Just say no to St. Barts!

wallyworld583

I was there aboard the Silver Wind (Silversea cruise line), which only had 225 passengers. Everything in port was open, and I did not hear of any water issues. However, the island is terribly overpriced. We walked to Shell Beach (Caution, lots of nudity witnessed here), and had a burger and a few beers at Le Select. Next year, our B2B stops there twice. I think we will book a tour the first time, and see how that goes, maybe the same 2nd week.

Shots, we are there at the moment and did the same. Our 271 compliment seemed welcome too. We did the same as you and walked to shell beach. We didn't stay masses of time. Annoyingly I got to the dock, then realised I had no Euros ... (I brought a stash of euros with me) ... and ended up using an ATM equivalent to get €100 ... dunno what that's gonna cost me!

Found a supermarket mixed amongst the designer shops ... prices seemed not overly high as anticipated.

To be honest, it wasn't somewhere I'd want to rush back to... but... the SS guide was on my tender back and explained there was a regatta today.

If you thought the Island smelt of money, that was nothing in comparison with the huge yachts we saw all afternoon racing. Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
Les,

Sorry, just now seeing this. I am once again looking for something more exciting and different to do on our B2B that won't break the bank. Two stops here, one on DH's birthday! Maybe we will give a ship's tour a chance.

Check the dates you are there and look up st Barts bucket regatta. It's a 4 day event. If it coincides, you are in for a treat. With hindsight, because of this event, I'd probably say st Barts was the most rewarding.

Edit... it's 15-18 March 2018

You are in for a treat.... I'm envious!

Something else to look at maybe .... google st Barts airport on you tube

If there are any flights, you'd be very close and personal! Small planes only.

Edited by les37b

• 2 months later...
We've never had a problem with our visits.

Keith

Same with us. We always make a lunch reservation at one of the top hotels and they are very nice to us. Set us up with chairs and towels on the beach also. It is St. Bart's so we know how pricey it is, but we are on vacation and that is part of it. Not usual for a $150 to $175 lunch but worth it.

• 5 months later...

Just a side note: they are French so everyday they close up shop for like 2-3 hours. We have stayed there 5 times. The shops don’t open until later then close for several hours and then stay open late so there is a slight chance that the closing shops had nothing to do with cruise ship passengers.