Would a Luxury Cruiser Be Happy on Viking Ocean Cruises

LauraS

But surely the fact that they bother to have a cheat sheet to remember your name is a signifier of good service.

I think Charles II, the cleverest and suavely of our monarchs, summed up good service in his reference to Lord Godolphin who said was never in the way and never out of the way.

They all have different ways to remember your name but not the cheat sheets.

Sometimes I think they know more then we do.

For example, we do sail a particular line often so overtime get to know the personnel. One time we were looking at the menu for the following night. I saw a fish I did not recognize and asked the Head Waiter about it. He looked at me and said Mr. XXXX you had it last year and you loved it. Well back in the room I looked at a blog I write and sure enough he was right. No cheat sheet. All spontaneous.

On many of the luxury lines they are taught how to remember names.

In fact we once went to a lecture and the lecturer taught the audience how to memorize names.

Regardless of all of this I believe one of the differences with a luxury ship to say a main stream one is that my experience eon most (yes most not all) is that when things are done properly you are treated more as a person/individual then just a number.

Keith

Getting back to the original thread no one knows for sure unless you try Viking.

And.......We are all different so what does it matter if I would like a premium line but you don't.

Same would apply to any product.

Would a Lexus owner enjoy owning a BWM. What do you think the answer is?

Well, my thought is it will vary by person.

Why?

Because we are not clones of one another. We all see things a bit differently and that is evident on CC each and very day including this thread.

We will try new lines for itinerary. For us that is an opportunity to try another new line.

Keith

No, it tells me that they know how to remember people's names, that's all. There may be good service without that, and lousy service with that. It's just window dressing that makes someone take notice, but doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of the product.

I have never been anywhere where the service was under par and the people providing that service addressed me by name. In fact it is often a sign of bad service that you are not addressed by name.

Those providing average service do not take pains. Bothering to learn people’s names is one of the set of pains that those who wish to provide good service take. It is not a parlour trick designed to take in the punters.

It is of course possible to have no idea of someone’s name and still to provide good service. But typically this occurs in quick, one off transactions. When you are dealing with someone over a period of days, it is nice to know they remember who you are. It is also more pleasant if the you acknowledge them by name as well.

I have never been anywhere where the service was under par and the people providing that service addressed me by name. In fact it is often a sign of bad service that you are not addressed by name.

Those providing average service do not take pains. Bothering to learn people’s names is one of the set of pains that those who wish to provide good service take. It is not a parlour trick designed to take in the punters.

It is of course possible to have no idea of someone’s name and still to provide good service. But typically this occurs in quick, one off transactions. When you are dealing with someone over a period of days, it is nice to know they remember who you are. It is also more pleasant if the you acknowledge them by name as well.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm relating my belief - and my opinion isn't wrong either. I do think of it as a parlour trick and it really doesn't impress me much.......to me, that's the easy part of great service. It only matters to me if it's part of the package, and even then, it's a minor part to me. I don't suddenly feel more important just because someone uses my name.

Quite frankly I’m finding this emphasis on remembering names a bit humorous.

We have sailed with Carnival - which I think most in this thread would place on the lowest of the low rungs - and I wouldn’t completely disagree. I have issues with Carnival and other mainstream lines, but service isn’t one of them.

The people who have served us on Carnival have been wonderful. The room stewards and staff do have cheat sheets to remember names, and they do an excellent job.

They, and the bartenders, and the dining room wait staff all remember what you like and don’t like. They do what they can within the parameters set for them and quite often push those boundaries to please a guest. And it’s even more remarkable that they do it with twice or three times the number of guests to care for than their luxury counterparts. I think that says something for their dedication to service.

My issues with the mainstream lines - aside from the packed to the gunnels mega ships, the madding crowds, the cacophony, and the constant nagging to buy something - is that they are eliminating the niceties that used to elevate the experience above what it has become, and they continue to degenerate that experience with cost cutting measures designed to keep the lowest common denominator happy to sail with them.

I like the niceties, and that’s what I include in my definition of luxury. I like tablecloths, nice china and crystal. I like soft lighting, and soft background music, and soft fabrics. I will admit to a fondness for sparkle. 🤩 I don’t need fawning attention, but attention to detail is good.

