Walk to port

Saint Greg

• 2 weeks later...
So this is feasible when staying at the Residence Inn?

I'm not Greg but your answer is yes. Just walk down St. Joseph to Convention Center Blvd and take a left then right on Julia. See his map above.

staying at the hampton inn convention center - does anyone know if there's a straight-ish path to get to the port without walking back towards the julia street station?

There is not. The convention center spans a few blocks along the boulevard starting at Julia and heading upriver toward the Crescent City Connection. No way to cut through it.

• 6 months later...
There is not. The convention center spans a few blocks along the boulevard starting at Julia and heading upriver toward the Crescent City Connection. No way to cut through it.

Is this walkable with someone with 2 knee replacements? We are staying at the Hampton Inn Convention Center? We are hoping to travel with only one carry-on suitcase each..

Thanks

Lesley

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 10:07 AM, I Luv Crusin said:

Is this walkable with someone with 2 knee replacements? We are staying at the Hampton Inn Convention Center? We are hoping to travel with only one carry-on suitcase each..

Thanks

Lesley

Are you parking at Hampton Inn? I know they have a port shuttle for people with their park n cruise package. I wonder if you can get on that shuttle just for staying there. Might be worth asking.

So, just to make sure: If I'm walking on Julia Street and boarding a NCL ship, I don't need to take the escalators up to where Nordstrom Rack is right? I can just keep walking past the elevator on the sidewalk, over the streetcar tracks, and into the terminal?

13 minutes ago, ednabcr said:

So, just to make sure: If I'm walking on Julia Street and boarding a NCL ship, I don't need to take the escalators up to where Nordstrom Rack is right? I can just keep walking past the elevator on the sidewalk, over the streetcar tracks, and into the terminal?

That's what it looks like to me because the elevator across from Nordstroms that NCL passengers are to take goes down there. But I've never sailed NCL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ednabcr said:

That's correct. Go across the tracks and through the portal that says RCCL, NCL and the terminal door is on the right.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, clyde3 said:

That's correct. Go across the tracks and through the portal that says RCCL, NCL and the terminal door is on the right.

Perfect! Thanks so much for replying. We're staying at the Embassy Suites just up the street so this is going to be super convenient.

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, gooch47 said:

I don't want to cause confusion, but did I read somewhere that the Julia Street Streetcar stop is closed?

NEW ORLEANS — Two stops on the Riverfront Streetcar route are suspended for up to a year in order to start construction on the new Four Seasons Hotel at the World Trade Center building and other private residences in the area.

In order to make way for the new $500 million dollar project, both the Poydras and the Julia Street stations will be closing down. But RTA is offering a complimentary looped shuttle service in its place.

The new route will take commuters from the Canal Street station to the Julia Street station and will be available seven days a week from 10 a.m – 7 p.m.

https://wgno.com/2018/07/30/two-stops-on-riverfront-streetcar-line-suspended-for-four-seasons-hotel-construction/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi 

cruising on NCL next weekend.  does the closing of the Julia Street station mean you can access that overhead walkway any more?  Although, I believe I understood for NCL, you can walk across the tracks there (even though it's posted not to) and walk on the street down to the terminal?

I'm trying to book a hotel and looking at the Marriott at the Convention Center or Hyatt Place.  I figured I can walk over to Julia from there.

Or - the Omni or Courtyard?

I'm using hotel points, so I can stay at any of those.  I'm looking for the closest hotel, with the easiest way to walk to the ship.  

thanks for the help!  

10 minutes ago, km3045 said:

Hi 

cruising on NCL next weekend.  does the closing of the Julia Street station mean you can access that overhead walkway any more?  Although, I believe I understood for NCL, you can walk across the tracks there (even though it's posted not to) and walk on the street down to the terminal?

I'm trying to book a hotel and looking at the Marriott at the Convention Center or Hyatt Place.  I figured I can walk over to Julia from there.

I'm using hotel points, so I can stay at any of those.  I'm looking for the closest hotel, with the easiest way to walk to the ship.  

thanks for the help!  

We just returned from the NCL Breakaway. We stayed at the Embassy Suites and just walked south on Julia Street, made a slight right at the elevator that takes you up to the shops, continued walking on the street, and across the tracks. There, we were met by porters who made sure our checked bags were tagged correctly. Check-in is in the terminal to the right. We didn't need to take the overhead walkway and we weren't the only ones crossing the tracks. Same thing at disembark - rolled our own luggage off the ship, walked back to the Embassy, where they stored our bags for the afternoon. 

18 minutes ago, km3045 said:

Hi 

thanks for the help!  

You can still walk there. The construction is further up the tracks, preventing street cars from getting down there. 

As for hotels Omni Riverfront or the Marriott would be the closest. I would say Embassy Suites, Courtyard, or Hyatt Place would be next. If you need any help with hotels, let me know in the hotels thread. I get pretty good deals on Hotwire. I'm staying at the Marriott this weekend.

Edited by Saint Greg

Why is it important to walk to the port?  It is only about $10 for a taxi or Uber ride from just about anywhere in the quarter.   Your hotel will schedule it for you if you ask.  New Orleans will be the most interesting port on the itinerary so why not book nearer to the great restaurants and bars on Bourbon or the shops on Royal or the street performers in Jackson Square, or the music in the Marigny.  Enjoy New Orleans a little.  Personally I think lugging suitcases several blocks is not a good way to save $10 bucks.

• Thanks 2

On 12/28/2018 at 1:48 PM, km3045 said:

Hi 

thanks for the help!  

You can walk there. I did it yesterday and made a video. I walked from the marriott convention center. When I walk out I look right. You can see the Hyatt Place there. When I get to the corner I look to the left and you can see embassy suites. At that corner is the Cajun Market where you can buy wine if you need it. After I walk to the NCL terminal I continue to the CCL terminal for CCL people...then up the steps of the riverwalk mall. You can stop at the NCL part if that's where you're going.

Edited by Saint Greg

28 minutes ago, Visigoth said:

Why is it important to walk to the port?  It is only about $10 for a taxi or Uber ride from just about anywhere in the quarter.   Your hotel will schedule it for you if you ask.  New Orleans will be the most interesting port on the itinerary so why not book nearer to the great restaurants and bars on Bourbon or the shops on Royal or the street performers in Jackson Square, or the music in the Marigny.  Enjoy New Orleans a little.  Personally I think lugging suitcases several blocks is not a good way to save $10 bucks.

This is the "Walk to the Port" thread. Maybe you should start one called "Don't walk to the Port."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Visigoth said:

*Personally* is the key word here. I personally hate the noise, stink, and old buildings in the older parts of the city.

21 minutes ago, ednabcr said:

*Personally* is the key word here. I personally hate the noise, stink, and old buildings in the older parts of the city.

Edit for clarification: love the older parts of the city but don't like sleeping there. 

1 hour ago, Visigoth said:

Funny you should share this as my DD and I changed our hotel from Marriot to another. Less expensive and we decided we Lyft/Uber all the time in many cities so why not in New Orleans as well. It will sure be nice not to lug our suitcases on embarkation day.