Is it crazy to do 2 excursions in Juneau?

mechaiah

I'm going to Alaska on HAL on June 24 and have tried my best to find an excursion in Juneau that combines walking on a glacier (or flying over a glacier) and whale watching. There are a bunch that say they're glaciers and whale watching but it's going to the Mendenhall glacier visitors center and looking at the glacier but not approaching it by helicopter or seaplane.

So, I've concluded the only way to do both things is to do them as 2 separate excursions, so I'm going to do the helicopter glacier (walking on the glacier) and then a separate whale watching one. It all works out time-wise and I confirmed with HAL's excursions office that it's possible to do. But, does this sound crazy to do 2 separate excursions? It's pricey (!) but I don't see any excusions that interest me in the other ports so at least I'll be saving money there! I thought about finding lower prices for either or both of these HAL excursions by looking at other tour operators but my husband feels if we're doing 2 it's safer to stay with HAL excursions. I don't know if he's right, though.

So am I crazy? Has anyone else done more than 1 excursion in a day? And do you agree with my husband that we should stay with HAL excursions because it's riskier to do other excursions with other companies if we're trying to cram a lot in?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

I don't think there is anything crazy about it at all. As long as you have the time then why not make the most of your day?

I am looking at doing something similar when I go to Juneau next year, so if you are crazy, so am I!

With regards to sticking with HAL, that is entirely your call. I am doing independent excursions as I feel I have sufficient time and the prices are so much better. You have to do what you feel comfortable with.

Not at Juneau, but I have done 2 excursions during a day's visit to a port. Just be certain that there is enough "connect" time between the two in case your first excursion is running late. It is your call as to whether your choice is a ship-sponsored tour or an independent one. If my visit to the port is a first time visit, I usually prefer to depend upon the ship-sponsored excursion.

If you worked out your port time and given a few hours contingency between the excursions..... go for it.

I frequently stack excursions to maximize my port experience... especially when combo tours don't give me what I want.

• 9 months later...

It is very doable! We did it several years ago and are planning a trip for friends and are booking whale watching first and then they will drop them off at the helicopter company for the helicopter trip. Two separate trips. The companies are very accommodating! They all seem to know each other and seem to work together for the tourists. If you book direct and not through the cruiseline you have an opportunity to call and actually talk to them.:)

If these are booked with HAL no issues.

Just be sure there is enough padding in between the two tours so if the first one runs a little late you can get back in time for the second on.

These are two great excursion so nice you want to do both.

Keith

I was looking into doing this myself. All of the tour companies said that they have people do this all the time and are used to working with each other so they know what times they need to be back. I'd just let both companies know that that is what you are doing.

I am doing the same thing but in Ketchikan. Kayaking Orca Cove in the morning from 9-12 & then flight seeing in the afternoon, 2-4. Asked both tour operators before booking & they said it would be fine. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums