Celiac Disease

Phaedra_11

Hi there, We just booked for next March on the Infinity. One person in our party has Celiac Disease. I was wondering how Celebrity handles this. We are also looking at possibly booking Qsine...would this be ok for him?

Thank you for all your help.

Fill in the Special Needs form and return to Celebrity ASAP.

Go to the MDR on the first afternoon to check that they have your booking. The menus there have symbols on menus for, dairy free, gluten free, sugar free and vegetarian.

You will be asked to order the previous night.

Hi there, We just booked for next March on the Infinity. One person in our party has Celiac Disease. I was wondering how Celebrity handles this. We are also looking at possibly booking Qsine...would this be ok for him?

Thank you for all your help.

I don't have Celiac but I am 100% gluten free. We sailed on the Summit last year and it was easy. They took care of me extremely well. We did eat all breakfast and dinner in Blu every night. I would be interested in anyone's (Gluten free experience) in Qsine,as well. We sailing soon and would be consider trying it.

Sent from my RCT6S03W12 using Forums mobile app

Have you seen the gluten testers?. We sat next to a woman who had one, just a bit of food in the tester and in a few seconds your answer smiley or frown

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wouldn’t trust those for Celiac patients. Those who elect to be GF okay, but Celiac is definitely not something to mess with. (Mother of a Celiac)

While our dining issues are not Celiac related DW has some very real other food allergies and on our recent cruises our Select Time waiters ALWAYS ask about food issues/allergies right away and the maitre d always follows up. They are concerned and careful. We have even had the executive chef come out to talk to us to make sure he has it right. Each night they would bring us the next day's menu to make sure we could find something edible for her and on the rare night that it was a problem they were quick to offer a simple broiled chicken platter, her reliable stand by. So let them know, ask questions and know that they really do care about it. Qusine? We skipped it because the nature of the dinner was trying lots of different things and it would be too hard to control the allergens that are a problem. They would have worked with us but it would take most of the fun out of the dinner if we were constantly checking ingredients.

I don't have Celiac but I am 100% gluten free. We sailed on the Summit last year and it was easy. They took care of me extremely well. We did eat all breakfast and dinner in Blu every night. I would be interested in anyone's (Gluten free experience) in Qsine,as well. We sailing soon and would be consider trying it.

We are gluten free as well and will be eating in Blu. Did they have any GF pancakes for breakfast? What were some of your favorite GF options?

I wouldn’t trust those for Celiac patients. Those who elect to be GF okay, but Celiac is definitely not something to mess with. (Mother of a Celiac)

The woman used it to verify that what the kitchen provided as gluten free was actually gluten free because she had celiac and didn't want to take a chance.

We were considering Qsine on Silhouette in late January / early February, and I went to the restaurant and spoke with the manager who assured me they could accommodate gluten free. We ended up going to Tuscan Grill a second time (because first time was so enjoyable), so did not end up eating at Qsine but was assured they could accommodate well.

The woman used it to verify that what the kitchen provided as gluten free was actually gluten free because she had celiac and didn't want to take a chance.

The biggest problem for Celiacs is cross contamination from items that are deemed gluten free. The testers only test one small section of the food. We’ve looked at them, and they run over $200 to purchase the machine and capsules are roughly $5 per test. IMO, that’s a ridiculous price when there’s no guarantee that there’s no cross contamination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The biggest problem for Celiacs is cross contamination from items that are deemed gluten free. The testers only test one small section of the food. We’ve looked at them, and they run over $200 to purchase the machine and capsules are roughly $5 per test. IMO, that’s a ridiculous price when there’s no guarantee that there’s no cross contamination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

She sent the entree back because her device sensed gluten. The dessert was ok.

She sent the entree back because her device sensed gluten. The dessert was ok.

Sometimes it’s best to go with naturally gluten free foods rather than relying on those that claim their GF. It’s definitely not easy! My poor kiddo was 10 when diagnosed. No pizza parties, no birthday cupcakes at school. It was a very difficult adjustment.

Sometimes it’s best to go with naturally gluten free foods rather than relying on those that claim their GF. It’s definitely not easy! My poor kiddo was 10 when diagnosed. No pizza parties, no birthday cupcakes at school. It was a very difficult adjustment.

Not easy for sure and can be scary. Less out of the box the better

All I can say is Good Luck!

Last spring we sailed on the Reflection. A a member of our party had gluten free restrictions due to Celiac. We dined in the MD for most meals. Someone from the kitchen staff met with her each evening to go over her choices and preferences for the next day. She had her own bread basket, sauces when appropriate, etc. She and her DH also dined in Qusine and The Porch. Each time she met with the staff prior to visiting. Overall she was extremely satisfied.

I have had a kitchen tour and observed first-hand how seriously they address allergy and dietary concerns behind the scenes.

That being said, I was not at all anxious about our recent sailing on the Summit. I am now gluten free by medical order (and no, don't assume that if you do not have Celiac, going GF is a fad). Rather than go into a long story, yes the ship was notified way in advance, we dined in Luminae and the experience was absolutely unacceptable. The GF food was inedible, my bread basket consisted of one piece of toasted raisin bread, the carbonara was soup, and my Danish nothing more than hard cornmeal. The waitstaff could not even tell me ingredients or how and where my food was being prepared. I did get sick (familiar symptoms). I ended up relying on the Spa Cafe, which offers simple, clearly labeled foods - and GF cookies!!!!!

I have written to Corporate and awaiting a reply.

I am terrified about eating on my upcoming cruises!

FWIW, I have looked into the tester. It is terribly expensive and the accuracy questionable.

I don't know how long ago your daughter was diagnosed OR where you live but here in Michigan we have several gluten free bakeries and restaurants that make REALLY good pizza and cupcakes!

