Key West Places to Eat

meicheraxo

Thirsty Mermaid is open we can try that.

Keywester--which is better--mussels or clams if I decide to choose? I'm more inclined to try the mussels but do not know why.

Yes, thirsty mermaid is open and is very good.

I prefer mussels to clams, but I think it's a matter of taste rather than one being better than the other.

Enjoy your trip!

• 2 weeks later...
I know this is a late post, But! We used live down in KW and El Siboney is where we ate all the time. Dinner is pricey, but sandwiches normal prices. So good. I have a friend that is a conch and she said 5 guys has awesome burgers. I have not ate there, but I would take her word!

We eat at El Siboney quite often and think it's one of the most reasonably priced restaurants on the island, love their food.

Five Guys is a chain and they can be found all over. I know many people like them but I've never been a fan. I personally think the burgers at Smokin' Tuna or Sunset Pier are better.

• 2 weeks later...
We eat at El Siboney quite often and think it's one of the most reasonably priced restaurants on the island, love their food.

Five Guys is a chain and they can be found all over. I know many people like them but I've never been a fan. I personally think the burgers at Smokin' Tuna or Sunset Pier are better.

Yes, agree! If I go some place different, I DO NOT LIKE going to the chains. I want to try as local as possible and hole in the walls are the best. LOL some are...LOL

• 1 month later...
Hey Keywester33, didn't see it mentioned in this thread so I thought I'd ask for your thoughts on Santiago's Bodega? Reviews I have read have been really good.

Most agree it is the #1 restaurant in town. Reservations are strongly urged as it is very busy.

Mike:)

Most agree it is the #1 restaurant in town. Reservations are strongly urged as it is very busy.

Ok, that was my next question. In one of the reviews they mentioned that they overheard the guy at the front on the phone telling someone that they were booked solid for the next two weeks.

Hey Keywester33, didn't see it mentioned in this thread so I thought I'd ask for your thoughts on Santiago's Bodega? Reviews I have read have been really good.

For me, the number 1 place in town depends what you want to eat. Everyone has different taste and while I really like Santiago's Bodega, their menu lacks local seafood. Unless it has changed recently, the only local fish is grouper fingers, basically fried fish sticks, and I think they have Tuna Ceviche. It's a great place for a group to enjoy tapas and they have lots of great things on the menu, but if I were a visitor I would want to try fresh local seafood, simply prepared.

In my opinion, better options for this are Blackfin Bistro, Bagatelle, Salute and The Thirsty Mermaid. If you are here in the evening, 7 Fish, Azur, Flaming Buoy or Little Pearl would be others with excellent fresh fish.

Of course, if you are not interested in local seafood, Santiago's has very good food and is fun with a group. You do have to reserve in advance.

It's a great place for a group to enjoy tapas and they have lots of great things on the menu, but if I were a visitor I would want to try fresh local seafood, simply prepared.

Yeah, I wasn't actually looking for the "one" place to go, as most might be on this board coming off a cruise ship. I will be down for a week in May. I'll be trying many of the others as well.

Was in Key West last week and loved Santiago Bodega! They have a Happy Hour and it is well worth going early.

Also went twice for lunch at Kermits for the Cuban sandwich! They make it with ham and pulled pork. really good. Had the key lime pie too. Liked it

Also loved Latitude. Very romantic with the Xmas lights on the Palm trees. Green fronds and white on the trunks. Liked the key lime pie here as it had meringue on top. Was interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
Try El Siboney. Authentic Cuban food that is awesome. At the intersection of Catherine, and Margaret if I recall. Get there before the lunch rush, or the line will be out the door.

We had lunch at El Siboney on Christmas Day and it was fantastic!! While a little pricey for lunch, we enjoyed everything we had. And the homemade sangria was delicious too!

• 1 month later...

I know it's old, but I'd add my choice of Latitudes here as well. Lunch is good and dinner is great. I'd still go for lunch if visiting on a cruise. The little free boat ride is a nice addition and adds to the experience. For dinner, Latitudes is probably the best restaurant in Key West IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

If choosing between Santiago’s and Louie’s, which one would you all prefer?

It would be for lunch. I like the idea of the view from Louie’s, but if it’s going to be not-so-great food at an expensive price, just for the view, I don’t want that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If choosing between Santiago’s and Louie’s, which one would you all prefer?

It would be for lunch. I like the idea of the view from Louie’s, but if it’s going to be not-so-great food at an expensive price, just for the view, I don’t want that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I said earlier, Santiago’s has great food. It’s lots of small plates, and relatively reasonably priced for Key West. However, they do not have much in the way of fresh, local seafood, which is something most visitors want to try. Louie’s will be expensive, but they will feature fresh seafood options and specials. I’ve never had a bad meal at Louie’s, so I don’t think you will be getting “not so great food.”

The food is excellent at both places. The setting at Louie’s is beautiful and much nicer than the atmosphere at Santiago’s. Why not look at both online menus and see which one you prefer?

As I said earlier, Santiago’s has great food. It’s lots of small plates, and relatively reasonably priced for Key West. However, they do not have much in the way of fresh, local seafood, which is something most visitors want to try. Louie’s will be expensive, but they will feature fresh seafood options and specials. I’ve never had a bad meal at Louie’s, so I don’t think you will be getting “not so great food.”

The food is excellent at both places. The setting at Louie’s is beautiful and much nicer than the atmosphere at Santiago’s. Why not look at both online menus and see which one you prefer?

I did look at both menus and my husband and I both liked Louie’s menu better. I just wasn’t sure if it was someplace that LOOKED good but didn’t taste that great. It doesn’t necessarily have to be seafood, but we both love it so that is always a plus. I am going to call them to attempt to make reservations. Is there any suggestion as far as requesting where we would like to sit? It is mid May, so I’m not sure how bad the temps will be and if sitting outside is even a possibility....or if they even take that type of request.

Also, I just realized that our day in KW lands on Mother’s Day. How bad will the restaurants be during lunch? Should we just do something quick to avoid wasting half the day in a restaurant?

You should have no trouble sitting outside at Louie’s in May. There is typically a nice seabreeze and a tree and umbrellas to block the sun. I would reserve and request an outdoor table.

Mother’s Day will be busy and you may see lots of locals out celebrating, but as long as you have a reservation, Louie’s is used to busy days and I think your lunch will be very nice.

You should have no trouble sitting outside at Louie’s in May. There is typically a nice seabreeze and a tree and umbrellas to block the sun. I would reserve and request an outdoor table.

Mother’s Day will be busy and you may see lots of locals out celebrating, but as long as you have a reservation, Louie’s is used to busy days and I think your lunch will be very nice.

Thank you! I will try to call them tomorrow and set up a reservation. Hopefully there is still a good bit of availability this early on.

• 1 month later...
Will be in KW in 3 weeks, would like to know some good places to eat or grab a drink? Will only be there for lunchtime. I'm a foodie so would love suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Latitudes, excellent food from lobster salad to fish tacos...you take the ferry from Key West to Sunset Key. Cannot wait to go back in August, something for lunch while in port.

• 5 weeks later...

My mom wants to eat somewhere where she has a view of the water. We just want to make it a lunch stop (so I won't want to take the ferry out to Sunset Key for Latitudes) since we have a bunch of plans for the day including the Butterfly Conservatory, wine tasting, shopping for my godson for something Key West related who's baby shower I am missing because it was the only day the grandmother could schedule and getting Key Lime pie. Any suggestions. I would like some sort of sea food and a good drink! We will be there on Sunday July 29th!