More info on LaPaz & Loreto, please

57redbird

I've read the few posts on the 2 ports but would really like more info about both...contemplating a cruise that hits both of them & trying to decide if they should be on our 'must-see' list or should we should stay on the boat..... TIA.

I've read the few posts on the 2 ports but would really like more info about both...contemplating a cruise that hits both of them & trying to decide if they should be on our 'must-see' list or should we should stay on the boat..... TIA.

Which cruise line? We’ve been to both....meh

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Both of these are true Mexican cities/towns. They do not cater to American tastes, as Cabo does.

For a truly authentic Mexican souvenir in Loreto, check out the weaver along the Plaza. He makes many of the blankets, wall hangings etc in the shop. Bonus- The Building is an extremely old adobe.

La Paz is the Capital of Baja California Sur. Check out the Church and the Museum across from the Plaza.

Loreto and La Pa are the upper range of the Blue Footed Boobie. Was lucky to see one soaring around the seal stature at the Loreto pier.

Loreto is a tender port.

La Paz requires a shuttle, using normal touring coaches. There is a decent flea market at port. One time we swam with whale sharks.

Both of these are true Mexican cities/towns. They do not cater to American tastes, as Cabo does.

For a truly authentic Mexican souvenir in Loreto, check out the weaver along the Plaza. He makes many of the blankets, wall hangings etc in the shop. Bonus- The Building is an extremely old adobe.

La Paz is the Capital of Baja California Sur. Check out the Church and the Museum across from the Plaza.

Loreto and La Pa are the upper range of the Blue Footed Boobie. Was lucky to see one soaring around the seal stature at the Loreto pier.

Loreto is a tender port.

La Paz requires a shuttle, using normal touring coaches. There is a decent flea market at port. One time we swam with whale sharks.

Hi Sadie, will be on the Ruby next month, an will be in both ports. Any other things to know about these two ports, like the Clambake in Loreto? Thanks.

Hi Sadie, will be on the Ruby next month, an will be in both ports. Any other things to know about these two ports, like the Clambake in Loreto? Thanks.

Sorry, last time in Loreto we walked around and had lunch at a place with no name. We’ve also ate at a taco place El Tacos de Rey (?) or something similar to that. Chocolate Clams are the thing there. Good if you like clams.

In La Paz we eat in the Mercado (about 240 Pesos for entrees and fresh squeezed OJ for three of us) near the bus transfer station. It’s straight up from the Burger King. Around the corner, on the street is a churro stand. Made to order with caramel and crema. About 20pesos for a decent sized bag. Also, we stop at the ice cream shop on the Malecon behind the polka-dotted tree. Check out the Wyland mural. There is a ceramics, Weaver and glass blower tour that gives a decent overview of the city.

If the weather is good, La Paz is good for a beach day. 2 nice locations are Balandra Beach and Tecolote Beach. Balandra has a beautiful blue water lagoon and super nice sand. The services are somewhat limited, if I remember correctly, but it is possible to rent a kayak for paddling around. Tecolote Beach is across Espiritu Santo Island and has lots of beach restaurants and bars if you like that sort of thing. You can also take a boat ride across to Espiritu Santo to see the whale sharks.

Both are located close to one another in the direction opposite to town from the port. I am sure you can find a taxi or take a ship's tour to either or both of these locations. For me, the malecon in La Paz is just so so, while the beaches and scenery are very nice.

Never been in Loreto, but hope to make it sometime for a long weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

We had our best vacation ever in Loreto. It was before cruise ships but it was such a quaint city. There is an old mission in town that is gorgeous. There is another one about 50 miles away, but I went there 20 years ago and don't remember much about it except it was neat. I don't know if there is an excursion there, but it is nice up there. The beaches are rocky, but we went on a snorkeling tour and saw a WHALE SHARK. It swam right up to our boat (I think it was longer than the boat) and some people jumped in to swim with it. There are smaller islands and a place where you can swim with the sea lions in natural habitat (but I don't know if that has been exploited and ruined). And, the food is amazing.

In La Paz, there was the cathedral not too far from where we docked and food sold on the malecon that was so yummy!

Hmmm. Probably not that helpful, but enjoy Loreto. It was a gorgeous little town.

For us these two ports are the highlight of the trip. Don't stay on the boat :)

As mentioned, there is a shuttle from Pichilingue to La Paz, and with any luck your "host" on the bus will be as informative as the ones we have had in the past.

