pananma canal cruise

Exhogger

I interested in a panama canal cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angelos, but I am a solo cruiser. I have only done one before, a Western Carabean 7 day one with family. I want to go on the Panama one alone though. Any advice and what about the cost going alone? Is it too expensive or are there options?

Welcome to Cruise Critic

Depending on the cruise line and the cabin category, a single cruise pays from 150% to 200% of the cost of one person sailing with two in a cabin.

If your budget allows, do not let the fact you are sailing solo stop you. Lots of people travel solo and make friends on board.

Panama Canal cruises are more expensive than many other cruises due to the fees the ship has to pay to the Canal Authority. I celebrated my 60th birthday by doing a partial canal transit on the Coral Princess. It wasn't outrageously expensive even though I paid double.

Roz

I am looking at a partial Panama Canal cruise......as for being too expensive? That is a hard question to answer because

what one person thinks is pricey, someone else may think is reasonable. So only you can decide what you can afford

and you would have to get the cruise prices or find at Travel Agent that can help you....and see what is within your

budget.

I am turning 60 in March..milestone birthday........I have never done the Panama Canal so that is in the running:D

I have done two cruises that included the Panama Canal (and my third will be in January) solo. It is a great cruise. I try to pick a cruise line that does not charge 200% and I don't cruise as often as I would if I had someone with whom to cruise. However, I very seldom find someone who wants to go where I want, and has the time and the money. So, it means going solo or not going (not a good option IMO:D).

Usually Panama Canal cruises are expensive. I was very lucky two years ago to book a cruise two days before sailing that was extremely cheap, it was 10 days for $499 round trip from Miami. That was with NCL Pearl in March.

I only stick with NCL when I do solo cruising, they have the best prices on last minute cruises and on top of that no solo supplement.

Usually Panama Canal cruises are expensive. I was very lucky two years ago to book a cruise two days before sailing that was extremely cheap, it was 10 days for $499 round trip from Miami. That was with NCL Pearl in March.

I only stick with NCL when I do solo cruising, they have the best prices on last minute cruises and on top of that no solo supplement.

The OP is asking about a full transit.

We realize the OP is asking about a full transit, but at the same time they're concerned about cost. A couple of us who've done partial transits as solos were suggesting that as a way that the OP could have some of the Canal experience at a reduced price.

Roz

I've done the panama cruise as a solo and enjoyed the cruise immensely. With the added port and transit charges there are not many cheap cruises for full transit. That said, if you have some flexibility as far as when you make the trip, you can find some good buys out there. Many times when ships are moving to or from the Caribbean to/from Alaska there will be some good fares. Very enjoyable trip, I have not done the partial transit but as others have stated it is a good way to save some of the money that a full fare costs along with the in and out of two different airports.

I am a solo cruiser and have done 2 partials and finally just got back Saturday from my first full transit. It was 14 days LA to New Orleans on the NCL Pearl. I paid a zero supplement on my second partial transit and on the full transit it was a 50% supplement. I only book cruises after final payment when prices start to come down.

3 full transits for me. 3rd will be March 4 2017

I will be going solo and am looking forward to it. No conflicting choices of what to do. I even splurged and got a veranda. For me, it’s a must for seeing the Canal

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I will be going solo and am looking forward to it. No conflicting choices of what to do. I even splurged and got a veranda. For me, it’s a must for seeing the Canal

That would be March 4 2018

I interested in a panama canal cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angelos, but I am a solo cruiser. I have only done one before, a Western Carabean 7 day one with family. I want to go on the Panama one alone though. Any advice and what about the cost going alone? Is it too expensive or are there options?

I just booked a 10 day round trip to the Panama Canal today on the Caribbean Princess for November 30. My total cost was $1270, which included insurance and the $300 canal fee. I booked an interior cabin guarantee. I have been on many cruises and this will be my 4th solo cruise. I have been on several Panama Canal cruises and they have always been very enjoyable. I usually book with Princess directly. I would suggest checking out the cruise lines you are interested in for their sales. Usually the sales appear after final payment is made.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
I am a solo cruiser and have done 2 partials and finally just got back Saturday from my first full transit. It was 14 days LA to New Orleans on the NCL Pearl. I paid a zero supplement on my second partial transit and on the full transit it was a 50% supplement. I only book cruises after final payment when prices start to come down.

I am also a solo cruiser and I also book cruises after final payment is due. I have been on many cruises, the last 3 were solo. I have 2 more solo cruises planned, one to the Panama Canal (partial) on the Caribbean Princess and an eastern Caribbean on the Regal Princess.

I am elite with Princess and they offer good last minute deals.

Evelyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Go for it!

I did a full Canal transit 3 years ago and it was one of the best trips of my life. Sure the taxes and fees were high, but I was determined to be on a PC sailing so I booked an inside. I was able to upgrade to an ocean view after final payment and sailed from San Diego to FLL.

I plan to do the reverse in the next few years.

Don't let the price deter you, pick the cruise line of your choice, and book. The Panama Canal board on CC has a wealth of information.

• 1 month later...

What line are you cruising with on March 4th. I leave that day on HAL. Like you, I have booked a veranda.