Are you a 'new cruise' stuff buyer?

Velvetwater

As long as it is a classic and you still enjoy the look, packs well and is comfy sounds like a winner to me. If you are concerned about the repeat pictures maybe try mixing up the accessories or topping with a pretty pashmina.

I'm not sure why coats are a problem. Don't you wear them to/from the port so they wouldn't end up in the luggage?

Mixed weather next week... probably freezing for our train ride, and next day's coach ride to the port, with evil winds forecast :o;and the same into the Bay of Biscay so we need puffa jackets; it could be raining in Barcelona, and you really need something solid, not the cheap ponchos we take everywhere; France and Northern Italy we know from experience can be chilly in March, but probably not puffa weather- more like a fleece or another lighter jacket. It's the same with shoes- some really heavy ones to withstand rain and winds, and something lighter for when we finally reach the more southerly ports. :D

Out next cruise is Alaska and we live in Florida. So far I’ve purchased rain pants for each of us (me and hubby), waterproof hiking shoes for both, a rain coast for me, a hooded sweatshirt for both, multiple long sleeve t-shirts for me, and a backpack for hubby. Can you tell the Columbia outlet loves me?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mixed weather next week... probably freezing for our train ride, and next day's coach ride to the port, with evil winds forecast :o;and the same into the Bay of Biscay so we need puffa jackets; it could be raining in Barcelona, and you really need something solid, not the cheap ponchos we take everywhere; France and Northern Italy we know from experience can be chilly in March, but probably not puffa weather- more like a fleece or another lighter jacket. It's the same with shoes- some really heavy ones to withstand rain and winds, and something lighter for when we finally reach the more southerly ports. :D

Gotcha;) Several different coats. In the states we have 'Space Bags' that you can put bulky items in and squeeze the air out to take up less space. Do you have something like that? (I hope I don't sound like a dumb American)

Out next cruise is Alaska and we live in Florida. So far I’ve purchased rain pants for each of us (me and hubby), waterproof hiking shoes for both, a rain coast for me, a hooded sweatshirt for both, multiple long sleeve t-shirts for me, and a backpack for hubby. Can you tell the Columbia outlet loves me?

We love Columbia outlets too - bonus if you can get clearance!

Gotcha;) Several different coats. In the states we have 'Space Bags' that you can put bulky items in and squeeze the air out to take up less space. Do you have something like that? (I hope I don't sound like a dumb American)

We love Columbia outlets too - bonus if you can get clearance!

Hi... yes, we have space bags and similar... but I think we've cracked it! ;p It's a repositioning, so we can take as much as we want going out...we're taking older T shirts and similar to be worn under other clothes, and then we'll dump them because we have to fly back, so there's a limited weight. Out come last year's black Ts! :D :rolleyes:

I do have a closet with polo shirts, some tops and some pants that only go cruising. Also have some nice Travellers that only go cruising, but those I rarely actually wear.

In past years when we went to Alaska, and then to Antarctica ,we bought waterproof shoes (Alaska) and waterproof boots for Antarctica. Assorted temperature rated down waterproof and windproof coats, scarves, hats gloves including heated ones, etc. Also base layers and hoodies.

We live in sub-tropics so certainly not things we use at home thankfully.

Our next round of travel will have us in NYC and London in December, among other places, that all that cold/wet weather stuff will come out of hiding.

Edited by SPacificbound
correction

Just a tip, make sure you wear those shoes A LOT before your trip.

My husband was laughing at me buying new cruise clothes (as I do every time) and buying new make up cases/special toiletries and bits which got me thinking if anyone else is the same.

I often sell my old clothes on sites and I do have favourites I keep....that way I don't loose too much money.

Wondered if anyone else is like me or if people are the opposite and have cruise clothes they keep in case etc for each cruise?

Related to 'clothing', we are in the process of deciding what packing cubes we want to purchase.

We have travel clothes that we select for how well they travel. We use them for land travel or for cruises. We only travel with carry on so we select our travel clothes carefully and tend to keep them for an extended period.

I usually buy a few new items for a cruise. I generally keep a small wardrobe that is suited to my cool rainy climate and informal style. I typically need to get some clothes that are appropriate for the destination. I don't shop often, so its good motivation to get myself to the store.

Before our last cruise in December, I bought several pieces of clothing from Columbia Sportswear. Quick dry, easily packable, and lightweight pants, shorts, and skorts. I added a few new t-shirts, and a sun shirt.

I am losing weight on a restrictive diet, so none of the pants and shorts fit me from past years.

