Small Things that Made our Ovation Cruise Special

SLSD

We've been home from our voyage on Ovation for a little more than two weeks now. As I start choosing a future cruise, I've been reflecting on the little things that made our cruise special.

First, our bed was VERY comfortable. It is advertised as a Queen, but my husband kept saying that it seemed larger. The mattress (not too hard, not too soft) was exactly to our liking and, best of all, the bed had SIX wonderful pillows. I think the pillows were king size pillows--three each of different firmnesses. The pillows were wonderful and aided me in having restful sleep every single night.

Next, I would mention friendly crew. While not EVERY crew member was warm and friendly, just enough of them were--eager to please and happy to talk in a very appropriate way about their own lives. While I know that recruiting the right kind of crew member is not easy--SB DOES know what they are after and often find these special people.

Finally, Guest Services---always available by phone with an answer and always available in Seabourn Square to solve any issue or answer any question.

These items are small, but I think they added value and enjoyment to our trip.

I don't want to come across as a Pollyanna. We had our share of disappointments---a very poorly delivered and presented Room Service Dinner, an excursion that was cancelled, but we were not informed (this happened to others a well), a few crew members who were not happy, never smiled, and only did their job grudgingly (there were only two or three of these that I noticed), and very little planning for those passengers doing a back to back cruise. While there was a get together in the Club with canapés and champagne for us--more could have done on the actual day of changeover---maybe a special luncheon in the MDR? Extra special excursions off the ship including lunch? I can think of a lot of things that could have been done and would have engendered real gratitude from us.

What have you found to be the small things that add to your enjoyment of your voyage?

Edited by SLSD

1. Two years ago when the Odyssey bed and sofa in my PH suite were like rocks on my bones and joints, the delightful stewardess brought me a topper for the bed and ten ( yes ten!) down pillows for the couch to make it sittable without pain, without complaining.

Now I reserve a topper in advance and travel with a camping thermarest for the couch.

I love being able to sleep in when there are no excursions or talks I think I should go to, and then having a leisurely late breakfast or early Colonnade outdoor lunch. If personnel are not talking loudly in the halls, and respect the DND sign, it is wonderful.

The properly prepared eggs benedict on such days were also welcomed.

3. The couches outside of SB Square are my favorite spot for connecting to wifi while watching the sea. I also like a deserted SB square inside when insomniac, unless they pipe in silly noise music.

SB Square personnel are also very competent and polite and I felt welcomed dropping in.

4. Getting a nicely prepared meal start to finish, at a window table, with no wine refill battles or service issues was absolute heaven for me and DH.

The wine steward Pradeep on Quest last year took an interest in us and we looked forward to talking to him at lunch or dinner.

5. When I was listening to a talk I got cold ( unusual for me) and was going to go back to my suite to get a wrap. A high level crew member went to get his own jacket for me to put on so I would not miss the rest of the talk!

6. walking on a deserted deck at sunrise and getting a smile from the guy mopping the deck.

7. The hot tub in the bow of deck 6 when it was cold out was DH’s favorite spot.

Catlover54, I love your comments and these are exactly the kinds of things I was hoping to hear.

I can identify with walking the deck at sunrise as I love to do that as well.

We've been home from our voyage on Ovation for a little more than two weeks now. As I start choosing a future cruise, I've been reflecting on the little things that made our cruise special.

First, our bed was VERY comfortable. It is advertised as a Queen, but my husband kept saying that it seemed larger. The mattress (not too hard, not too soft) was exactly to our liking and, best of all, the bed had SIX wonderful pillows. I think the pillows were king size pillows--three each of different firmnesses. The pillows were wonderful and aided

me in having restful sleep every single night.

Next, I would mention friendly crew. While not EVERY crew member was warm and friendly, just enough of them were--eager to please and happy to talk in a very appropriate way about their own lives. While I know that recruiting the right kind of crew member is not easy--SB DOES know what they are after and often find these special people.

Finally, Guest Services---always available by phone with an answer and always available in Seabourn Square to solve any issue or answer any question.

These items are small, but I think they added value and enjoyment to our trip.

I don't want to come across as a Pollyanna. We had our share of disappointments---a very poorly delivered and presented Room Service Dinner, an excursion that was cancelled, but we were not informed (this happened to others a well), a few crew members who were not happy, never smiled, and only did their job grudgingly (there were only two or three of these that I noticed), and very little planning for those passengers doing a back to back cruise. While there was a get together in the Club with canapés and champagne for us--more could have done on the actual day of changeover---maybe a special luncheon in the MDR? Extra special excursions off the ship including lunch? I can think of a lot of things that could have been done and would have engendered real gratitude from us.

What have you found to be the small things that add to your enjoyment of your voyage?

The small things.....Caffè Marocchino prepared perfectly by the best barristas.....when returning "home" to Seabourn Square after a day of excursions. Not to mention a thin slice of whatever delicious cake was still lurking in the bakery.