Self laundry in Alaska Waters

FrickeNomads

I’m sailing on Princess to Alaska and I’m planning on doing some of my own laundry. However I saw a post where someone said the self service laundry rooms are not available in Alaskan waters due to environmental concerns. Can some others validate this please.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always do self-laundry on Princess including my 3 previous Princess cruises in Alaska. I plan on doing the same on my 4th AK cruise in a couple of months. These have all been RT Seattle cruises. The ship’s laundry also works in AK as DH uses the elevate benefit for his clothes.

I had also seen that same post and wonder where that person got the info. Maybe they simply misunderstood something they read/heard regarding environment in AK. I certainly hope nothing has changed as I’m planning on packing light and doing laundry!!

I always do self-laundry on Princess including my 3 previous Princess cruises in Alaska. I plan on doing the same on my 4th AK cruise in a couple of months. These have all been RT Seattle cruises. The ship’s laundry also works in AK as DH uses the elevate benefit for his clothes.

I had also seen that same post and wonder where that person got the info. Maybe they simply misunderstood something they read/heard regarding environment in AK. I certainly hope nothing has changed as I’m planning on packing light and doing laundry!!

Phewwww.... thanks for the confirmation!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This won’t affect the poster although anyone doing a southbound cruise from Whittier or Seward, the laundry rooms get very busy on the first day. Everyone that just completed a land tour before their cruise are doing their laundry that first sea day while crossing the gulf. I’ve seen some unhappy people waiting in line

I vaguely recall some of the self-service laundry rooms being closed in Alaskan waters "due to environmental regulations". I can't understand why half of the rooms are compliant and the other half aren't, but it's not my job to understand that.

Someone had shared Princess Patters from their June 2017 cruise on Ruby Princess (sorry, lost the link, just saved the docs) ... on the "at sea" day, I see this notice:

"Please note that due to strict environmental regulations in Alaskan waters, we are unable to operate the self-service laundromats on Aloha-Deck 12, Baha-Deck 11 and Plaza-Deck 5 from 2:00am, Monday, June 12 until 6:00pm, Thursday, June 15th. The remaining self service laundromats on Emerald-Deck 8, Dolphin-Deck 9, Caribe-Deck 10, Riviera-Deck 14 will remain in service."

Those would have translated to the Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, and Ketchikan days of that itinerary.

Someone had shared Princess Patters from their June 2017 cruise on Ruby Princess (sorry, lost the link, just saved the docs) ... on the "at sea" day, I see this notice:

"Please note that due to strict environmental regulations in Alaskan waters, we are unable to operate the self-service laundromats on Aloha-Deck 12, Baha-Deck 11 and Plaza-Deck 5 from 2:00am, Monday, June 12 until 6:00pm, Thursday, June 15th. The remaining self service laundromats on Emerald-Deck 8, Dolphin-Deck 9, Caribe-Deck 10, Riviera-Deck 14 will remain in service."

Those would have translated to the Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, and Ketchikan days of that itinerary.

Thanks for finding that!