I do find that we buy one travel item each year, and use it on our trip. I bought a tote bag in 2015, and used it this time too. I bought a travel alarm clock with a night light. I change which cameras and electronics we bring. None of my items are only for cruises.

We travel several months during the year - cruises and other types of travel. But, even then we don’t buy cruise (or travel) specific clothes. We carry the clothes we would normally wear. I am a practical person and don’t see a need for clothes that only get worn at certain times.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are exactly the same. Beside, I hate shopping so I buy something that will travel well and will last. All we really buy any is clothing that will travel well. It is the first priority when shopping for clothing.

I’m like you.. cruises are a time for me to get a chance to wear all my fun, fancy, beachy clothes, dresses and skirts. I don’t really have cruise only outfits, as I do dress up from time to time, but I like to pick out my best clothes for my cruise. I’ll purchase a few new pieces.. this year I didn’t need any dresses, as I received a few for Christmas, but I needed a new coverup, some shorts, sandals, basic tanks and a sparkly top. I also make sure not to re wear my formal outfits cruise after cruise.

I’m a couponer so I have plenty of toiletries but I did stock up on some sun screen, aloe, face spf etc.

Also purchased some packing cubes, an electronics organizer and magnetic hooks. All cheap from amazon, under $20 for all of it.

My mom goes all out. She bought my sons adorable cruise themed clothes like sailer onesies, and even a Marc Jacobs suit for my 5 year old [emoji15] love my mom but she’s a shopaholic.

Other than that, just need to grab 4 bottles of wine and some new pacis for my 1 year old, and I think we’ll be good to go [emoji1303]

I just wanted to clarify I don't just wear my new cruise stuff on the cruise...I wear it in the summers and parties and whatnot.

I used to ebay so I could sell and buy but ebay are now evil so I don't do that anymore. :)

I had a bad experience with eBay as well and was out a bit of money so I can understand your perspective on them haha. For me, I shipped a pair of sunglasses overseas (my mistake).. well, guy claims he never received them (although I had tracking info and it had only been a couple weeks)... eBay made me pay for his shipping, and refunded him.. so I paid $15 bucks for him to “buy” a pair of glasses from me. Pretty sure he received them in the end. They never investigated at all whether he actually received or not, they just went in his favor immediately. Never again.

I know it is off topic but calling Ebay evil seems a little extreme:o. I would love to know your reasoning:)

As Rachel above said, ebay is all about keeping buyers happy which means the sellers are treated like dirt and never believed (even recorded delivery will not always protect you). Lost money and had to deal with delivery took too long feedback rubbish when I stated my job meant delivery was x amount of days.

After 6+ years I was done.

My husband was laughing at me buying new cruise clothes (as I do every time) and buying new make up cases/special toiletries and bits which got me thinking if anyone else is the same.

I often sell my old clothes on sites and I do have favourites I keep....that way I don't loose too much money.

Wondered if anyone else is like me or if people are the opposite and have cruise clothes they keep in case etc for each cruise?

For the most part we use the same clothes for our cruises. DH had to replace his tuxedo about 3 times. When we worked, there were quite a few occasions when we had to be dressed up. So he wore out 2 tuxedos -- cleaners said that the seams were getting thread bare. One time he needed to get a larger size.

Shoes -- had to be replaced as we wore them out.

And when I had to start using a Rollator, all floor length dresses and skirts had to be replaced with 3/4 length items.

I just bought 4 new pairs of Hagar Cool 18 dress pants ($25/pair from JCP with a coupon code) and 2 pairs of cheap Wrangler jeans ($17/pair from Target). The last 4 pair of dress pants I bought were for our TA 5 years ago and they're just starting to look a bit sad from wearing them to work (almost every day) since. I bought the same Wrangler jeans about 2 years ago, but only one pair and I'm quite a bit harder on jeans than I am on dress pants (usually worn on days where manual labor is required). When we come back from our TP I'll put the new pants and jeans in the workwear rotation.

I'm not going to be buying shoes because I already have a lineup of either new-in-box or gently worn dress and athletic shoes that I've been purchasing off eBay for the last year - I have a couple of sellers I follow who resell things like store try-ons and returns at bargain prices.

I am trying to decide whether or not I want to buy a few new shirts or not. At this point I'm not very enthusiastic, but then I really haven't sat down with the shirts I already own to decide if they're too far gone or not. I think that will be the deciding factor

Everything else I already have, and it's perfectly serviceable.