Review of HAL Zaandam SA/Antarctica Cruise with lots of Photos & Menus

MVPinBoynton

We have just posted a review to our website with lots of photos of our recently completed South America/Antarctica cruise on the Holland America Zaandam. Also included are menus from all of the bars and eating venues.

It was just an awesome cruise to an amazing part of the world. Even though we had done a SouthAmerica cruise in 2011, this was a totally different experience. We saw different things in the ports we had previously visited and were so very pleased with the two new ports in Chile. But the stars of the cruise, were the Falklands and Antarctica. Truly amazing places to visit. Standing next to thousands of beautiful King Penguins was such a thrill.

Ant_Mike-1339.jpg

Ant_Mike-1360.jpg

Being able to cruise through the grandeur of Antarctica, was truly unbelievable. I never thought I would be able to experience Antarctica in person. Carol would never be able to do an expedition cruise there, so being able to cruise through Antarctica for four days was a dream come true for us. I have probably put way too many photos in the review; but I want to be able to remember the majesty of this secluded part of the world. The photos in the review are of a low resolution to keep the size of the review down; but they can still give an idea of what we experienced. But even the full size high resolution photos can’t compare to the drop-dead beauty we got to see with our own eyes. Everyone should put Antarctica on their bucket list. You will be glad you did.

Ant_MikeiPh-3597.jpg

Ant_Mike-2439.jpg

The review is located on our website, which is linked to in my signature. I hope it is helpful for those of you that are planning a vacation to this beautiful part of the world; or that it brings back some fond memories to those of you who have been able to visit these places.

I am really looking forward to reading your account. We are booked on this cruise next January. I used your 2011 South America blog as a guide to booking our shore excursions when we went around the Horn a few years ago and am looking forward to doing the same this time. Thanks so much!

I am really looking forward to reading your account. We are booked on this cruise next January. I used your 2011 South America blog as a guide to booking our shore excursions when we went around the Horn a few years ago and am looking forward to doing the same this time. Thanks so much!

I am glad I was able to help on your last cruise. We did use a lot of different guides this time, because we didn't have the large local group go with us on this cruise. We had great guides this time too, as a repeat from last time. Have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
We have just posted a review to our website with lots of photos of our recently completed South America/Antarctica cruise on the Holland America Zaandam. Also included are menus from all of the bars and eating venues.

<snip>

The review is located on our website, which is linked to in my signature. I hope it is helpful for those of you that are planning a vacation to this beautiful part of the world; or that it brings back some fond memories to those of you who have been able to visit these places.

I just wanted to thank you for your intensive reviews and beautiful pictures. I think we're sometimes following you around the world, LOL, about a year behind you! Your Asia cruise in March 2015 was fantastic to read, and it was excellent research on a similar cruise we did in April 2016. Now, being able to read about your cruise to SA (2011 and 2018) and Antarctica, when we're going January, 2019? Simply awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to post your wonderful reviews.

Best wishes!

In addition to Mike's fantastic blog & photos, I just discovered a couple of beautiful videos of Antarctica from this same cruise posted on YouTube. Here are the links...

Thanks so much for posting those links. I quit looking for videos after our cruise, so didn't see them. I remember seeing the guy constantly taking videos during the cruise; kind of like I was constantly taking photos.

Thanks so much for posting those links. I quit looking for videos after our cruise, so didn't see them. I remember seeing the guy constantly taking videos during the cruise; kind of like I was constantly taking photos.

I am hoping that he posts some videos from the ports as well.

• 9 months later...
51 minutes ago, VA Emily said:

This was fantastic MVPinBoyon!  Thank you for sharing, Preismans.  We start our South America cruise in Santiago on February 14 and I am so looking forward to it after viewing these photos!

Glad you enjoyed it. You will really like the real thing. It is an awesome cruise. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2018 at 10:23 AM, MVPinBoynton said:

Hi, Mike!  Thanks so much for your post and the great photos.  I will access your site for Zaandam info, too.  I have booked the April 24th 10-day to New England and Canada, and am really looking forward to experiencing one of the older HAL ships that I have not sailed on before.  Any recommendations?

~Barbara~

47 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

Hi, Mike!  Thanks so much for your post and the great photos.  I will access your site for Zaandam info, too.  I have booked the April 24th 10-day to New England and Canada, and am really looking forward to experiencing one of the older HAL ships that I have not sailed on before.  Any recommendations?

~Barbara~

You are most welcome Barbara.  I liked the 3 HAL cruises I have been on and look forward to more of them.   In 2013 we did Canada New England cruise on Celebrity that was great.  You might want to look at that review for recommendations.  

20 minutes ago, MVPinBoynton said:

You are most welcome Barbara.  I liked the 3 HAL cruises I have been on and look forward to more of them.   In 2013 we did Canada New England cruise on Celebrity that was great.  You might want to look at that review for recommendations.  

I have just looked at your extensive review of this cruise on the Zaandam and now blame you for the 5 lbs. I gained reading the menus!  I am hoping that at least some of those wonderful items will be available this April.  Thanks again for posting all your fabulous reviews and photos, and hello to Carol!

~Barbara~