Canada/New England "Must" eats

hisleepy

I will be sailing on Anthem of the Seas in August, and it has the following port of calls:

Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, Saint John NB, Halifax

What are the must eats at these ports, besides Duck Fat and Holy Donut at Portland?

There are a world of places in Portland to get great eats. From your other thread, you've got little ones, so not sure how much they would like Duckfat, but depends on their tastes. Nosh is great, Otto's pizza, Salvage BBQ, and Flatbread pizza down on the docks. Boone's Fish House, Grill Room, Bull Feeney's and The King's Head round out my favorites.

Boston, virtually any Italian restaurant in the North End is good. Kid's may enjoy the variety of food stalls in Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. Haven't been to the Wahlburgers near Fenway (closest to ship), but the original in Hingham has the best burgers around.

From your other thread, you've got little ones, so not sure how much they would like Duckfat, but depends on their tastes.

The food at Duckfat is good, but the restaurant is small and seating not very comfortable. My husband and I sat on stools at the side counter that really diminished our experience. Seating aside, Duckfat seems geared toward young adults more than families.

But I was only there once and could be wrong.

The food at Duckfat is good, but the restaurant is small and seating not very comfortable. My husband and I sat on stools at the side counter that really diminished our experience. Seating aside, Duckfat seems geared toward young adults more than families.

But I was only there once and could be wrong.

I'd go along with your observations (it is hard to get seats there), but I'd wait outside in the cold (and have done) for their duckfat fries and a shake. But then again, my kids are all grown, and grandkids are on the horizon.

I will be sailing on Anthem of the Seas in August, and it has the following port of calls:

What are the must eats at these ports, besides Duck Fat and Holy Donut at Portland?

Lobster roll in Bar Harbor (or Portland):

lobster-rolls.jpg

pic from Google

SBtS

We were on a B2B2B last fall with the first two cruises being slightly different Canada/New England itineraries. Both of those cruises included Halifax. During both of the Canada/New England cruises we were seeking lobster -- lobster rolls, lobster dinners -- we didn't care. On the first cruise we both thought that the lobster rolls at Goldwater Seafoods in Halifax was the best of the lobster rolls. We tried them again on the second Canada/New England cruise, and again thought that their lobster roll was the best.

Goldwater Seafoods is located in the Halifax Seaport Farmer's Market. The entrance we used was from the street. I don't remember any inside seating, but there are tables and chairs outside. No beverages except water, but "katty-corner" across the street is the tasting room of a local craft brewery, so after we finished our lobster rolls we went across the street to enjoy a flight of local beers.

If you go to Peggy’s Cove, Nova Scotia there is a Lobster Shack nearby. Omg my 1.5 pound lobster was the best I’ve ever had. Not a fancy place by any means, but oh so fresh and delicious. You can get 1,1.5,2 ,2.5 pounder if you wish. I actually received 2 extra claws because the cook thought the ones on my Lobster where too small. fa7f9c371a619bef53aefa1cd096b313.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOBSTA ... I've been out of New England for too long ... don't know Rest. names ... but you need to get BIG full sized REAL Lobsters!!

Boston http://www.nonamerestaurant.com

Take seafood chowder and scallops.

They are absolutely terrific. It is in Seaport district.

Don't take lobster, leave it to some lobster shacks in Maine. The best lobsters are in those simple shacks, fresh and delicious

I can NOT believe the noname is till in business! Agree with you 100% ... some of the BEST lobster I've ever had was in a lobster roll in Maine & NH.

Anyone here know the name of the Hampton Beach ( I think it's Hampton Beach or near Hampton Beach NH) restaurant that serves the BEST seafood/lobster? It's picnic tables and you hammer open the lobsters and it's just fun and messy? It's been SO long since I've been in New England ...

p.s. It is NOT doable for a cruise stop.

Some more suggestions for Portland that may appeal to the kids: Whoopie pies from Two Fat Cats Bakery. Funky hot dogs and tater tots at Blue Rooster. They do poutine using tots instead of fries. My favorite is the "Three Little Pigs": tots, gravy, cheese curds, sausage, bacon, and pork belly.

I can NOT believe the noname is till in business! Agree with you 100% ... some of the BEST lobster I've ever had was in a lobster roll in Maine & NH.

They are in business and still very popular. You might meet somebody famous there.

Seaport district is very different now and soooo beautiful.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Reading the comments already made my mouth watering! I do have 2 young kids with me, but I'm sure I can find something for them to eat at any restaurants, so their liking isn't my concern. =P

My husband and I love lobsters, mussels, clams, scallops, oysters, basically any kind of shellfish. Really can't miss this opportunity to try out the best seafood in the area.

The alternate is with clarified butter, which is supposedly "Connecticut" style. Becky's Diner in Portland serves them both ways.

That sounds awesome:hearteyes: I don't like mayo so never sought out Lobster Roll, but might they next time we are up that way.

OP - Halifax and Saint John should both have a fried dough called "Beaver Tail" that the kids (and you) may enjoy. It is usually served as a dessert with cinnamon/sugar (I've also seen pictures loaded with lots of sweet toppings) but can be savory with garlic.

Halifax also has a local dish called Donair. It is similar to a gyro but has a sweet, creamy vinegar dressing. You can find it at most pizza stands.

We wanted to try both on our trip in October, but didn't think to get in the morning on our way to the Citadel and were too full after lunch at Your Father's Mustache (great restaurant, but probably not for the littles).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone here know the name of the Hampton Beach ( I think it's Hampton Beach or near Hampton Beach NH) restaurant that serves the BEST seafood/lobster? It's picnic tables and you hammer open the lobsters and it's just fun and messy? It's been SO long since I've been in New England ...

p.s. It is NOT doable for a cruise stop.

Do you mean Markey's or Brown's in Seabrook, NH just before the bridge to Hampton Beach?

WHOOPIE PIES. :hearteyes:

an "italian sandwich"....nothing really italian about it but they are a staple and mighty tasty. I get a few every time I go back home to ME.

and if you are really brave..."red hot dogs" (not my thing, but my dad loved them.) Cheng will know what they are. ;p

Moxie ......again not my thing, but many folks love it.

(I didn't live the red dogs or moxie while growing up there.)

• 4 months later...