Two of my grandchildren have Celiac (and get very, very sick from cross-contamination) and we are able to have pizza all the time and my daughter makes sure to send special cupcakes to school when a birthday will be celebrated so my grandchildren will be included.

(Even Costco sells gluten free pizza and cupcakes now)

That said, my daughter will only sail on Disney because they are so careful about the cross-contamination and also are so amenable to making almost anything gluten free (including pancakes, waffles, cupcakes, bread , chicken nuggets, etc., etc.)

I don't know how long ago your daughter was diagnosed OR where you live but here in Michigan we have several gluten free bakeries and restaurants that make REALLY good pizza and cupcakes!

Two of my grandchildren have Celiac (and get very, very sick from cross-contamination) and we are able to have pizza all the time and my daughter makes sure to send special cupcakes to school when a birthday will be celebrated so my grandchildren will be included.

(Even Costco sells gluten free pizza and cupcakes now)

That said, my daughter will only sail on Disney because they are so careful about the cross-contamination and also are so amenable to making almost anything gluten free (including pancakes, waffles, cupcakes, bread , chicken nuggets, etc., etc.)

We didn’t have any problems finding GF foods for home. It was as when the sports teams stopped for dinner on the way home or had a pizza party at the end of the season. As kids get older, they don’t like to stick-out, so sending GF foods was not an option. He’d rather go without than be different. He’s in college now, so he’s in charge of what he eats.

They have a totally separate food prep kitchen for the special dietary needs including food allergies, gluten free, etc. Designed and dedicated staff to avoid cross contamination. We did a behind the scenes tour on our last cruise and can verify how serious they take these dietary needs. We have a friend switching from Carnival to Celebrity for this reason since she has major Celiac issues and is down for 1-2 days if she has an episode. All of the other posts were correct about letting them know and deciding the evening before about your food choices.

Edited by MaverickPrincess
typo correction

My wife has celiac disease. We have sailed on Summit twice. Once we ate in Blu every day for breakfast and dinner. Another cruise we dined in the Main dining room. We have to say, they really bend over backwards to accommodate. I did do the "Special needs" thing, but have no idea what it did.

They have a totally separate food prep kitchen for the special dietary needs including food allergies, gluten free, etc. Designed and dedicated staff to avoid cross contamination. We did a behind the scenes tour on our last cruise and can verify how serious they take these dietary needs. We have a friend switching from Carnival to Celebrity for this reason since she has major Celiac issues and is down for 1-2 days if she has an episode. All of the other posts were correct about letting them know and deciding the evening before about your food choices.

I too have done that tour and was very impressed. Our Celiac friend had great service on the Reflection. There seems to be no explanation for the unacceptable experience I had on the Summit.

My wife has celiac disease. We have sailed on Summit twice. Once we ate in Blu every day for breakfast and dinner. Another cruise we dined in the Main dining room. We have to say, they really bend over backwards to accommodate. I did do the "Special needs" thing, but have no idea what it did.

Perhaps its Luminae? They certainly need some retraining in the area of dietary restrictions. GF options are not even listed on their menu.

I too have done that tour and was very impressed. Our Celiac friend had great service on the Reflection. There seems to be no explanation for the unacceptable experience I had on the Summit.

Perhaps its Luminae? They certainly need some retraining in the area of dietary restrictions. GF options are not even listed on their menu.

I don't think it's mentioned on any menu I've seen, but when you ask they certainly accommodate you.

My daughter has horrible gluten intolerance and loves Celebrity because they are so good about it. She is given a menu the day before and makes her selections. They are very sensitive to dietary needs and have started their Dine Aware program.

I don't think it's mentioned on any menu I've seen, but when you ask they certainly accommodate you.

Gluten free is clearly noted on the Main Diningroom menus, at the Spa Cafe, and in places at the buffet.

I did ask, and was certainly not accommodated in Luminae.

All I can say is Good Luck!

Last spring we sailed on the Reflection. A a member of our party had gluten free restrictions due to Celiac. We dined in the MD for most meals. Someone from the kitchen staff met with her each evening to go over her choices and preferences for the next day. She had her own bread basket, sauces when appropriate, etc. She and her DH also dined in Qusine and The Porch. Each time she met with the staff prior to visiting. Overall she was extremely satisfied.

I have had a kitchen tour and observed first-hand how seriously they address allergy and dietary concerns behind the scenes.

That being said, I was not at all anxious about our recent sailing on the Summit. I am now gluten free by medical order (and no, don't assume that if you do not have Celiac, going GF is a fad). Rather than go into a long story, yes the ship was notified way in advance, we dined in Luminae and the experience was absolutely unacceptable. The GF food was inedible, my bread basket consisted of one piece of toasted raisin bread, the carbonara was soup, and my Danish nothing more than hard cornmeal. The waitstaff could not even tell me ingredients or how and where my food was being prepared. I did get sick (familiar symptoms). I ended up relying on the Spa Cafe, which offers simple, clearly labeled foods - and GF cookies!!!!!

I have written to Corporate and awaiting a reply.

I am terrified about eating on my upcoming cruises!

FWIW, I have looked into the tester. It is terribly expensive and the accuracy questionable.

You experience on Reflection is the opposite of mine in Luminae. I was on a 16-night TA last April and Luminae staff was fabulous. I had all sorts of bread in my bread basket at every meal. The danish was not good and I declined. I had all sorts of entrees which were changed to be gluten-free and fabulous. For many nights I asked for a side of gluten-free pasta on the side in addition to whatever entrees I had. They were very accommodating and modifed entrees which I selected to have them be made gluten-free. I certainly did not get sick from the food at Luminae. Service was great and food was delicious.