Pre-cruise logistics for Booklyn Cruise departure

Xoe

My niece and I need a 2-night hotel stay October 21-22 before boarding Windstar's Star Pride at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal on October 23. We'll fly in from Seattle to LaGuardia late on October 21. Any help on logistics will be hugely appreciated: ideas for hotels, how best to get to our hotel and then to the ship. Ideal would be a Manhattan location from which we can walk to sites/sights, if affordable and manageable for transfers from the airport and to the ship.

Thanks!

My niece and I need a 2-night hotel stay October 21-22 before boarding Windstar's Star Pride at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal on October 23. We'll fly in from Seattle to LaGuardia late on October 21. Any help on logistics will be hugely appreciated: ideas for hotels, how best to get to our hotel and then to the ship. Ideal would be a Manhattan location from which we can walk to sites/sights, if affordable and manageable for transfers from the airport and to the ship.

Thanks!

What is your realistic hotel budget? Are you two people? AAA or seniors? How much luggage will you have? What are your sightseeing objectives in Manhattan?

Car Service from LGA to Manhattan would be $40-50. It would likely be a similar amount to Brooklyn unless you can manage your luggage on the accessible water taxi from Wall St to the Brooklyn pier.

Thanks so much for your interest and suggestions.

I am a senior and have AAA. It would be nice (but seemingly unrealistic) to have hotel cost under $200 per night. I spent time on this yesterday and found some appealing hotels that were fully booked; others had no availability of rooms with 2 beds, which we need. I reserved (cancellable/refundable) 2 nights at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Manhattan/Times Square, 330 West 40th Street, cost $569.27. If there are better options I'd love to hear about them. Of great importance is a location good for seeing sites/sights by walking.

Is there a hotel shuttle from LGA to Manhattan hotels? I've used those in Europe and like them. Once I am sure of our hotel, I'll inquire of the concierge and see what they suggest.

Appreciatively,

Freda (aka Xoe)

Thanks so much for your interest and suggestions.

I am a senior and have AAA. It would be nice (but seemingly unrealistic) to have hotel cost under $200 per night. I spent time on this yesterday and found some appealing hotels that were fully booked; others had no availability of rooms with 2 beds, which we need. I reserved (cancellable/refundable) 2 nights at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Manhattan/Times Square, 330 West 40th Street, cost $569.27. If there are better options I'd love to hear about them. Of great importance is a location good for seeing sites/sights by walking.

Is there a hotel shuttle from LGA to Manhattan hotels? I've used those in Europe and like them. Once I am sure of our hotel, I'll inquire of the concierge and see what they suggest.

Appreciatively,

Freda (aka Xoe)

There are no hotel shuttles from LGA (or any other NY-area airport) to Manhattan hotels. Free shuttles are only provided by hotels in the immediate area of the airport .

Your best transportation options from LGA to Manhattan are taxi, Uber or car service.

according to the ny cruise terminal website, you ship will be docking in the manhattan terminal. make sure you verify from the cruise line which terminal the ship is using

https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

Good catch! I wonder why Xoe thinks the Star Pride is sailing from Brooklyn. The ship is arriving from a transatlantic crossing.

"Start spreading the news, Windstar Cruises will be sailing into (and out of) Manhattan on its first-ever itineraries in New England and Canada beginning summer/fall 2018. Windstar’s 212-guest all-suite yacht Star Pride will embark on four new sailings (with five sail dates) that span nine to 16 days, offering leisurely opportunities to enjoy fall foliage and discover charming New England coastal towns, historic gems like Boston and Newport, and the seductively old world appeal of the Canadian Maritimes and Quebec. Star Pride will arrive in New York for the first time via Iceland."

THANK YOU!!! Good news! I thought we sailed out of Brooklyn because that's what the itinerary says.:confused: Manhattan is better for many reasons.

Still working on the hotel. Am considering Fairfield Inn/Times Square and La Quinta/Central Park, which is a better location for walking to museums near there, also walking in the park. Some hotels are already fully booked; others have no availability of rooms with 2 beds. If anyone knows a good possibility up towards Central Park, I'd love to hear.

THANK YOU!!! Good news! I thought we sailed out of Brooklyn because that's what the itinerary says.:confused: Manhattan is better for many reasons.

Still working on the hotel. Am considering Fairfield Inn/Times Square and La Quinta/Central Park, which is a better location for walking to museums near there, also walking in the park. Some hotels are already fully booked; others have no availability of rooms with 2 beds. If anyone knows a good possibility up towards Central Park, I'd love to hear.

If you have printed documentation from Windstar for Brooklyn, you need to call them directly and ask. The New York cruise schedule shows Manhattan (https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/)

Which museums do you want to visit? Central Park is enormous and there are museums on both the west and east sides. The La Quinta Central Park is close to the Museum of Natural History as well as two subway stations on 72nd St.

If you are interested in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and MoMA consider a property eastside Midtown. You can then walk to MoMA, Rockefeller Center even Times Square. There is a subway or you can take the bus Madison Avenue to East 79 to Met. The Met is adjacent to Central Park. The bus returns via 5th Ave past the fancy shops. One can also take the bus up to the Cloisters which is well worth your visit. Check out the Doubletree Metropolitan located at 51 and Lex. But there are plenty more in that area but probably more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These boards are a godsend -- thanks to you all for your input. I booked at La Quinta Central Park when a room with 2 beds became available, and although I'll continue to check periodically, chances are that we will be at L.Q. for our pre-cruise nights. We both love to walk and there is much of interest within walking distance from there.

Windstar's site now shows the ship leaving from Manhattan. Major thanks to you two who pointed that out.