I agree with SelectSys on the two beaches. At one time there was a shuttle to one of them (I think it was Balandra....), but the last time we were there the "beach shuttle" ran toward La Paz, to what appeared to be a more tourist-focused small beach.

Both ports are truly a taste of Mexico that you will not get in Cabo, PV, or Mazatlan.

Are you thinking Nov 28, Eurodam? :)

Thanks, Venn & yes. We aren't beach people - more into seeing the sights.

We may see you onboard then (y) :)

La Paz has grown a LOT since we first went there, with many highrise condos on the outskirts of town. But the centre of town is still very non-touristy, catering to the local population. One time we were there, there was a market of Oaxacan artisans in the central park area. Other times, it has been local folks selling handicrafts and food in the central park.

There will also be a large group of vendors at the dock area in Pichilingue. I've purchased some lovely silver jewelry there. At one time Sea of Cortez Pearls had a display inside, just as one exits to catch the shuttle buses. (Google for more info if you are interested -- there was a native population of pearl-producing oysters that was wiped out by over harvesting and disease, then reintroduced near Guaymas by a university in the 1990s. The pearls are unusual and spectacular <3 I have one as a pendant, and I prize it highly.) However, I did not see them there the last time we were in La Paz.

I will go back through my blog and my pictures to refresh my memory :) about both La Paz and Loreto.

Had a look at my pics to refresh my memory :)

The malecon in La Paz is lovely, well worth spending some time there. The water offshore of it is not suitable for swimming.

In La Paz we just wandered the downtown area, then went back to the ship to catch the shuttle to the beach. So I can't help with "Must-See" types of architecture/buildings and such.

In Loreto we've kayaked a couple of times through a ship excursion. It was very interesting, we got to see where a bunch of rich part-time residents live :) and then we got to enjoy the natural beauty of the area from our kayaks. Lots of birds. LOTS. A couple of other visits, we just wandered around, ate .... enjoyed the sand and warmth.

Wish I could have been of more help. But I encourage you to visit both of these towns.

(And BTW this sailing of the Eurodam may be in PV and environs at the right time to release baby turtles, in case that interests you at all)

la paz has the whale sharks.better times to see them,but I'm sure they are there all year long.coronado island we went to in loreto.nice boat trip.two different views of the island.volcanic one side with sea lions and the other side white sand beaches.dolphins too.the town center was very nice.shops and bars and a 1600 century church too.

Sadie -- please tell me more about the shuttle....HAL sponsored/free...

• 4 months later...

We have never been to La Paz but going on Eurodam in November. We are interested in whale shark tours-prefer private not ship (too many people). The dock in Center of town is where we were told by one company they would pick us up-does anyone know if we can take a taxi there and how much roughly and is US dollars ok? I’ve read free shuttles but then you wait for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

CanadianBear,

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, but we've been out of town & didn't have great wi-fi, so didn't get on CruiseCritic.

We did a Baja & Sea of Cortez cruise in Jan. 2017, and one of the absolute highlights was snorkeling with the whale sharks. I set up a tour for 4 of us with Espiritu Baja. They picked us up at the dock, we walked a short distance to a small boat (panga), and they took us across the bay into LaPaz where their office was located. There, we went in to pay and to get wetsuits (we paid $10, I think, for those) and fins (we have our own, but didn't want to pack them on this trip--we just brought our own masks & snorkels). They charged $70 each. 5 or 6 other people joined us on the panga out to find the whale sharks. Our guide, Claude, was amazing and our driver did a great job getting us up close to the animals. He would get us alongside, then Claude would take a few of us at a time into the water & next to them as they fed. When the whale shark swam off, we'd go off & find another one. Everyone on the boat got to get in the water and swim with the sharks at least 3 times. The friends with us didn't want to snorkel but got great views of the whale sharks anyway as they were very near the surface.

I think the tour was about 4 hrs. and was really good. They returned us right to the dock where our ship was, and we had time to take a shuttle into town & look around a little. There was an artist on the sidewalk who was painting on small pieces of glass & we got a neat picture of the whale sharks for very little (maybe $6?).

konatyme,

No worries. Since I posted I have actually booked the whale shark snorkel with VIP Tours. Organized 6 of us from our ship for this which is the maximum they take out.

Can hardly wait as I’ve also purchased a prescription mask.

I believe our ship does not dock close so we have to either take shuttle or we are hoping to share a taxi.

Thanks for your post though, appreciate your info.