Key West ship tour or do on your own?

mnlovesdisney

I have never been to Key West and am really excited our ship is stopping there. I am thinking this is a place we could easily just do on our own but since I've never been there I'm not sure. What would be the must sees here? I know I want to see the Hemingway house and Southern most point buoy but am totally unsure about the rest.

My first few times at Key West we took a trolley tour. You can get off and on as much as you want. The driver gives a good narrative, and can answer questions. We usually have found a Groupon for this, and have saved quite a bit of money. In my opinion, no need to pay for the ship excursion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We were recently in Key West for the first time and used the City Trolley Tour. We also found a Groupon that offered some savings.

We stayed on the first time around for the full tour, then got off for lunch and re-boarded the tour afterwards. On the second round we got off at places that interested us - Southern Most Point, Hemingway House, Lighthouse, etc.

There are other similar tours that you can book ahead of time or just walk up the day you arrive. There is also a free city bus loop, but I don't believe there is any narration by the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
We were recently in Key West for the first time and used the City Trolley Tour. We also found a Groupon that offered some savings.

We stayed on the first time around for the full tour, then got off for lunch and re-boarded the tour afterwards. On the second round we got off at places that interested us - Southern Most Point, Hemingway House, Lighthouse, etc.

There are other similar tours that you can book ahead of time or just walk up the day you arrive. There is also a free city bus loop, but I don't believe there is any narration by the driver.

City View Trolley is no longer in operation and has been taken over by Old Town Trolley, which is the better of the two anyway. The free bus loop is designed for transportation, and is fine for getting around, but it avoids the high traffic areas, which also happen to be where the points of interest are. I definitely advise taking a trolley tour and riding it the whole way through without hopping off the first time as you get the history, and then on the 2nd go-round, decide where you want to stop and visit.

City View Trolley is no longer in operation and has been taken over by Old Town Trolley, which is the better of the two anyway. The free bus loop is designed for transportation, and is fine for getting around, but it avoids the high traffic areas, which also happen to be where the points of interest are. I definitely advise taking a trolley tour and riding it the whole way through without hopping off the first time as you get the history, and then on the 2nd go-round, decide where you want to stop and visit.

I thought Cityview was the better of the 2 tours for cruise ship passengers. It stayed in Old Town, was less expensive and had padded seats. I guess it’s a moot point now that we’re back to a monopoly.

To answer the OP, you can certainly tour on your own. The main area of interest in about a square mile, easily walkable and the free bus is there if you’re tired. Here is a self guided walking tour if you’re interested in historic architecture:

https://oirf.org/page.php?p=pelican

Look at the top attractions listed for Key West on TripAdvisor and see what appeals to you. Truman’s Little Whitehouse, Mel Fisher Museum, the Butterfly Conservatory, The Audubon House and the Lighthouse are some examples of options. Be sure to save some time for the dozens of shops, restaurants and bars all over the area.

KW is extremely easy to do on your own - ride OTT to get a sense of where everything is and an audio tour and then simply walk to what interests you.

Just to give you a sense of distances - Duval Street from Mallory Square down to the Southrnmost point landmark is a tad over a mile and will take you ~25 minutes to walk.

We've stayed in KW several times - the Buoy landmark, Truman's Little White House, the lighthouse, Hemmingway's House, The Butterfly Conservatory - just check CC's sister site TripAdvisor.com for ideas on what interests you

We prefer doing it on our own.

This includes a walk around Key West, visiting the Little White House which Harry Truman used as President for rest and relaxation and sometimes for a meeting as well as the Hemingway House. There are nice shops there and places for lunch or a snack or dessert.

Keith

I'm in the crowd that says Key West is a place perfect for wandering on your own. Maps are plentiful and easy to follow so just pick out some places that might interest you and start walking. There are many awesome places within walking distance. We plan to eat and drink our way from Mallory Square to the southern most point, then repeat the eating and drinking on the way back to the ship. The cost of a tour would take a chunk out of our eating and drinking budget. :eek:

• 2 months later...
How far (walking) is the old town from where NCL docks?

You are not allowed to walk from the Outer Mole pier where you will dock and will be transported by tram to Front St where you are only steps from Duval St, bars, shopping and restaurants.

Mike:)

RCI is running a sale this weekend on it's tours. We will be on the Brilliance of the Seas. While I normally don't do ship tours we did just book the Conch Train Tour through the ship for $21 pp, which is less than what the discounted online rate for the same is through the Conch Train website. I did that tour 47 years ago while on vacation with a friend right after my HS graduation and loved it at that time. That was the last time I was in Key West and it will be my DH's first visit. This is a nostalgic "must do" for me.

My other "must-do's" are the Hemingway House and Key Lime Pie. We were wondering if we stayed on the train for the full loop would we have time to either stay on the train to go back to the Hemingway House on the second time around, walk back to the house from the drop off point near the ship after the tour, or should we hop on and hop off at that location? Are there long lines at either the HH or the HOHO stop? Our ship is in port from 11AM - 5:30 PM, so we would need to be back on the ship by 5 PM. On the map it looks like we can easily walk back fro the HH along Duval Street and possibly pick up our key lime pie along the way.

• 2 weeks later...

My other "must-do's" are the Hemingway House and Key Lime Pie. We were wondering if we stayed on the train for the full loop would we have time to either stay on the train to go back to the Hemingway House on the second time around, walk back to the house from the drop off point near the ship after the tour, or should we hop on and hop off at that location? Are there long lines at either the HH or the HOHO stop? Our ship is in port from 11AM - 5:30 PM, so we would need to be back on the ship by 5 PM. On the map it looks like we can easily walk back fro the HH along Duval Street and possibly pick up our key lime pie along the way.

I went to HH in January. No lines, other than waiting for the person selling tickets to answer other people’s questions, like, “Do we have to pay full price to just go see the cats?” Um, yes.

There are tours included in the admission price that start every half hour or so. You can also wander around on your own and stay as long as you’d like. Highly recommend.

I have never been to Key West and am really excited our ship is stopping there. I am thinking this is a place we could easily just do on our own but since I've never been there I'm not sure. What would be the must sees here? I know I want to see the Hemingway house and Southern most point buoy but am totally unsure about the rest.

Get off the ship head to Truman’s summer White House. Leave there walk down the same street to

Hemingway’s ,go onto,Duval,and hit the point. You can even sit on beach. Walk back up Duvall street stopping along the way for lunch and a few drinks. By then you will wander bsck to ship.