry a down sweater/coat without adding something wet in the dryer at the same time!

Yes, the full size Mieles have issues and service here in Dallas is terrible. (Miele insists on having their own service people and the wait time is often four or five days. ) When my washer breaks down again, I am going to get rid of it and move on--to what I have not determined.

Recently, on Ovation, our laundry took 2 days as the information on a card in the room told us it would take. There is an option to pay more for one day service. There is also something written about not expecting one day service on the last full day of the cruise.

Recently, on Ovation, our laundry took 2 days as the information on a card in the room told us it would take. There is an option to pay more for one day service. There is also something written about not expecting one day service on the last full day of the cruise.

thanks - i can plan a bit better based on min of 4 days rotating evening wear - when the rest is in laundry

much obliged for the help...

Bob

Another consideration is that they don’t always deliver your laundry to the right suite. On my last cruise, a crew member delivered laundry while I was in the bathroom. I didn’t know what it was so I said just to leave it. The crew really should have come back but they just came in and left someone else’s clothes in the closet. I wasn’t very happy because the safe was open and I could not rush out of the bathroom at the time to even see the crew member. They seemed in a big rush. The laundry was not mine (I had not even sent out laundry that day).

I called the suite to let the guest know I had their laundry (they seemed that they could not have cared less and I received no “thanks for calling”) and then called back guest services to have the laundry picked up, I was also concerned that my safe was open (did not realize it until after the crew left), but nothing was stolen thankfully. That’s the good part of SB, although we are careful with valuables, you don’t have to lock up everything you own (and I have had everything ranging from my electric shaver, to dress shirts to my underwear stolen in “fine hotels”).

well good on the security....though knowing my chance....sods law......i'd pack really light and it would go missing.....hence why i hope the machines would be ok for delicates...

we were doing islands in thailand a while back left in our laundry( no delicates all cotton stuff) picked it up in a bundle didn't unpack it but straight into a bag ...and onto another island.....when we unpacked were a few strangers clothes - but too late to bring back then....

Yes, the full size Mieles have issues and service here in Dallas is terrible. (Miele insists on having their own service people and the wait time is often four or five days. )

This is very useful information! We are in the middle of a large remodel and have been looking at Miele... may be off my list now!

Jenidallas, Originally when we purchased our top of the line Mieles, we got service from regular appliance repair people here in Dallas. THEN, Miele went to using only their own people. Some were totally incompetent--and others could not schedule a repair for over a week. Not acceptable when it comes to a washing machine. I have been generally unhappy with our washer. It has had quite a few glitches--several parts replaced early on--and is hard to clean. I would never buy another Miele. That does not mean I can tell you what to buy! I'm still looking at that.

My experience is that service must be from Miele in order for the warranty to be valid. In Canada they will not let someone else touch their product or else the warranty is invalid. Service people here are very good and expert in Miele. Luckily our Miele appliances came with a 10 year full warranty. If there is an issue they come and service it at no cost. After the warranty runs out I will be worried. But our Maytag crashed after 8 so we may be better off. The washer has been the issue, the gas dryer has never had a problem.

Apologies to the OP, this is way off topic so back to your original question.

My experience is that service must be from Miele in order for the warranty to be valid. In Canada they will not let someone else touch their product or else the warranty is invalid. Service people here are very good and expert in Miele. Luckily our Miele appliances came with a 10 year full warranty. If there is an issue they come and service it at no cost. After the warranty runs out I will be worried. But our Maytag crashed after 8 so we may be better off. The washer has been the issue, the gas dryer has never had a problem.

Apologies to the OP, this is way off topic so back to your original question.

no problem at all- theres a miele showroom on my running route and always thought they looked like nice machines....but i am probably seduced by the miele coffee machines too..

but good to know mixed experiences for next kitchen overhaul....

Even with an extended warranty, our Miele washer has been a nightmare---mainly due to Miele authorized service people who were not competent--and others who required a long wait time. Several expensive components have had to be replaced. Fortunately, we did not have to pay for them with the extended warranty--but the fact that the parts failed is worrisome. I just don't like the washer. The dryer has been OK. Every once in a while the dryer stops drying well. I have found that the lent catcher's mesh is SO fine that it becomes somewhat impermeable. It is then necessary to rinse it in very warm water and dry it---not something necessary with other lent catchers which just have to be cleaned.