Can I buy cupcakes in Portland and bring them back on the ship?

kobe

Hi,

We're sailing on Adventure of the Seas from NJ and our first stop is Portland, ME. Can I buy cupcakes in Maine and bring them back on the ship. We're celebrating a birthday that day and I thought it would be fun to order them ahead of time at a bakery and bring them back with us. Is that allowed?

Hi,

We're sailing on Adventure of the Seas from NJ and our first stop is Portland, ME. Can I buy cupcakes in Maine and bring them back on the ship. We're celebrating a birthday that day and I thought it would be fun to order them ahead of time at a bakery and bring them back with us. Is that allowed?

No one will care...but actually I would go to Holy Donut for their amazing potato based donuts....the line starts early there and there will be a line.

Technically, not allowed, but as noted, enforcement is generally spotty, and if you offer a couple to security, you're golden. I would suggest the Two Fat Cats Bakery for cupcakes and whoopie pies.

When we were last there a couple had a few big boxes of Holy Donuts they easily boarded with...not sure if they handed out any ;)

Curious - why technically not allowed?

No food that is not factory sealed, or from a "certified" vendor is supposed to be brought on the ship for consumption, per the USPH/CDC requirements. Something in a Two Fat Cats bakery box would be more liable to get through than an unmarked plate of home made cookies or a baggie of trail mix, though as I say, enforcement is spotty.

No food that is not factory sealed, or from a "certified" vendor is supposed to be brought on the ship for consumption, per the USPH/CDC requirements. Something in a Two Fat Cats bakery box would be more liable to get through than an unmarked plate of home made cookies or a baggie of trail mix, though as I say, enforcement is spotty.

Thank you! That explains why my friend got the double inspection for her M &M's last summer.

Hi,

You might also consider ordering a cake from RCI (Gifts-n-Gear) and have it delivered on the day, time and location of your choice...maybe a bit more of a surprise.

Whoopie Pies - that's what I was thinking or maybe blueberry pie. I knew RCCL could do it too but I thought it might be more fun to order something and pick it up in Portland. Thanks for all the help :)

Looks like Whoopie Pies it is - is Two Fat Cats Bakery the place to go?

I mean, whoopie pies are the official State Treat, you can't get more Downeast than that. Two Fat Cats is great, a Food Network favorite, and in the fall they have seasonal whoopies like pumpkin. 5 minutes from the dock.

It seems odd that you would want to buy stuff and lug it on to the ship ... when the ship is full of goodies! I make sure that the front desk knows there is a birthday on board ... and let them take care of you.

Did your cruise line ask if there would be any special occasions on board? I know Holland America does.

It seems odd that you would want to buy stuff and lug it on to the ship ... when the ship is full of goodies! I make sure that the front desk knows there is a birthday on board ... and let them take care of you.

Did your cruise line ask if there would be any special occasions on board? I know Holland America does.

Because in a notably "foodie" city like Portland, you are going to get far better quality than the cruise line provides. I live in Portland, and have worked for the cruise lines. Besides, a box of a dozen whoopie pies wouldn't take up any more lugging than most of the tourist trinkets that get sold to cruise passengers. ;p

Because in a notably "foodie" city like Portland, you are going to get far better quality than the cruise line provides. I live in Portland, and have worked for the cruise lines. Besides, a box of a dozen whoopie pies wouldn't take up any more lugging than most of the tourist trinkets that get sold to cruise passengers. ;p

Ha Ha...Or the maple syrup I lug on.

I grew up on Lake Erie and heard of Whoopie Pies. My husband's family is closer to Pittsburgh and they were my first introduction to Gobs (of which now I make the cookie and MIL makes the filling). I didn't realize they were famous in Maine, but Whoopie Pies are definitely big in Central/Eastern PA (Amish country). There seems to be a big trend for different fillings and cookie flavors.

I grew up on Lake Erie and heard of Whoopie Pies. My husband's family is closer to Pittsburgh and they were my first introduction to Gobs (of which now I make the cookie and MIL makes the filling). I didn't realize they were famous in Maine, but Whoopie Pies are definitely big in Central/Eastern PA (Amish country). There seems to be a big trend for different fillings and cookie flavors.

Big controversy over who invented the whoopie pie, Maine, Mass, or PA.