STONE ISLAND - ?'s

CruiseCrAzieS

How to get to stone island from the cruise ship?

What is the tractor ride I have heard about?

What is the best place to eat there where we can sit under a papala in a relaxing layed back pool chair, enjoy cocktails, be close to the water and have access to restrooms????

Ive heard some people getting sick from food, saying they have rugged restrooms with no power, etc...I'm having some reservations and need some facts!! Thanks!

I've been to Stone Island twice from a cruise ship. My excursion was with Maria's Happy Horses - http://mariashappyhorses.weebly.com/ The little ferry/boat we took was not too far from the port. Maria's picked us up and took us there and brought us back. There is a little restaurant there right on the beach - no pool. Not sure what might be further down the beach. I ate at the restaurant and had no troubles. If you wanted to ride horses on the beach - excellent. There were other activities going on - so there must be other ways to get there.

There are at least 3 water taxis to SI. If you go out the port gate and go right about 1/2 mile there is one that will take you across where there is a trailer pulled by a tractor. My rec: If you go out the port gate and go left about 2 blocks the water taxi there will drop you off near the end of SI. From the SI dock you can walk left about 10 minutes down the beach to Lety's (as laid back as you want to get) ) or pick any of the other palapa eateries. I drank Pacificos so can't comment on the cocktails. Shrimp were top notch tho.

Use google maps and you can see the layout.

Ditto.

Turn left out of the port, walk straight until you hit the water taxi stand. Go across the quay. Walk to Lety's. Plop down, have drinks, eat coconut shrimp, play in the easy surf and enjoy.

The walk along the street and the initial walk on the beach may seem a bit "sketch" (my kids' words), but don't worry. Forge on and enjoy.

I see that Lety's is right next to Victor's. That's where the horse group eats lunch after their ride. If capable, you are actually allowed to canter your horses on the beach. But no swimming. The food at Victor's was GOOD.

Wish I was stopping off at Mazatlan on my next cruise.

Restrooms are fine at Lety's. They cater to mostly US/CAN and ex-pats during the week, they know what you expect. They put out a bad product and they're out of business.

If you like coconut, keep an eye open for an older gal selling macaroons from a large plastic box (Tupperware type). Delicious.

if you can get off the boat by 9, walk the blue line into town and go see the church and the Mercado. Then take a pulmonia (or walk) back to the water taxi to SI. Some culture in the morning and some shrimps and beers in the afternoon. That's a great day right there.

As Goober says: "Forge on and enjoy".

We went to Stone Island twice last year. The above info is correct. Lety's bathrooms are fine. Their Coconut shrimp is amazing. We only have had Pacificos there so don't know about the cocktails. We spent the days relaxing, eating, drinking, going into the water a bit and enjoying the Mexican atmosphere. We've been going there for 20 years or so. Love it. Very easy to get to and very easy return.

Cheers

We had a great day at Lety's in Feb, We ordered Margarita's, beer, water, soda and shrimp. We were stayed all day, had chairs with padded seats, and a covered area to lay under. I didn't get sick, restrooms were clean. Good service, and drinks. --very reasonable prices :)

Nice idea, pulledporky. It's nice to see some of the more authentic Mexico rather than just resorts.

I'll skip Mass, though!

We just did this in March, it was AMAZING!! I have never see the authentic Mexico when visiting Mazatlán and I was blown away with the history! We have only ever gone to Stone Island (which is still my favorite) but you can fit both in!

We just did this in March, it was AMAZING!! I have never see the authentic Mexico when visiting Mazatlán and I was blown away with the history! We have only ever gone to Stone Island (which is still my favorite) but you can fit both in!

Have you had any experience with the constant vendors bothering you that I have heard about

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Ok that is not what my friends had. They were told by tour operators not to make eye contact or respond. Also she said she witnessed several people being asked multiple times by same vendors. So I was curious because i have actually neve been asked by any vendor when on a beach in the caribbean.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Ok that is not what my friends had. They were told by tour operators not to make eye contact or respond. Also she said she witnessed several people being asked multiple times by same vendors. So I was curious because i have actually neve been asked by any vendor when on a beach in the caribbean.

Skipped Stone Island and went to the Golden Zone beach. I found the constant pestering by vendors to be quite intrusive. They were not rude or pressing, but there just a lot of them. I still do feel sorry for them, trudging along the beach in the heat of the sun, making no money. Maybe next time I'll print up some tee shirts that say "No, gracias".

At Cabo we paid a few bucks to sit in the roped off lounge chairs/umbrellas so you aren't pestered in there. I'd always do that now if such a facility is available.

Reading back I see what you mean - my bad writing!

Had planned to go to Stone Island but family wanted to do the bus tour around the town. Jumped off at the GZ and hired a beach umbrella/loungers on the beach and the boys did a parasail ride and loved it. But there were vendors busy there!