Oceania Montreal to NY - port or starboard views

SeaGal

Sailing southbound in October from Montreal to New York. Does one side of the ship have better views when coming into the various ports (Quebec City, Charlottetown, Sydney, Halifax, St John, Portland, Bar Harbor, Boston and Newport,) or cruising the St Lawrence Seaway?

Thanks.

Sailing southbound in October from Montreal to New York. Does one side of the ship have better views when coming into the various ports (Quebec City, Charlottetown, Sydney, Halifax, St John, Portland, Bar Harbor, Boston and Newport,) or cruising the St Lawrence Seaway?

Thanks.

Quebec would be Port side.

Charlottetown would probably be Starboard side.

Sydney am not sure, but would guess Port side.

Halifax would be Starboard side.

St-John would be Starboard side.

I don't know about the USA ports.

~Phil.

Just my view but my experience on these sailings is that at sea you will see very little and in some places you never know which way you will face.

I put more emphasis to where on the deck your room is located rather then port or starboard side.

Keith

Sailing southbound in October from Montreal to New York. Does one side of the ship have better views when coming into the various ports (Quebec City, Charlottetown, Sydney, Halifax, St John, Portland, Bar Harbor, Boston and Newport,) or cruising the St Lawrence Seaway? .

I'm understanding your question as what side of the cruise ship offers the better view when entering a port of call and not which side is to land when docked, correct? As long as you view consistently from the same side of the ship, it doesn't matter which side you view from because what you don't see on the way in, you'll see on the way out. Assuming both arrival and departure are done during daylight. The exception would be the St Lawrence River.

SBtS

I'm understanding your question as what side of the cruise ship offers the better view when entering a port of call and not which side is to land when docked, correct? As long as you view consistently from the same side of the ship, it doesn't matter which side you view from because what you don't see on the way in, you'll see on the way out. Assuming both arrival and departure are done during daylight. The exception would be the St Lawrence River.

SBtS

Yes, I was interested in the view entering the port of calls. I realize that there is no way to determine which direction the ship is docked. In evenings we are usually not on our balcony for sail-away and several will be after sunset. We mostly dock at 8am, so we should have some daylight for viewing the scenery in the morning.

For almost 20 years I lived in Brooklyn just about where the Verrazano Bridge is and so quite often, especially on Sundays I’d take a walk and watch all the ships heading through the Narrows and out to sea as they passed under the bridge. I’d be seeing the port side of the ship.

Returning back from sea you’ll pass back under the bridge (it’s a very large suspension bridge, if you’ve not been here but saw Saturday Night Fever, among other movies, that’s it) with Brooklyn to the starboard and then very quickly you’re in New York Harbor with The View. You’ll kind of see everything but I suspect it’s still best to be on the starboard and this is why: the Oceania line docks at the 48th Street Cruise port on the west side of the city so you’re going to sail up the Hudson River, Manhattan will be to the starboard. I’ve lived here for decades and brought friends on the tourist Circle Line; I’m in the city very often...it ALWAYS spectacular, even to me. I particularly enjoy watching visitors being thrilled by the views, it’s just fun to see happy, excited faces or answer questions, take pictures for them or be reminded that I’m fortunate to have lived here and still be here.

As to seeing the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, they will be on the port side but you can’t have it all, right? If you’re staying on in NYC a bit, definitely take the Circle Line harbour lights tour and sit on their port side! Boarding for that is at 40th Street right next to the USS Intrepid Museum. Or, sometimes I tell folks just to take a round trip on the Staten Island Ferry. It’s doesnt get as close to the Statue as the tour boats do but it’s good enough and it’s an iconic NYC thing plus it’s still free I think. Or the cost of a metro card, $2.75. I don’t go to Staten Island.

I hope this helps a bit. Bon Voyage 😊

Host Bonjour,

This is exactly the information I was seeking! Thank you for taking the time to share this with me. We do plan to spend a few days in New York and although I have been there several times before, I have not yet taken the Circle Line - that sounds like a great harbor tour.

You’re very welcome SeaGal, glad all these years of living in Brooklyn have helped! Another nice thing was hearing the fog horns of all the moored cargo ships and tankers (you may see several on your way in/out) out in the bay; always music to my ears. Cruise ships are big but some of these things are simply monstrous in size. But I digress....

The Harbour Lights tour is amazing and it’s included in the NYC pass visitors book thing? My friends visiting from Germany had that and it’s an incredible value! You get so much in there I’m jealous ;) but I’m lucky being here all the time too. It was my second time on the Circle Line but not my first Manhattan cruise, I’ve done that a few times in different ways but it’s always AMAZING. If you can time it for for around dusk, well, that’s the magic hour. Part of the fun for me, aside from just seeing my beautiful city is seeing the elated looks on all the visitors faces, many for the first time. It brings me joy.

The boat has a bar and snacks too, nothing fancy on the snacks but a decent bar from what I could see. Don’t know if said but for Harbour Lights you want sit on the left side of the boat. Oh and there’s a person who tells you what everything is along the way too which is helpful BUT, at the end of the ride as the boat docks I heard this last one suggest riders tip. Not cool. They are paid by Circle Line for their time, it’s not a restaurant job. Unless the narrator is provides exceptional commentary that maybe is super funny, adds in some historical detail or in another way goes above & beyond, it’s not the kind of job that warrants tipping. They’re just taking advantage of tourists. I once worked for tips so I appreciate what that’s all about (often I overtip), but I don’t support being a leech :eek:

If you have any other returning NYC visitor questions, don’t hesitate to ask, if I can provide any insight I’m happy to help but I’m glad the ship arrival detail helped.