I wouldn’t list all inclusive in my definition of luxury. I’m ambivalent - ala carte works for me as well. I just like to know ahead of time which I’m dealing with.

I don’t have the posts at hand, but someone mentioned having drinks included as a luxury aspect because it makes people friendlier. I’m not sure I would agree with that line of thinking, but I will point out that Viking (since that is the line in the subject) includes wine and beer with meals and their beverage package is only $20 a day per person - which I think is very reasonable. Included beverages may make some people friendly, but at the same time make others obnoxious.

Another member here said that Viking had the atmosphere or resemblance to a “homeless shelter.” Really?

Quite frankly I find that description overboard, totally unfair and more than a bit ridiculous. I can’t speak for the Ocean division, but that certainly didn’t fit our river cruise experience and I find it difficult to believe that the ocean cruises will be so different from our river experience.

I can’t speak for other Viking cruisers, but we pack more than a carry on. I don’t bring steamer trunks but I do pack an adequate amount and variety of clothes.

I’m a Gemini. I mention that because those of us born to that sign can usually fit into any atmosphere and be completely at home. I can do tuxedos and ball gowns just as easily as sweatshirts and well-worn jeans.

The older I get, though, I just don’t want to bother with the requirements of formal. I like casual with a bit of style and flair. I don’t find jeans as comfortable as some do, but I’ve seen people who CAN wear them with panache. I can rub elbows with those folks [emoji13]

Someone else mentioned space. I think Viking meets that requirement in the public areas, and they offer a broad enough selection of cabins that all their guests can find one to meet their needs.

We don’t require a lot of space, but we do want a balcony/veranda. I think a bit of private outside space is necessary, even if there isn’t the need to get away from the crowds as found on mainstream cruises.

We booked a Deluxe Veranda because it seemed to meet our needs, but I think next time I would go with the Penthouse Veranda - mostly for the extra storage space.

Someone else mentioned liking some ships of a line, but not others. I know many won’t agree with me, but I really like that Viking ships are all the same. If you like one you will like them all and you can feel at home the minute you step aboard.

To conclude this long ramble (and I will admit to being a rambler), I’m beginning to think that luxury isn’t the issue - at least not with me. I am looking to be a bit pampered. We never used to fly business/first because it didn’t seem necessary - especially for short flights - but like the cruise lines, the airlines have diluted the experience to a point where it has become necessary to be at least a bit comfortable.

I may find that Viking Ocean fits all our requirements. If so I might not look further. On the other hand, I know that if you don’t look beyond current requirements, you don’t know what you might find. I am, above all else, curious - another Gemini trait.

We aren’t wealthy but standard measures. We are what my mother always defined as “comfortable.” We can afford better things and experiences, but not the best, most extravagant. We like to treat ourselves well when we travel, and within some limits we can.

So I can’t really answer the question at hand, but I do think we will be happy with Viking, and we’ll see where that takes us. One thing I have learned from this conversation is that apparently luxury - like beauty - is in the eye of the beholder.

Namaste [emoji120]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Quite frankly I’m finding this emphasis on remembering names a bit humorous.

We have sailed with Carnival - which I think most in this thread would place on the lowest of the low rungs - and I wouldn’t completely disagree. I have issues with Carnival and other mainstream lines, but service isn’t one of them.

The people who have served us on Carnival have been wonderful. The room stewards and staff do have cheat sheets to remember names, and they do an excellent job.

They, and the bartenders, and the dining room wait staff all remember what you like and don’t like. They do what they can within the parameters set for them and quite often push those boundaries to please a guest. And it’s even more remarkable that they do it with twice or three times the number of guests to care for than their luxury counterparts. I think that says something for their dedication to service.

My issues with the mainstream lines - aside from the packed to the gunnels mega ships, the madding crowds, the cacophony, and the constant nagging to buy something - is that they are eliminating the niceties that used to elevate the experience above what it has become, and they continue to degenerate that experience with cost cutting measures designed to keep the lowest common denominator happy to sail with them.

