Welcome to Tightwad Cruising - What Do You Do?

Come on guys, give the OP a break!

He has some unique ideas. Besides his ingenuity, he has attracted 313,000 views and 674 comments. And his thread is running for nearly 10 years!!!

If Id’ve realised when I read the post that it was old, I wouldn’t have wasted time answering!!!

So I’ll say goodbye to this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If Id’ve realised when I read the post that it was old, I wouldn’t have wasted time answering!!!

So I’ll say goodbye to this thread

Yes it is a waist of time.

When no constructive input is given.

There are a lot of people not rich enough to throw money away, who do need to make every dollar count, and this thread even though old has a wealth of tips, for those who don't have the money to waste.

Not to mention those who can make a second or longer cruise on savings that can be made from the tips here.

Keep heart you people who give of your experiences, there are many of us who appreciate it.

The fact that this thread is still alive, gives some indication of it's value.

If you have the wealth to throw around, lucky you enjoy it, but don't criticize others who are more careful.

Regards

It's just not only the cruise industry it's many of the service industries where tips are expected. I have always thought that if you own a business you pay the employee's salaries. You don't ask customers to subsidize your employee's salaries. If you can't afford their salaries you don't go into business. There are a few countries in the world that not only where employees don't expect tips or where tips are not allowed. In Japan no self respecting Japanese would ever expect to solicit tips. They liken it to a form of begging and would be embarrassed if you were to offer them tips. With cruise lines adding a certain dollar amount per person per day to their cabin price is subsidizing their employee's salaries. They also know that most customers will do additional personal tipping on top of the mandatory charge per day. At least a few lines do not make it mandatory and you can lower or do away with the daily cabin amount by going to the hotel desk near the end of the cruise. I guess they are also hoping that you will be embarrassed to do this in front of others at the hotel desk. Very bad policy. They should also allow you to do this in privacy by phone, email, or by indicating on one of their forms that you do not wish to be billed for this extra charge. Many of us are not "cheap" because we do not wish to pay for something that we don't feel is a valid customer responsibility. We tip employees according to the personal service they perform and not to hundreds of employees just because they are employees.

It's just not only the cruise industry it's many of the service industries where tips are expected. I have always thought that if you own a business you pay the employee's salaries. You don't ask customers to subsidize your employee's salaries. If you can't afford their salaries you don't go into business. There are a few countries in the world that not only where employees don't expect tips or where tips are not allowed. In Japan no self respecting Japanese would ever expect to solicit tips. They liken it to a form of begging and would be embarrassed if you were to offer them tips. With cruise lines adding a certain dollar amount per person per day to their cabin price is subsidizing their employee's salaries. They also know that most customers will do additional personal tipping on top of the mandatory charge per day. At least a few lines do not make it mandatory and you can lower or do away with the daily cabin amount by going to the hotel desk near the end of the cruise. I guess they are also hoping that you will be embarrassed to do this in front of others at the hotel desk. Very bad policy. They should also allow you to do this in privacy by phone, email, or by indicating on one of their forms that you do not wish to be billed for this extra charge. Many of us are not "cheap" because we do not wish to pay for something that we don't feel is a valid customer responsibility. We tip employees according to the personal service they perform and not to hundreds of employees just because they are employees.

So do you not go to land based restaurants, bars etc in America?

Floridastorm welcome to Tightwad Cruising . To tip or not to tip has been discussed ad nauseum on these threads.

Countries or cruise lines where tipping is frowned upon have already included the gratuities in the price. Personally, I think that should be the norm . No more embarrassment for those passengers going to the purser’s desk to remove tips from those hardworking people. Hey , it’s not your problem ! !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So do you not go to land based restaurants, bars etc in America?

Well, when I go to restaurants I tip the waiter or waitress. I don't tip every employee in the restaurant, do I now. You're not too familiar with how things work in a restaurant are you. The waiters and waitresses share their tips with the busboys and cooks. And, that is how it should be on a cruise ship. The cruise lines get away with it because of the ignorance of their passengers.

Floridastorm welcome to Tightwad Cruising . To tip or not to tip has been discussed ad nauseum on these threads.

Countries or cruise lines where tipping is frowned upon have already included the gratuities in the price. Personally, I think that should be the norm . No more embarrassment for those passengers going to the purser’s desk to remove tips from those hardworking people. Hey , it’s not your problem ! !

I don't know how to read your reply. Are you agreeing with me or just being sarcastic. :confused:

I’m agreeing you , if you own a business then you should pay your employees salaries. Where I live restauranteurs have passed on the increase in the minimum wage by putting an added small mandatory tip .

I’m agreeing you , if you own a business then you should pay your employees salaries. Where I live restauranteurs have passed on the increase in the minimum wage by putting an added small mandatory tip .

Sounds Good.

(y):D

Some day I'm going to start the Planet Fitness version of Cruise Critic with a "judgement free zone". It's amazing to me how people can attack one another because they have different views on how to spend money. Why would you troll people who are posting ways to save money? And why would you defend a cruise line's policies?

If you think vacation is about living it up, why are you reading a thread called "Tightwad Cruising"?

Let's get back to saving money cruising...

The last 2 cruises I have saved $100 through an offer from American Express. Google it...you spend $500 on a cruise and get $100 statement credit.

Some day I'm going to start the Planet Fitness version of Cruise Critic with a "judgement free zone". It's amazing to me how people can attack one another because they have different views on how to spend money. Why would you troll people who are posting ways to save money? And why would you defend a cruise line's policies?

