Would you consider living on a cruise ship?

goldengirl123

I've spent 43 years at sea, and when I retire, I will do what the old salts have done in New England for centuries: I'm going to put an oar on my shoulder and walk inland until someone asks what that is on my shoulder. I've lived on ships long enough.

Careful....you just might end up walking clear to the opposite coast, and never meet someone that can't recognize an oar..:D

Of course working on a ship, is a far different situation than being on a cruise....tell me....when you are on a vacation, don't you ever go on a cruise?

I retired (temporarily, as it turns out) from the bus business....

But I've given serious thought of buying a motorhome to cruise over the continent on....:)

"Busman's Holiday", indeed.... ;)

I've spent 43 years at sea, and when I retire, I will do what the old salts have done in New England for centuries: I'm going to put an oar on my shoulder and walk inland until someone asks what that is on my shoulder. I've lived on ships long enough.

When I retire nobody will ask why I'm wearing an oar because I wouldn't have one. I'm sure that my LinkedIn profile won't get me beer in return for stories, where an oar would get my doctor concerned.

Would you cruise after you retire? If you wouldn't have a job to do on board except for drinking cocktails in a jacuzzi while seeing the world passing by?

A bunch of things come to mind when thinking of living on a cruise ship:

1) After a few weeks, I would get very very good at the repeat trivia and probably win 1st place every time.

2) Muster drill? Again???

3) Ugh, The same 4 production shows over and over again.

4) Have to get into a routine - Sunday morning... wake up early and go down and get new room card/cabin key...

5) For the first several months, do I have to pay for Carnival’s Faster to the Fun?

6) Does the cruise line have a monthly WiFi internet package? Or will it cost $700 million for a year’s worth of slow wifi?

7) Does the spa offer normal dental cleanings? Or do I just get my teeth whitened every 6 months?

8) Elegant night again? eh, forgetaboutit

9) Doesn’t matter how long I’m aboard - I will still always step out of the elevator and turn the wrong way wherever I am walking to.

10) Those gorgeous production show singers and dancers will eventually just look like the everyday woman next door.

and finally, how long will my boss allow me to “work from home”, before he finally catches on that I am actually somewhere at sea?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by crooooze

I love being on the water and the opportunity to visit beautiful ports, but I cannot imagine living a life on a cruise ship (at least not on the lines I've sailed). By the end of a week I am ready for my own cooking and I'd be concerned about healthcare on the ship.

Now that I "I'm Marching Inland" going through my mind (thanks for the ear worm;p)- there's a line "never drop your anchor less than 90 miles from shore - there'll always be temptation to be off to sea once more."

I've heard that it is impossible to be less than 90 miles from shore in Great Britain. Do you know if this is true or just a cute tale told at renaissance fair pub sings?

I would certainly consider living on cruise ships. I'd want ships that sail diverse itineraries and would want to switch ships on occasion. I don't see myself growing tired of cruise ship food, there is more variety than I have at home, and I'd eat on land as the mood hit me.

I think it would be liberating to do without a home or apartment or car and all the stuff I've accumulated. I would need a land vacation every once in a while to visit family and friends and get dental check ups. I might decide after six months, a year, or five years that I want to do something else. I assume that as I get older I will be less willing and able to care for a house, car, and yard. At some point I will have to move somewhere for nursing care, if I don't have the good graces to drop dead.

I think it would be liberating to do without a home or apartment or car and all the stuff I've accumulated..

I do wonder what that would be like,and I think that after the initial shock,it might be nice. And if I'm going to give up all that stuff, I'd want something in return (i.e. a sea view, rather than a "retirement apartment".)

I'm not sure I'd want to be on a ship for more than a few weeks, really. I'd want my own kitchen, my cats, a garden, solid ground under my feet, internet, shopping, proper water plumbing...all that stuff. The excitement of it, the glamour? Meh. You wouldn't care about it after a while. And I'd still want to do land-based trips and see family.

I could see living near a port (I already do, actually, not that I ever seem to use it!) and cruising a lot. In fact, one of my plans for later in life is to move overseas (I have citizenship and all--I'm not talking out my rear) such that I'm within reasonable distance of an airport, a cruise port, and public transportation. Then I'll just...travel places!