Arcadia or Ventura?

Csardas

Hi.

Thinking about booking the 5 night New Year cruise in Dec 2019. We've never cruised with P and O before and while I've had a good read on the website, I'm hoping that you nice people will help.

We'll be 6 adults, ranging from 28 to 85 - 3 generations, so adult only isn't an issue. We like late fixed dining.

Given the variable weather at that time of year, which ship is most likely to be able to get into Amsterdam?

Websites are a good start but can't help with intangibles like atmosphere on board,etc.

Which ship would you suggest and why?

Thanks!

I was on the Ventura on New Year Cruise 2017. Really enjoyed it. Ship had no problems getting into Amsterdam.

Ventura along with Azura and Britannia are the largest ships so there is IMO more on board and the ship appeals to a wider age range including young families.

I have not been on Arcadia but have been on Oriana and Oceana. Don't know how they compare but both Oriana and Oceana had a small ship feel which either you are going to love or hate. For me it seemed to attract a different demographic to the larger ships.

My advice is go expecting to NOT get into Amsterdam. I’d be concerned about a New Year cruise missing Amsterdam for New Year’s Eve, as bobbing about on the North Sea won’t have the same appeal...

Aurora and Arcadia have not managed to get into Amsterdam for the last 3 Christmas cruises, nor the Christmas market cruise in December last year.

As to which ship, sorry can’t help you as I’ve not been on Ventura.

Hi.

Thinking about booking the 5 night New Year cruise in Dec 2019. We've never cruised with P and O before and while I've had a good read on the website, I'm hoping that you nice people will help.

We'll be 6 adults, ranging from 28 to 85 - 3 generations, so adult only isn't an issue. We like late fixed dining.

Given the variable weather at that time of year, which ship is most likely to be able to get into Amsterdam?

Websites are a good start but can't help with intangibles like atmosphere on board,etc.

Which ship would you suggest and why?

Thanks!

Arcadia has the Crows Nest Bar (Main Bar) at the Bow with plenty of views forward, Whilst Ventura has the Metropols Bar (Main Bar) at the Stern Giving you only a rear view.

9 cruises on Arcadia and 1 on Ventura says it all!

Been to Amsterdam twice on Arcadia and loved the ship and the city. You are normally berthed near the city centre, and the trams are handy, we bought a book of tickets to get around. We did the evening canal trip with wine and cheese, one of the best excursions we have done!

Why Arcadia? A personal choice, but we prefer the 'smaller' lest crowded ships, they just seem friendlier to us, our current favourite is Queen Elizabeth, which is the same class as Arcadia, but a bit more up market

Adammara, so pleased to hear your comments! Booked to go on Arcadia next year and have been concerned re some of the reviews. Been on Ventura and azura and had good cruises on both. We liked Oceana mainly for the deck space and are hoping Arcadia will also have more deck space. Hope the refit on Arcadia has been done well.

Thanks. Would you mind telling me why you prefer Arcadia?

We have travelled on all P and O ships apart from Britannia and would not travel on Ventura again. We had the same standard of balcony cabin on both ships and preferred the decor and comfort of Arcadia. Our trip on Ventura was for 17 days last April. Unfortunately there were many unruly children on board. We did not use the pools or Jacuzzis but felt sorry for the people who did as both pools were taken over by screaming children. In the theatre and bars there were babies crying. The crew were unwilling or unable to take any action. We have travelled on Oceana. Aurora and Azura when children have been on board and never had a problem. The layout of Arcadia suits us with its beautiful crows nest. The bars also have a much nicer ambience. I can honestly say that out of 30 cruises with P and O that the Ventura cruise was the worst. I know some people reading this will disagree but it is only my opinion. Whichever ship you choose have a great time.

Never ever Ventura again. Last July oh goodness, we thought we'd landed at a football match, people walking around in evening with football shirts on in atrium, beer bottles in hand. Teenagers hanging around on stairwells, leaving dishes taken out if buffet on stairs. Parents just seemed to let their children run riot......couldn't even get a look in around pool. Enough said.

