Boston Hotel with Car Rental

scluvsrain

Coming to Boston for a cruise in May. Renting a car at Logan as we will be in Boston area for a few days and need a car to drive out to Cape Cod one of those days and perhaps Salem on another day.

My question is where is the best place to book a hotel in the greater Boston area? I don't know the area that well. I was originally thinking of Seaport area since I read about the Silver Line bus or something that can take us back to hotel after dropping off the rental car the night before we depart on the cruise for a couple of dollars.

Appreciate advice/input.

Thanks!

Coming to Boston for a cruise in May. Renting a car at Logan as we will be in Boston area for a few days and need a car to drive out to Cape Cod one of those days and perhaps Salem on another day.

My question is where is the best place to book a hotel in the greater Boston area? I don't know the area that well. I was originally thinking of Seaport area since I read about the Silver Line bus or something that can take us back to hotel after dropping off the rental car the night before we depart on the cruise for a couple of dollars.

Appreciate advice/input.

Thanks!

What are the exact dates you need a hotel? 2 people? Hotel budget?

Could you clarify your plans a bit? Is the idea that you will arrive at Logan Airport and rent a car, drive to a Boston hotel and park the car, drive the next day to Cape Cod and back to the hotel, drive to Salem the following day, return the car to the airport, and then take public transit back to the hotel? What kind of sightseeing do you plan to do in Boston itself?

This will be a very expensive plan. Boston hotels are very pricey and you will pay $50+/day to park at an in town hotel. If you really want to do Salem and the Cape, why don't you spend a night in each area, return the car, and spend the last night in a Boston hotel?

Yesterday I parked at the Seaport Hotel for a bit under three hours and it cost me $30. With all the new construction in the seaport district, parking is at a premium and often difficult and $$ and getting worse.

If renting a car is a must, maybe staying outside of Boston proper would be a better option. I haven't checked it out, but there's a new Residence Inn by Marriott on Forbes Rd [braintree - Logan Express ]. From this location, there are ample places to dine, huge shopping mall and access to the Red line at Quincy Station into Boston and beyond to Salem. Just a thought trying to avoid the cost of parking.

Darcy

I had not thought of staying at different hotels for our time in Boston, that might be a great option. We arrive mid evening on Day 1, so maybe stay at airport that night and pick up car next morning, then head to Cape Cod. We have to return to the The Pru area in Boston night 2 as we are meeting people for dinner in town. Not sure where a hotel would be good to stay at in that area. Day 3 we'd drive to Salem and could conceivably go back to airport hotel that night, turn in car and then Uber/Cab it to cruise terminal the next morning.

Would that work? If so, any recommendations for hotels by The Pru? I don't even know what neighborhood that is....

I had not thought of staying at different hotels for our time in Boston, that might be a great option. We arrive mid evening on Day 1, so maybe stay at airport that night and pick up car next morning, then head to Cape Cod. We have to return to the The Pru area in Boston night 2 as we are meeting people for dinner in town. Not sure where a hotel would be good to stay at in that area. Day 3 we'd drive to Salem and could conceivably go back to airport hotel that night, turn in car and then Uber/Cab it to cruise terminal the next morning.

Would that work? If so, any recommendations for hotels by The Pru? I don't even know what neighborhood that is....

May is graduation month in Boston. We really need the exact dates for your Day 1 etc. as well as some sort of budget expectations to work with. Depending on your exact dates, hotels could be very pricey or sold out.

Cape Cod does require a car rental. Your night 1 plan to stay at the airport would be fine. I see you're from California and are probably used to driving everywhere, but Salem does not really require a car as you can get there by train or ferry. IMO the drive from the Pru area to Salem is not a bucolic scenic trip.

Budget is open. I have Hilton points so could hopefully use them at the one at the airport. I could spend in the $200range for the other night(s)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The bad news is that you will be here in graduation season, so Hotel prices are ridiculous. Under normal circumstances, $200 is a totally inadequate budget for Boston.

For May 16 it makes sense to fly in and get some sort of airport hotel in Revere, Saugus, Chelsea or Winthrop. These hotels should have airport shuttles which will give you access to the rental cars at the airport.

The good news is that I have found you a fantastic deal on Hotwire for May 17-19 which I hope you will jump on immediately. I'm seeing a 3* hotel in the Seaport District for $129 plus $22.20 tax with a 95% recommendation! Of course there are no guarantees on Hotwire but my experience is that there are no bad hotels in the Seaport District. This hotel suddenly popped up this week and I have recommended it to others. The folks who have booked it got the Aloft. This hotel is one of the closest to the cruise terminal.

So your plan should be to come back from the Cape on the 17th, check into the hotel and park your car ($$$$), and take a cab, Uber, or Lyft to your Back Bay destination. You have no idea where you need to be in Back Bay and IMO you will find it to be a frustrating driving and expensive parking scenario with a car. Pay someone to do this for you and leave your car at the hotel.

On the 18th you drive to Salem. Plan to return to Logan Airport to get rid of your car. Take a rental car shuttle bus back to any terminal and transfer to the free Silver Line bus. Get off at World Trade Center and walk or cab back to your hotel. The next morning it's a quick cab ride to the cruise terminal.

The bad news is that you will be here in graduation season, so Hotel prices are ridiculous. Under normal circumstances, $200 is a totally inadequate budget for Boston.

For May 16 it makes sense to fly in and get some sort of airport hotel in Revere, Saugus, Chelsea or Winthrop. These hotels should have airport shuttles which will give you access to the rental cars at the airport.

The good news is that I have found you a fantastic deal on Hotwire for May 17-19 which I hope you will jump on immediately. I'm seeing a 3* hotel in the Seaport District for $129 plus $22.20 tax with a 95% recommendation! Of course there are no guarantees on Hotwire but my experience is that there are no bad hotels in the Seaport District. This hotel suddenly popped up this week and I have recommended it to others. The folks who have booked it got the Aloft. This hotel is one of the closest to the cruise terminal.

So your plan should be to come back from the Cape on the 17th, check into the hotel and park your car ($$$$), and take a cab, Uber, or Lyft to your Back Bay destination. You have no idea where you need to be in Back Bay and IMO you will find it to be a frustrating driving and expensive parking scenario with a car. Pay someone to do this for you and leave your car at the hotel.

On the 18th you drive to Salem. Plan to return to Logan Airport to get rid of your car. Take a rental car shuttle bus back to any terminal and transfer to the free Silver Line bus. Get off at World Trade Center and walk or cab back to your hotel. The next morning it's a quick cab ride to the cruise terminal.

Beautiful. Thanks. I’ll get on to Hotwire now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful. Thanks. I’ll get on to Hotwire now.

So, I got the deal you mentioned on Hotwire. My booking is at the Element Boston. Free internet and free breakfast along with that nice low rate.

So, I got the deal you mentioned on Hotwire. My booking is at the Element Boston. Free internet and free breakfast along with that nice low rate.

That's terrific! Another new hotel that has been open only 2 years that is not always on Hotwire. And breakfast and Internet too! Have a great trip. Do take a cab over to the Pru for dinner and drinks - you won't regret not doing that in town drive and finding and paying for parking in Back Bay.

That's terrific! Another new hotel that has been open only 2 years that is not always on Hotwire. And breakfast and Internet too! Have a great trip. Do take a cab over to the Pru for dinner and drinks - you won't regret not doing that in town drive and finding and paying for parking in Back Bay.

I have you to thank for this!!! And yes, I will cab it to dinner. Then I can have a couple of drinks and not worry. Double win.