Easter Island

tatabea

We are wanting to take our granddaughter to Easter Island. We’re not even sure if a cruise is the way to go, vs a tour. We are thinking of spring or fall of 2019.

What is the best time to go? Cruise or land tour? Can those of you who have done this please give us any insight?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

(I also posted on the world cruise board)

Thank you!

We are wanting to take our granddaughter to Easter Island. We’re not even sure if a cruise is the way to go, vs a tour. We are thinking of spring or fall of 2019.

What is the best time to go? Cruise or land tour? Can those of you who have done this please give us any insight?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

(I also posted on the world cruise board)

Thank you!

We've done Oceania from Valpo to Tahiti with an overnight at Easter Island. Used Easter Island travel for private tour (Marcus and his crew).

The biggest problem doing it by cruise ship is that ocean conditions there are very changeable and tenders often can't go to shore (we only made it ashore on day 1 of 2).

Pitcairn Island (HMS Bounty) is also a stop where the Island inhabitants usually come out to the ship rather than the other way around.

But, Easter Island was so unique! Just ask my friend here:

e463139f3d50c29932870e5445d123ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the destination is the objective then a cruise is not the best way to get there. Some ports of call are cancelled more often and Easter Island is one of them as it is difficult to tender due to waves and wind plus the captain has to consider getting the pax back onto the ship hours later. Best of both worlds is take a cruise and then a flight to Easter Island and back. LAN has daily flights from Santiago and weekly from Papeete. What a great adventure for your grand daughter!

I would go by plane if the destination is key.

I say this because on a cruise ship there is no guarantee that they will be able to run the tender service on the day of your stop due to choppy seas. On our visit in 2015 the captain was within minutes of canceling our day there due to the high winds and choppy seas.

Keith

We flew in from Lima, Peru. Three nights is more than enough time to experience the whole island. We just happened to be there for the Tapati Festival. I would highly recommend going to the festival which takes place in Feb. Great parade and evening shows. There are plenty of local tours to take around the island. Stay near the town centre so you can walk to all the festivities. Don't forget to go to the post office and get special passport stamps.

• 3 weeks later...

Easter Island...wow...its amazing and I agree about cruise v flying there. The chances of being able to land are usually less than 50/50 as all ships have to rely on tendering in a very changeable sea.

If you go you must get in touch with James Grant Peterkin, he is the British consul there and has a travel company called Easter Island Spirit. He is an expert in the Island and its history and studies languages. Accommodation is limited on the island and James will be able to guide you there.

Its an incredible experience, your grand-daughter is very lucky!

• 2 months later...

I went there, before joining NCL (SUN) from Valparaiso Southbound to Buenos Aires RT.

I flew there and stayed NINE Days - and even that was too short!! I hope to return there and stay 1-2 months!! It is an incredible place and truly worthwhile to stay longer, so you can get a feeling for the place, get to know some Locals and make sure that you go to SUNDAY MASS!!!

Most Tourists come by Plane for 1,2 or Max 3 days stay only....... and as previous people already mentioned - Cruise Ships sometimes cannot Tender and just "cruise past".

I still hope to find a Ship that will actually STOP at PITCAIRN - as I wish to go onto the Rock ..... literally!! I know it is not easy to find a Ship that will stop there - except some of the Nat Geographic ones - but they are just WAY TO EXPENSIVE.

If anybody has any info (apart from taking a Freighter who delivers Goods there) on Specific Ships that go there = please let me know.

• 1 month later...

Will be going in January 2019 on the Aranui 5. Yes I know you said no freighters but have you looked into the Aranui? She is have freighter and half cruise ship. Can't wait to go. Have been on her once before but this will be there maiden voyage to the Pitcairn Islands [emoji267].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great to know YOU are going :):):)cruisefun27 - I wish I could go too!! Yes, I have known about the ARANUI for several years and had wanted to go to the Marquesas on her. Missed out on a berth a few years ago, when she went to the Special Celebration Dance Festival - where her stop coincided with the Festival in Nuku Hiva - but she was fully booked!!

I did receive a notice from one of the Cruise Agencies (Ultimate Cruising) I use, that Aranui is sailing to Pitcairn, but this trip is frightfully expensive - way above my limited means (unfortunately).... something like $13,279.00 pp for a 16 Day trip in March 2019.

Apparently, Aranui scheduled only 2 Cruises to Pitcairn Island in 2019 - and they both sold out immediately. Maybe I get a chance in the future?

I look forward to read about your Experience on that trip.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...