Anyone cruise with Mal de Debarquement?

dickinson

Mal de Débarquement is the feeling that you are bobbing around in the water. It is specifically if you feel this way at least a MONTH after getting off a ship. Many people feel the same symptoms for a few days or weeks after cruising but this is specifically if it last more than a month.

If you have had it... have you gone on another cruise? Did that make it worse?

I've had it happen on a couple cruises....one was pretty rocky, so I understood why I was feeling rocky at home. The other times, it was smooth as glass, and yet I still got it! Other times, I haven't had any issues. I know what it is, and that it WILL go away, so I don't let it bother me much. Seems to be worse if I'm in a small area, like a closet, or shower, etc.

Mal de Débarquement is the feeling that you are bobbing around in the water. It is specifically if you feel this way at least a MONTH after getting off a ship. Many people feel the same symptoms for a few days or weeks after cruising but this is specifically if it last more than a month.

I get it after every cruise. Sometime it lasts just a couple of days. On occasion longer. Longest bout was a month.

Where did you see that it has to be for a month before it's considered Mal de Debarquement?

It eventually goes away (for me). If you find it to be a problem, you should see your doctor. There are other reasons for the sensation.

BTW, it hasn't stopped me from cruising.

Where did you see that it has to be for a month before it's considered Mal de Debarquement?

My doctor told me plus I have found the info on the foundation's website. If it is less than a month then it is a normal time getting your land legs back. Some people unfortunately have had it for years and years. :eek:

I only got it after and it lasted a month...I had some vision stuff happen beforehand which didn't help.

Also, it can affect people differently ie some will get headaches some will not.

One would think going on a boat would not be the answer as symptoms would return after that voyage.

My doctor told me plus I have found the info on the foundation's website. If it is less than a month then it is a normal time getting your land legs back. Some people unfortunately have had it for years and years. :eek:

On the foundation's website it says:

in the case of MdDS sufferers it can persist for many weeks, months, even years afterwards.

and

If you feel a constant rocking sensation and/or abnormal perception of movement which started immediately after a period of motion exposure and remains for days, yet everything else appears to be normal (i.e. you don’t have numbness down one side, or hearing problems etc), then it’s possible that you have MdDS.

https://www.mdds.org.uk/

Nothing about needing to last a month.

My research on it when I was suffering badly (IIRC about 10 days) also indicated that anything more than a couple of days to readjust and you had MdDS, just a (hopefully) mild case.

I adapt TO boats almost instantly - always have. Big or small, nice weather or storms, doesn't seem to matter at all (lucky me)! Only ever been 'sea' sick once and that was on Lake Ontario - very small sailboat hit a weird combo of wake from a bigger boat at just the wrong angle to the existing waves that saw us bobbing in a totally random pattern that made me very nauseated for a couple of minutes. Same thing happens on rollercoasters if I can't predict the upcoming movements so there's an unexpected shift (Space Mountain, in the dark, was just horrible!)

But getting OFF a boat I've spent more than a couple of hours on I always get 'land legs' - they usually resolve in a day or two, but one cruise it kept up for three days, then a week... and so I googled and found the same potential nightmare scenarios you no doubt did of being stuck that way for months, years, forever - but also the fact that seasickness remedies might help (and they did - regular Meclizine tablets I already had for hayfever symptoms did enough to keep me from staggering around - and sitting in a rocking chair always removed the nausea even without drugs). I've cruised since, I've continued to suffer from 'land legs' but it's never happened again - given the dearth of any reliable and consistent info on what actually causes 'real' MdDS by however long a bout you define it, and no consistency personally in length of cruise/roughness of water when compared to duration/severity of my symptoms, I chose to not worry about the minimal risk.

Considering the stats on people (especially middle-aged women) spontaneously developing vertigo for extended periods of time, the comparatively tiny number of known MdDS long-term cases just doesn't strike me as a rational concern even for much keener cruisers than I!

Yup. Short cruises do it - any cruise longer than approx. 10 days does not lead to it, but shorter, yes (I read that it's pretty usual). I'm never seasick though (apparently, mal de débarquement strikes people who are not seasick). With me, it lasts for 2 to 4 weeks. I hate it, but it's not going to stop me from cruising - I'll just go on long cruises ! :')

My research on it when I was suffering badly (IIRC about 10 days) also indicated that anything more than a couple of days to readjust and you had MdDS, just a (hopefully) mild case.

I adapt TO boats almost instantly - always have. Big or small, nice weather or storms, doesn't seem to matter at all (lucky me)! Only ever been 'sea' sick once and that was on Lake Ontario - very small sailboat hit a weird combo of wake from a bigger boat at just the wrong angle to the existing waves that saw us bobbing in a totally random pattern that made me very nauseated for a couple of minutes. Same thing happens on rollercoasters if I can't predict the upcoming movements so there's an unexpected shift (Space Mountain, in the dark, was just horrible!)