I like the niceties, and that’s what I include in my definition of luxury. I like tablecloths, nice china and crystal. I like soft lighting, and soft background music, and soft fabrics. I will admit to a fondness for sparkle. 🤩 I don’t need fawning attention, but attention to detail is good.

I wouldn’t list all inclusive in my definition of luxury. I’m ambivalent - ala carte works for me as well. I just like to know ahead of time which I’m dealing with.

I don’t have the posts at hand, but someone mentioned having drinks included as a luxury aspect because it makes people friendlier. I’m not sure I would agree with that line of thinking, but I will point out that Viking (since that is the line in the subject) includes wine and beer with meals and their beverage package is only $20 a day per person - which I think is very reasonable. Included beverages may make some people friendly, but at the same time make others obnoxious.

Another member here said that Viking had the atmosphere or resemblance to a “homeless shelter.” Really?

Quite frankly I find that description overboard, totally unfair and more than a bit ridiculous. I can’t speak for the Ocean division, but that certainly didn’t fit our river cruise experience and I find it difficult to believe that the ocean cruises will be so different from our river experience.

I can’t speak for other Viking cruisers, but we pack more than a carry on. I don’t bring steamer trunks but I do pack an adequate amount and variety of clothes.

I’m a Gemini. I mention that because those of us born to that sign can usually fit into any atmosphere and be completely at home. I can do tuxedos and ball gowns just as easily as sweatshirts and well-worn jeans.

The older I get, though, I just don’t want to bother with the requirements of formal. I like casual with a bit of style and flair. I don’t find jeans as comfortable as some do, but I’ve seen people who CAN wear them with panache. I can rub elbows with those folks [emoji13]

Someone else mentioned space. I think Viking meets that requirement in the public areas, and they offer a broad enough selection of cabins that all their guests can find one to meet their needs.

We don’t require a lot of space, but we do want a balcony/veranda. I think a bit of private outside space is necessary, even if there isn’t the need to get away from the crowds as found on mainstream cruises.

We booked a Deluxe Veranda because it seemed to meet our needs, but I think next time I would go with the Penthouse Veranda - mostly for the extra storage space.

Someone else mentioned liking some ships of a line, but not others. I know many won’t agree with me, but I really like that Viking ships are all the same. If you like one you will like them all and you can feel at home the minute you step aboard.

To conclude this long ramble (and I will admit to being a rambler), I’m beginning to think that luxury isn’t the issue - at least not with me. I am looking to be a bit pampered. We never used to fly business/first because it didn’t seem necessary - especially for short flights - but like the cruise lines, the airlines have diluted the experience to a point where it has become necessary to be at least a bit comfortable.

I may find that Viking Ocean fits all our requirements. If so I might not look further. On the other hand, I know that if you don’t look beyond current requirements, you don’t know what you might find. I am, above all else, curious - another Gemini trait.

We aren’t wealthy but standard measures. We are what my mother always defined as “comfortable.” We can afford better things and experiences, but not the best, most extravagant. We like to treat ourselves well when we travel, and within some limits we can.

So I can’t really answer the question at hand, but I do think we will be happy with Viking, and we’ll see where that takes us. One thing I have learned from this conversation is that apparently luxury - like beauty - is in the eye of the beholder.

Namaste [emoji120]

As I might have said above, a YouTube cruise reveiwer called Jim Zimmerlin has done a review of Viking Star which I think shows that the ship is very good.

The main reason I wouldn't travel on it is the fact that it still has a lot of passengers.

For me the elements of luxury cruising/yachting are:

Understated but luxurious design in the public areas and the cabins

The ability to eat al fresco at every meal

Cocktail parties and other events designed to allow passengers to mingle if they choose

Elegance rather than glitz being the watchword

All inclusive fare

Great linen, bathroom supplies etc

A high crew to passenger ratio

Excellent service which makes you feel like an individual not a passenger

Outstanding international cuisine which is cooked a la minute and not mass-produced

More space free in the common areas of the ship

The ability to visit smaller more interesting ports

Hardly any announcements over the PA

No Broadway shows and the like, but a minimum amount of entertainment

Staying overnight in ports to allow passengers to enjoy the night life

A crew with great knowledge about the ports

High quality excursions, including guided walks by officers or the chef around towns or markets

An international blend of passengers who are well-travelled and interesting

I think the last is probably one of the most important factors. The whole experience really goes both ways. Although we are paying for the experience, it behoves us to try to make things as pleasant as possible for our fellow guests and the crew.

You are likely not a candidate for Crystal, Regent, Seabourn or Silversea. I cannot imagine how much a cruise line would have to pay to have a crew with "great knowledge about the ports" and an officer that actually has the time to be away from the ship in order to walk around towns or markets. For the most part, luxury cruisers love the entertainment - even though it cannot compare with mainstream cruise lines. I believe that you have sailed on SeaDream Yacht Club which is a different type of cruising completely. Personally, I would not be comfortable on such a small boat/ship - especially if there were children onboard that one cannot avoid. And, no matter what anyone says about a balcony, having your own private balcony where you can sit and relax - have cocktails and enjoy the sea is not possible without a balcony.

Most luxury cruise lines (the ones mentioned above) have a very high rate of return passengers. They are welcomed onboard as if they were family. Knowing names is not required but it is a nice touch (and the cruise line that we frequent does not have a cheat sheet with pictures somewhere but do have a reliable way of identifying passengers.) I personally do not want to dine al fresco at every meal - unless the temperature was around 70 degrees and clear.

Who needs a cocktail party when everything is included? Every evening on a luxury cruise line is an opportunity to mix and mingle with other guests.

Not sure what you mean by "glitz". We each have our own preference when it comes to the design, colors, etc on a ship. Our favorite ship does not have the decor that we would have in our home but that does not matter to us. What does matter is large suites (not cabins/staterooms), balconies, excellent service and food.

In any case, we all have our likes and dislikes and we can't change anyone else's mind. All we can do is share information about our personal experiences on a cruise line and let others decide which cruise line fits the best for them.

Cyber - you would likely be very happy with Viking Ocean since you are coming from a mainstream cruise line. It is luxury cruisers that are used to everything that a luxury cruise line has to offer than are taking a small step down in order to sail on Viking Ocean, Oceania or Azamara. In terms of names, in my wildest imagination, I cannot see people on large cruise ships remembering anyone's names. Once you have sailed on a non-mainstream cruise line, you'll probably understand where some of us are coming from. Hope that you give Viking Ocean a try!

Cyber - you would likely be very happy with Viking Ocean since you are coming from a mainstream cruise line. It is luxury cruisers that are used to everything that a luxury cruise line has to offer than are taking a small step down in order to sail on Viking Ocean, Oceania or Azamara. In terms of names, in my wildest imagination, I cannot see people on large cruise ships remembering anyone's names. Once you have sailed on a non-mainstream cruise line, you'll probably understand where some of us are coming from. Hope that you give Viking Ocean a try!

I’m quite sure we will be happy with Viking Ocean and we are sailing with them in the Caribbean next month. I wanted to do the Into the Midnight Sun itinerary but DH wanted someplace warm. I can’t argue with warm.

I don’t know how they do it, but on Carnival, the stewards, dining room wait staff and bartenders all remember your name and preferences.

On our last cruise the wait staff we had were wonderful. They quickly learned what we liked and would bring extras and something special they thought we might like. They were amazing.

We previously booked cruises on Carnival because it was fast and easy. It didn’t even matter where the ship was going it was just a quick getaway that didn’t require much thinking. We weren’t looking for luxury just a convenient getaway.

Now we are retired and have time to think about what we are doing, where we are going and time to explore options - which is what we are doing.

I’m trying to understand what the definition of luxury means to other people. My own definition is rather flexible and open at the moment. I don’t know if how other people define the concept matters as much, but I am trying to determine what I want to require for my definition - if that makes any sense.

I do know that we are more than ready to move beyond the hoards and masses of the mainstream lines, including their ship within a ship concepts. That doesn’t appeal at all.

Maybe Viking Ocean will be our entrance, our first step and we’ll see where we go from there. I’m excited about the possibilities.