Never ever Ventura again. Last July oh goodness, we thought we'd landed at a football match, people walking around in evening with football shirts on in atrium, beer bottles in hand. Teenagers hanging around on stairwells, leaving dishes taken out if buffet on stairs. Parents just seemed to let their children run riot......couldn't even get a look in around pool. Enough said.

Nothing to do with the ship at all. It was the people on that cruise not Ventura.

We have sailed on her quite a lot and have 5 cruises booked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m looking at the NYE cruises leaving in December 3019, but it is only Arcadia that calls at Amsterdam. I am hoping to book Ventura because it doesn’t stop there (and we lived in Holland for six years so not fussed about going there!), but Ventura calls at Hamburg and that would be new to us. We have been on Arcadia and have the Baltics booked for this August. We will be trying Ventura in September for a three night cruise to Le Havre and Cherbourg. We like the larger ships as they give you more dining choices on longer cruises. [emoji924][emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've just come back off Ventura after 5 weeks. Spent 4 weeks on her last year and I've got 5 weeks more next year. I can honestly say I've never, ever seen any of the behaviour as described above. We have met so many lovely people and had the best time.

I love Azura and Ventura because the cabins are a good size and well-organised storage; the balconies are big, especially on C deck which are HUGE with a covered and uncovered area; and they're more modern in layout and design with more amenities. Although I cruise on adult-only ships (currently Arcadia and Oriana) I prefer ships where there is a wider mix of ages such as Ventura so I think she would suit your group better

We have sailed on all the ships, including several NY and short cruises.

We travelled once on Ventura and disliked her, yet we found we loved Acura her sister-ship. We are going back a while and there were several factors. We much prefer Arcadia, she has a little bit of everything - good decor, good cabins, prom, thermal suite (pay extra), crows nest, ocean grill (love it), orchid bar, easy to navigate, covered pool etc. Most of our cruises have been on this ship.

We have never had an issue docking at NY, luck of the draw I guess. But we have had lots of experience of not docking, so there are no guarantees. You will still have a great time.

The short cruises are my favourite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing Ventura in June for a mini cruise so can't comment ,but we were on Acardia last year, and wouldn't be first choice to go on again. The MDR must be over engine ? As it was very noisy and it made it hard to have a conversation. The main impression we got (And others also said the same) it seemed to be a very unhappy boat , hard to put a finger on it but the staff seemed very unhappy .Another guest said have you noticed their shoes .....non of them fit !

We are doing Ventura in June for a mini cruise so can't comment ,but we were on Acardia last year, and wouldn't be first choice to go on again. The MDR must be over engine ? As it was very noisy and it made it hard to have a conversation. The main impression we got (And others also said the same) it seemed to be a very unhappy boat , hard to put a finger on it but the staff seemed very unhappy .Another guest said have you noticed their shoes .....non of them fit !

We were on Arcadia post refit in November last year, and have to say that the staff certainly didn't seem unhappy - quite the reverse in fact.

As to the MDR- as we were on freedom [or whatever it is called] dining, we ate in various locations in the MDR. The only area we felt uncomfortable was right at the mid-stern position, but other than that, no issues.

We like Arcadia as it has a proper prom deck - not sure if Ventura has one?

We were on Arcadia post refit in November last year, and have to say that the staff certainly didn't seem unhappy - quite the reverse in fact.

As to the MDR- as we were on freedom [or whatever it is called] dining, we ate in various locations in the MDR. The only area we felt uncomfortable was right at the mid-stern position, but other than that, no issues.

We like Arcadia as it has a proper prom deck - not sure if Ventura has one?

WE were on her in June, freedom dining , and opted to eat in Sindu twice , and the other speciality (which I can't remember name of ) much nicer experience .We met a lady at dinner one night who told us the staff had gone on strike during a Carribean cruise

Ventura appears to have a prom deck , Its a much larger boat then we would normally pick , but it's just a 2 nighter with friends, so worth the risk to try it ,plus first ever to have an outside cabin ,instead of a balcony. Personally I love Oceana ,but for me it's about destination first ,so will be trying Thompson out later this year .....I refuse to pay thousands for the same sights too , so that rules out the high end cruises :D;p