Since you're paying double...

wileyc

I'm going on my first cruise solo with Royal Caribbean in February, I have a standard cabin (not a studio) to myself (Single Supplement, so basically paying double), I am traveling with a group of other people from a local activity group. I did manage to buy the drink package for 30% off at least.

Has anyone who's traveled solo on these types of cruise ships gotten any "perks" from the cruise line. Example, an upgraded state room or even a comped meal in a specialty restaurant? Since I'm effectively paying for 2 people, I'm not going to be eating for two... So a perk or two would be nice. I assume that the answer is no, but there's no harm in asking.

I’ve been solo on Royal Caribbean and only received the double points. I did receive an unexpected free upgrade for my upcoming May 2018 Princess cruise from a BF (forward) balcony to a BA (midship) balcony; however, the cruise wasn’t selling well at the time (it is a 10 day Caribbean cruise) and I do not believe my solo status was the reason I was upgraded. Just luck of the draw and the first time I have received an upgrade.

I've never received a perk or upgrade just for sailing as a solo.

Revenue models onboard ship are set up such that ships count on two people per cabin doing onboard spending (photos, tours, specialty dining, etc) to be profitable. For this reason solos aren't exactly desireable. It's a hard pill to swallow, as a solo, but that's the way it is.

I generally try to look for lines that offer lower single supplements or else for cruises where there are really good prices to start with (making the solo supplement easier on the wallet). I don't expect any onboard perks.

Nope, but then I don't pay double. I can't say I never would, but so far I've never paid a 100% single supplement. I don't want perqs, I want to be treated like any other passenger, and if they can do that (without making me feel singled out for traveling solo), then I'm happy.

• 2 months later...

I don't see the single supplement as an issue to be honest. I mean, heck, I would be paying double occupancy if I were staying at a resort so what's the difference? And single supplement or not, most often, cruising still comes out to be way cheaper than most land vacation packages, so I still come out on top financially and enjoy a lavish vacation regardless! :)

P.S.: And to make up for the single supplement - your excursions will be cheaper because you are only booking for one person, your specialty restaurants will be cheaper because you are only reserving for one person, and if you get the beverage package, you only need to purchase one per cabin where, at least on Carnival, every person over 21 in the cabin MUST purchase if one does. So....solo is still cheaper :)

• 3 weeks later...
I've never received a perk or upgrade just for sailing as a solo.

Revenue models onboard ship are set up such that ships count on two people per cabin doing onboard spending (photos, tours, specialty dining, etc) to be profitable. For this reason solos aren't exactly desireable. It's a hard pill to swallow, as a solo, but that's the way it is.

I generally try to look for lines that offer lower single supplements or else for cruises where there are really good prices to start with (making the solo supplement easier on the wallet). I don't expect any onboard perks.

I don't know if I buy that solo cruisers aren't desirable. Would the cruise lines really balk at a person who pays the fare for two, but is only using resources such as food for one? What's to stop that solo person from spending extra on the ship?

I think it goes more into how do you properly solve such a need? Because yea, giving them a normal room for half price is a huge loss. How many people are really solo travelers? Do you make rooms that are half the size, essentially closets, to accommodate them? Do you do this for interior, balcony, and suite? Does that take away from normal bookings and/or leave unoccupied room? Or do you do what they've done and just tell solo travelers to pay the same as everyone else, and do what they want with it?

I have never received any perks like that while sailing solo on RCCL the only perk I am aware of is you get double points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is interesting. Does anyone know if you get double credits with HAL?

Funny way to look at it - if we pay double - we may have spent out budget for that cruise. If I pay less, I go for mani-petti's, massages. More $ to plan on a port tour.

The more I pay upfront, the less I spend on board.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going on my first cruise solo with Royal Caribbean in February, I have a standard cabin (not a studio) to myself (Single Supplement, so basically paying double), I am traveling with a group of other people from a local activity group. I did manage to buy the drink package for 30% off at least.