But getting OFF a boat I've spent more than a couple of hours on I always get 'land legs' - they usually resolve in a day or two, but one cruise it kept up for three days, then a week... and so I googled and found the same potential nightmare scenarios you no doubt did of being stuck that way for months, years, forever - but also the fact that seasickness remedies might help (and they did - regular Meclizine tablets I already had for hayfever symptoms did enough to keep me from staggering around - and sitting in a rocking chair always removed the nausea even without drugs). I've cruised since, I've continued to suffer from 'land legs' but it's never happened again - given the dearth of any reliable and consistent info on what actually causes 'real' MdDS by however long a bout you define it, and no consistency personally in length of cruise/roughness of water when compared to duration/severity of my symptoms, I chose to not worry about the minimal risk.

Considering the stats on people (especially middle-aged women) spontaneously developing vertigo for extended periods of time, the comparatively tiny number of known MdDS long-term cases just doesn't strike me as a rational concern even for much keener cruisers than I!

I've also always done much better adjusting to the sea vs. returning to land. Usually it is very mild, but our October cruise had extremely rough seas (no problem while on board for me) and when we got back I was so miserable I used my SeaBands and wore sunglass in the house which helped. I wish I'd thought of using a rocking chair - I'll keep that in mind for next time;) . Our return this month had us heading into a Nor'Easter and very high winds/rocky seas, but I only had motion sensations and not "land sickness" once we returned. I hope to continue cruising for many years:cool:

I do get it and the first few cruises lasted a couple of weeks. I do take Bonine as I've heard that even if you don't get seasick it can help w/ the disembarktion syndrome. Usually when I get off the ship I immediately head to the airport and fly home. The last 2 cruises I've stayed the day of disembarktion and flew home a day later. In both cases the mal de debarquement lasted only a few days. I do continue to take the Bonine for the week following the cruise as I've read it can help. So now I may always be flying out the day after getting off the ship.

Occasionally I have experienced these symptoms and it is irrelevant to me whether or not they qualify "officially" to be labeled MdDS. Fortunately my symptoms have always dissipated within a week or so and are no impediment to future cruising.

I do understand that the condition for some may be severe enough to forgo cruising completely. And that is sad.

• 6 months later...

I have MDDS from going on a cruise last May 2018 I have had it all this time. My Doctor has advised me not to go on another cruise or flight .

Looking back I think I had it in 2006 after a flight and boat trips in Europe but of course didn't know at the time.

This episode went after about 3 months. I went on this flight and cruise not realizing I had it previously and this time I am very seriously affected. So don't go on another cruise.

Please let me know of where I can get help for this if you have had some help Thanks

It's rather normal for a week or two after a cruise and goes away.

:eek: Good Grief! For more than a month you should see you doctor. Something else could be involved

Yup. Short cruises do it - any cruise longer than approx. 10 days does not lead to it, but shorter, yes (I read that it's pretty usual). I'm never seasick though (apparently, mal de débarquement strikes people who are not seasick). With me, it lasts for 2 to 4 weeks. I hate it, but it's not going to stop me from cruising - I'll just go on long cruises ! :')

I have never been seasick in my life but still got this MDDS and it won't go away and after reading about it it might not ever go away at my age 77.

I have MDDS from going on a cruise last May 2018 I have had it all this time. My Doctor has advised me not to go on another cruise or flight .

Looking back I think I had it in 2006 after a flight and boat trips in Europe but of course didn't know at the time.

This episode went after about 3 months. I went on this flight and cruise not realizing I had it previously and this time I am very seriously affected. So don't go on another cruise.

Please let me know of where I can get help for this if you have had some help Thanks

I have never been seasick in my life but still got this MDDS and it won't go away and after reading about it it might not ever go away at my age 77.

It is now over 10 months of having it for me. I am mild compared to others as all I have is the bobbing feeling at a 2-3 on a 10 point scale. Have you joined the MdDS forum that is on Facebook? That is where there are a lot of people who have this post and can answer questions for you. They are a good group of people of all ages with some people from other parts of the globe.

BTW you CAN go on another flight. People do it all the time. I flew to San Diego from the east coast and was fine. Other people can do it only if they take medications. Some even cruise again although many say not to do so. Check out mddsfoundation.org for lots of info.

Good luck and I hope you go into remission soon.

It's rather normal for a week or two after a cruise and goes away.

:eek: Good Grief! For more than a month you should see you doctor. Something else could be involved

You are right that something else could be involved. If one finds the right doctor (many have not heard of MdDS) they will usually order an ENG/VNG to test the vestibular system and also an MRI. MdDS is diagnosed when there is no other explanation and one has recently been on a cruise or flight (although some people get it after other passive motion or just suddenly). It is also if it has been persistent for at least a month.

I've only had it once out of about 10 cruises- it was on a 3 or 4 day cruise in October right after a hurricane, so the seas were a little rough, but I didn't get seasickness at all. I had it for about 5-6 weeks. At the time, my office was on the 4th floor and had floor to ceiling windows about 2 feet wide. I had to pull all the shades in my office because the view made it so much worse. I just eventually got over it with no intervention. It was miserable! But I've never had it since.