Terrace Pool on Azura and Children

BigJH

Hi

We have been on Azura previously but not for a couple of years - we have also done the Princess Grand Class ships and there has never been any consistency on whether they allow children in the terrace pool - some say no but allow it, some say yes and don't...

Our children don't like the main pools as P&O (or other parents) don't police them very well, with them often being overrun by children diving in; doing bombs and running around - the terrace pool allows them to enjoy a pool without the carnage.

What is the current ruling on Azura?

We were moved on from there a couple of years ago - even though we were the only ones in there, and nobody else nearby that wanted to use the pool - the terrace pool is often surrounded by sun seekerrs that don't ever use the pool, so it generally wouldn't cause anyone any problems, and I am always with them anyway.

Thanks

Jason

The terrace pool is adults only I can't say as I've seen many kids using it. However that may be because they are well behaved and not doing anything that would cause me to notice them! At risk of starting a debate on what constitutes "good" children I find that most people don't mind well behaved kids in an adult environment; it's only when they are running and screaming and (some would say) being children that objections tend to be made.

Last August we went to the terrace pool and there were only 5 other adults there. 1 of them had 2 children with her who were both sitting quietly playing some sort of electronic games and disturbing no-one but they were still asked to leave and the lady with them was told in no uncertain terms that children were not allowed there.

I could have understood them being asked to leave if they were disturbing anyone or even if someone had complained. P&O staff were obviously just trying to enforce the rules so as to avoid any complaints. I suppose that if they allow any children in then the belligerent parents with out of control children will move in because " why can't their children go wherever they want ? "

Edited by Josy1953

My 14 year old daughter was asked to leave the pool as it was for adults only. I was sunbathing at the side of the pool. I pointed out to the staff member that she was an adult as she had paid the adult fare. The manager was summoned, he totally agreed with me but one sunbather had complained that she couldn't read her book in peace because in the "noisy splashing water" and he had to uphold the rules. 10 minutes later the woman left the deck. Some people just can't help themselves.

According to the frequently asked questions the terrace pool on Azura is adults only:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/cunard_pools?_ga=2.23628920.330623602.1521562484-1245780674.1520845121

Having said that we were on her in August 2016 and children (including our son) were allowed to use it. I can only guess that some discretion was applied as there were so many children on that particular cruise.

I'm hoping that the same applies in August this year as we dislike the main pool area for the same reasons you've stated but our son loves a swim onboard.

Fingers crossed.

Damian

One of the things you can do when you first get on the ship is to go round all the pools and check the notices on who is allowed in each pool and all the small print also do this for jacuzzis. On RCI my daughter loved sitting in the jacuzzi and crew would sometimes challenge her. The rule there is that children must be supervised. She just pointed me out and I gave the crew member the thumbs up and a nod. The same rule applied to supervise children in the swimming pool. I just sit by the pool as a non-swimmer supervising her. Once you know what the rules are you can be confident that if anyone challenges you or your actions, no matter who gets summoned to tell you what the rules are, you may tell them to read the rules of the pool on the notice. Sometimes the cruise line decides a pool is suddenly "adults only" but they still have the old sign riveted to the side of the pool.

Regards John

My 14 year old daughter was asked to leave the pool as it was for adults only. I was sunbathing at the side of the pool. I pointed out to the staff member that she was an adult as she had paid the adult fare. The manager was summoned, he totally agreed with me but one sunbather had complained that she couldn't read her book in peace because in the "noisy splashing water" and he had to uphold the rules. 10 minutes later the woman left the deck. Some people just can't help themselves.

I agree, there is plenty of open deck space for reading books. The other thing that bugs me (although I try to let such things go over my head as I'm there to relax) is when the sun beds nearest the pool (any pool) are taken by some people that have no intention of using the pool itself, just there to take in the sun. But hey ho, you can't have everything, the important thing is to make the most of it and enjoy yourself... You are right though, some people forget that children pay almost if not as much as adults, especially on P&O, yet are excluded from many areas...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree, there is plenty of open deck space for reading books. The other thing that bugs me (although I try to let such things go over my head as I'm there to relax) is when the sun beds nearest the pool (any pool) are taken by some people that have no intention of using the pool itself, just there to take in the sun. But hey ho, you can't have everything, the important thing is to make the most of it and enjoy yourself... You are right though, some people forget that children pay almost if not as much as adults, especially on P&O, yet are excluded from many areas...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am not a sunbather nor a swimmer so I have no interest in spending much time around the pools, I only go there while my husband is swimming and then I try to find somewhere in the shade to sit. I would never presume that the sun beds nearest to the pools are for sunbathers because I don't know the reasons that make someone choose a sunbed near to the pool, perhaps they are keen to get fried by the sun and these sunbeds are better positioned to get the most sun. We are all different and have our own reasons for doing what we do.

I am not a sunbather nor a swimmer so I have no interest in spending much time around the pools, I only go there while my husband is swimming and then I try to find somewhere in the shade to sit. I would never presume that the sun beds nearest to the pools are for sunbathers because I don't know the reasons that make someone choose a sunbed near to the pool, perhaps they are keen to get fried by the sun and these sunbeds are better positioned to get the most sun. We are all different and have our own reasons for doing what we do.
Apologies, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, I'm not against people using sunbeds to sunbathe, even its around the pool, but what I don't like is that those that have no intention of using the pool (not those that are with partners or children using the pool) that make it difficult for people that do want to use it, or supervise their children that are using it, to get any sunbeds near to the pool. Even worse is for those that aren't using the pool, complaining about children that are enjoying themselves.

Like I say, everyone is on a cruise to relax and enjoy themselves, and there are plenty of appropriate places for everyone to be able to do just that.

The issue for me with this is that there is already an adult only pool, so why is there a need to have the terrace pool as well. The strange thing is - both adult pools are ultimately more suitable for children, due to their depth???

Sent from my VFD 900 using Forums mobile app

Apologies, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, I'm not against people using sunbeds to sunbathe, even its around the pool, but what I don't like is that those that have no intention of using the pool (not those that are with partners or children using the pool) that make it difficult for people that do want to use it, or supervise their children that are using it, to get any sunbeds near to the pool. Even worse is for those that aren't using the pool, complaining about children that are enjoying themselves.

Like I say, everyone is on a cruise to relax and enjoy themselves, and there are plenty of appropriate places for everyone to be able to do just that.

The issue for me with this is that there is already an adult only pool, so why is there a need to have the terrace pool as well. The strange thing is - both adult pools are ultimately more suitable for children, due to their depth???

Sent from my VFD 900 using Forums mobile app

My apologies, I did misunderstand. I will continue to find my places in the shade ( or on my balcony if I want peace and quiet )and try not to annoy anyone while am enjoying my cruises. ;);)