Koningsdam 3rd June 2018

clgaryguy

My partner and I are on the cruise before yours from Amsterdam leaving 20th May .... We are in Amsterdam for 3 nights from 17-20 May my first time there would be good to get some recommendations on places to go for a drink etc.

Peter & Matt from Australia

My partner and I are on the cruise before yours from Amsterdam leaving 20th May .... We are in Amsterdam for 3 nights from 17-20 May my first time there would be good to get some recommendations on places to go for a drink etc.

Peter & Matt from Australia

Hi Peter and Matt,

You must be getting so excited! A lot of visitors stay in the centre. I am not sure what you are interested in, but if you venture out to the east of the city, you will find all kinds of little gems. Dappermart is nice to see. There is a windmill close by and if you like Thai food, there is a little hole in the wall called Boi Boi. For me they have the best Thai food. In the neighborhood you will also find Tropen museum. Beautiful museum which focuses on culture from around the world.

Have you cruised Holland America in the past? This is our first time: we consistently sail on Norwegian.

Cheers!

Victor

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Peter and Matt,

You must be getting so excited! A lot of visitors stay in the centre. I am not sure what you are interested in, but if you venture out to the east of the city, you will find all kinds of little gems. Dappermart is nice to see. There is a windmill close by and if you like Thai food, there is a little hole in the wall called Boi Boi. For me they have the best Thai food. In the neighborhood you will also find Tropen museum. Beautiful museum which focuses on culture from around the world.

Have you cruised Holland America in the past? This is our first time: we consistently sail on Norwegian.

Cheers!

Victor

Forgot to mention that there is a brewery in the east as well. Right underneath the windmill I mentioned above.

Thanks for the tips much appreciated, We haven't been on Holland America either but from what I watched on you tube it looks amazing .... We have cruised on the Celebrity Solstice, Celebrity Equinox and RCCL Anthem of the seas .... We are staying at the Park Hotel for the first 3 night before the cruise and have decided we are going to stay another 2 nights when we get back from the cruise ... might check out a mister bnb for the return trip.

Peter & Matt

Hi Victor,

My partner and I will been the cruise following yours. Our cruise is 14 days long, and goes all the way up to northern Norway. We live in Nova Scotia, and will be flying to Amsterdam on June 7. We plan to spend the two days in the immediate vicinity of central Amsterdam, and then again two days after the cruise in the same area. Perhaps we can plan to meet on June 24 or 25th.

Regards,

Howard

Hi Howard,

Everyone seems to be taking the cruise either before or after ours. [emoji3]. Wow! 14 days That’s great! We will be on the ship when you arrive to Amsterdam! I am open to meeting up. 24 or 25 June is good.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Howard,

Everyone seems to be taking the cruise either before or after ours. [emoji3]. Wow! 14 days That’s great! We will be on the ship when you arrive to Amsterdam! I am open to meeting up. 24 or 25 June is good.

Hi Victor: Carlos and I are sailing with you on June 3rd. We arrive in Amsterdam on May 24th for two nights (staying at Barangay B&B which we like), then we fly to Stockholm on May 26th to start a one week “capitols” tour with Authentic Scandinavia. We arrive back in AMS on June 2nd to catch boat next day. We’ll be staying in AMS for another 4 nights at the end of the cruise. We’ve both been to AMS many times but this will be Carlos’s first visit to Scandinavia, and I wanted to do it right. We appreciate your information about Dappermarkt and Boi Boi. Never seen that part of AMS, and we also love good Thai food, we visit Little Thai Prince every time we visit. We are looking forward to meeting you. Best regards, Bob & Carlos

Edited by MiamiBob
Correct name.

Hi Victor: Carlos and I are sailing with you on June 3rd. We arrive in Amsterdam on May 24th for two nights (staying at Barangay B&B which we like), then we fly to Stockholm on May 26th to start a one week “capitols” tour with Authentic Scandinavia. We arrive back in AMS on June 2nd to catch boat next day. We’ll be staying in AMS for another 4 nights at the end of the cruise. We’ve both been to AMS many times but this will be Carlos’s first visit to Scandinavia, and I wanted to do it right. We appreciate your information about Dappermarkt and Boi Boi. Never seen that part of AMS, and we also love good Thai food, we visit Little Thai Prince every time we visit. We are looking forward to meeting you. Best regards, Bob & Carlos

Ahhh, That is great! Super! We know the Little Thai Prince...great place..If you like it there, you will definitely like Boi Boi... Looking forward to meeting you onboard! Are any of you guys doing any excursions. We have only now just started to think about it.

Cheers!

Victor en Pascal

Hi Victor en Pascal: we haven't thought about shore excursions yet either! I sailed with my late partner and friends from Copenhagen on the then brand new Celebrity Constellation in July/August 2002 for what they called an "8 NIGHTS NORWEGIAN FJORDS CRUISE". This cruise is very similar. One of the fun things I recall was to go ashore in Geiranger to go see (and walk on) the glacier. Since it was 16 years ago, perhaps the glacier has receded??

I recall that Bergen is very pretty and we toured the Hanseatic Museum. The following quote from Trip Advisor, "We absolutely adored the Bergen wharf area and the Hanseatic buildings. They are beautifully maintained and offer a unique and special glimpse into a bygone era. There is no reason not to visit the Hanseatic museum if you are at the wharf. It is pretty small, and you can get through in an hour, or more if you are a History buff. My kids were very interested in the various rooms and displays. It gets pretty crowded, I would try to go as early in the day as possible."

You can also get a BERGEN CARD that allows you to use public transit and get reduced or free rates into the museums and sights. - https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductDetail-g190502-d11462973-Bergen_Card-Bergen_Hordaland_Western_Norway.html

Best regards, Bob & Carlos