Has anyone who's traveled solo on these types of cruise ships gotten any "perks" from the cruise line. Example, an upgraded state room or even a comped meal in a specialty restaurant? Since I'm effectively paying for 2 people, I'm not going to be eating for two... So a perk or two would be nice. I assume that the answer is no, but there's no harm in asking.

I've been very fortunate. Out of 10 solo cruises, have been upgraded 8 times. Best one was a double upgrade---inside to obstructed view to balcony.

I cruise only with Princess. Guess they like me or something.

I'm doing a 49 day South American Cruise with Princess in February. So ...I'm taking a big wallet hit. I'm very independent person and when I want to get up and go ...I do. That doesn't sit well with a lot of people. I had two friends in my life that I didn't mind vacationing with ...but illness struck ..then death.

I went on a Holiday with a long time neighbor ...she shattered my let's-go-on-a-trip-and-be-roommates thinking. Yikes. So I'm doing this by myself. No arguments over tipping, no discussions on where to go and what to do. I just do. Selfish ...possibly; but peace of mind is worth it to me.

I've never gotten any perk for booking solo but I have never paid a full double occupancy. I try and book as early as I can so that I get the best rates and it's worked so far. My peace of mind is worth any amount though so I don't mind.

I have paid double on a couple of cruises, but was willing to pay for the experience. But I've also sought out options without the single supplement (Princess - Canada/New England) and RCCL (upcoming in Jan 2019). NCL offers solo cabins, with no supplement (obviously). The deals are out there!

What do you get when you play double is the double points - as a result I'm Platinum on Princess and just a few cruises short of Elite status. With the status (whatever line) come the perks.

Another option is to pick a RCCL ship that has studio rooms, like the Brilliance, going out of Tampa. I found on a Baltic cruise last year that the best strategy for Norwegian, even on the ships with studios, is to book an inside shortly before the cruise--I got a 9-day Baltic cruise for $650. Expedia is now a godsend for solo cruisers, since you can search for a cruise for 1 person. HAL and Norwegian also have a listing of upcoming cruises on sale--I found a 7-day Alaska cruise on HAL for $600 in early September, during an unusual warm/sunny spell.

I also show my displeasure with a single supplement by refusing to buy photos, specialty dining, merchandise, ship excursions, or gambling--if they're going to be unfair to me to maximize their profits, then I'm going to make it a point to minimize their take (and direct my drinking/shopping/excursion money to more deserving businesses in ports). I guess I could also try to eat for 2, but that wouldn't probably be a good strategy healthwise.

I travel solo on NCL and actually get shortchanged. I wanted extra towels in my cabin. They said there was only one person in room, you get 2 towels. When I told them I was paying for 2 people, my towels showed up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've done over 20 cruises with Royal. About 14 solo. Never received an upgrade. I don't believe they value solo travellers. I am tired if seeing couples I know get upgrade after upgrade when they have a lower loyalty status, while I pay more and have never gotten an upgrade of any sort.

I've done over 20 cruises with Royal. About 14 solo. Never received an upgrade. I don't believe they value solo travellers. I am tired if seeing couples I know get upgrade after upgrade when they have a lower loyalty status, while I pay more and have never gotten an upgrade of any sort.

If the status quo is so upsetting to you, vote with your money … Go where you are valued as a solo traveler.

Ramona

Don't feel badly. Look at my signature. On HAL, I have only received two upsells on the same cruise for a reasonable price for both. (Standard veranda to a Signature Suite to a Neptune Suite) No free upgrades ever--so far. (Hope springs eternal.)

On Princess, for my next cruise in December, I have recently received a free upgrade from a Standard Veranda to a well-located Mini-Suite. (Neither my travel agent nor I understand why for certain this far before sailing. She does have a theory, however.) This is my first free upgrade in all of my years of cruising.

I don't worry about upgrades. I book a cabin I am happy with, at a price I am good with...…….that is what matters

most to me.

I have to agree with the previous poster though, if you are unhappy with the cruise line, the best thing to do would be to find another one that makes you feel more valued.

No

, I pay double for my suite and get nothing extra I pay the same as a solo now as we ; paid for the two of us in same cabin, same ship, same itinerary. When it was Dh and me,we paid the same amount. No extras,