If you think vacation is about living it up, why are you reading a thread called "Tightwad Cruising"?

Let's get back to saving money cruising...

The last 2 cruises I have saved $100 through an offer from American Express. Google it...you spend $500 on a cruise and get $100 statement credit.

That's good advice, thanks!

But isn't the AMEX card offer only for North Americans?

Which cruise line will allow you to bring soda on board? I've only been a royal cruiser only.

RCC will allow cases of soda and water (as well as other non perishable food/drinks) to be carried on as well as two 750 ml bottles of wine per stateroom.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/food-drink-onboard-policy

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-alcohol-guest-policy

Here's a big savings tip--

I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. It costs $450/yr BUT BUT BUT - you get $300/yr travel credit AND 3 points/$ spent on travel, plus you can buy travel at I think 1/3 off the price if you use their points.

So - a $4000 cruise gets you $120 worth of points...

and I almost forgot to mention - you also get $10k in FREE TRAVEL INSURANCE, which makes the card worth it to me just for the travel insurance alone.

We fly separately. It started when the kids were young and was a "just in case" measure. Now, with baggage fees, I fly the cheapo airline that doesn't let you carry bags. dh flies Southwest and carries my luggage with his. No baggage charges. Sometimes he'll mystery shop the flight and get half his fare refunded in exchange for a one-hour report. More money to spend on the things that matter. Plus, I'm not very fun to fly with (fidgit-er) so it works out.

• Like 1

You must be a real barrel of laughs on holiday, but it’s your holiday. You could spend even less by staying at home! [emoji23]

Why would you seriously want to tell the world how much pleasure you get from being so miserly!

Wow, Paul, who peed in your Wheaties today?

Being frugal is about saving money where it doesn't matter so much so that you can spend it where it does.

We fly separately. It started when the kids were young and was a "just in case" measure. Now, with baggage fees, I fly the cheapo airline that doesn't let you carry bags. dh flies Southwest and carries my luggage with his. No baggage charges. Sometimes he'll mystery shop the flight and get half his fare refunded in exchange for a one-hour report. More money to spend on the things that matter. Plus, I'm not very fun to fly with (fidgit-er) so it works out.

Wouldn’t you both be exempt from luggage fees if you both flew on Southwest ? Your husband wouldn’t be “ saddled “ with your luggage , either. The older he gets the more of a hardship that will become for him. You do not have to sit together if your fidgeting gets to your husband.

There’s more of a likelihood that something will happen to you when traveling than a plane crash. When I was 41 yrs old , I developed a pulmonary embolism and went into cardiac arrest. My husband and I were flying separately from Ireland . Fortunately, I had contact numbers in my purse . My flight had a connection in LA where I was taken to the emergency room. He had flown directly home. Last year he fainted at the boarding gate . He was taken to the ER from where they called me. I would take the odds of an unlikely plane crash over traveling alone unless one had no choice.

I would rather delay travel than do without amenities that I enjoy.

Please , no vulgarity.

Edited by NHProud

Here's a big savings tip--

I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. It costs $450/yr BUT BUT BUT - you get $300/yr travel credit AND 3 points/$ spent on travel, plus you can buy travel at I think 1/3 off the price if you use their points.

So - a $4000 cruise gets you $120 worth of points...

and I almost forgot to mention - you also get $10k in FREE TRAVEL INSURANCE, which makes the card worth it to me just for the travel insurance alone.

Totally agree. Just can't wait until I'm the proud owner of one...

I use Sam's Club MasterCard for travel. No annual fee if you have a Sam's Club membership. And if you don't have a membership, it's only $50/year for one. 3% cash back on all travel, so $120 (cash not points) for a $4,000 cruise. Also 3% back at all restaurants/bars. Gas is even better at 5% cash back. Then 1% for all other purchases.

Wouldn’t you both be exempt from luggage fees if you both flew on Southwest ? Your husband wouldn’t be “ saddled “ with your luggage , either.

Yes, but I got an extremely cheap fare on a different airline (and there was only one seat left). It just works out better for us. I pack in one rolling carry-on and he's a pretty fit guy so he doesn't seem to mind.

• 1 month later...

Some cheap buzz suggestions:

I go to the Platinum party and drink like a fish.

I buy the goldfish drink at the Red Frog pub for half price ($10 instead of $20 I think) and share with my hubby on port day(s).

I order an extra shot in drinks to get a better bang for my buck (comes out cheaper and not as many calories as the mixers).

I bring mixers on board to mix with shots (or you can mix with your rum runner contents or bottle purchased).

I use Sam's Club MasterCard for travel. No annual fee if you have a Sam's Club membership. And if you don't have a membership, it's only $50/year for one. 3% cash back on all travel, so $120 (cash not points) for a $4,000 cruise. Also 3% back at all restaurants/bars. Gas is even better at 5% cash back. Then 1% for all other purchases.

That’s a great suggestion ! We use a credit card that is affiliated with a major hotel chain , Marriott. There’s a $80/ yr fee however Marriott comps you a free night per year up to a category 5 room. That same room , we reserved this year , goes for $269. . A free breakfast and free parking are included. Not a bad deal if you use the free room. Otherwise, the annual fee is too expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

I just booked a short cruise to the Bahamas for March. I was able to get a porthole cabin which was a significant savings over an OV (They are listed under Interior cabins and you may have to scroll over to find them when booking), To me, a porthole cabin has the most important benefit of an OV over an interior - natural light - and is priced at just a few dollars more per day. This will be the third time we sail in a PH cabin.