Danube River Cruise with Viking

NH_Traveler

I second most everything the PPers have suggested. Here are a couple of other thoughts;

Look into booking your own hotel at either end - we saved significant dollars by doing so. We did the opposite direction from you so we spent a few days in Salzburg and then took the train to Passau. (We wanted to spend the time in Munich but there was a HUGE convention going on and hotels were crazy priced - like $500 a night for a bad hotel!). At the end of the cruise, we stayed in a beautiful hotel in Budapest for a few days again at a significant savings over what Viking offered with their extension. The difference at both ends was that we had to arrange our own transportation to and from the airport/boat. Finding the boat in Passau was easy....I might have some concerns doing so in Budapest as there are sooooo many boats there. But I am sure some others will come along that can advise you on that.

We enjoyed the cruise and my biggest complaint was Viking's refusal/inability to provide a better idea of times in ports or to even follow the general times they do provide before the cruise. We were traveling with another couple so the four of us each took two ports and researched options for our free time there. I had some town along the way where the Viking info said we would arrive after lunch, have our included city tour, then dinner on board with departure late that evening "allowing time to explore after dinner on board". So I researched and found TripAdvisor's best dessert, plotted a route from the dock to the dessertry taking us by a couple of historic places....well don't cha know, we arrived before breakfast, had our tour and left while we were having lunch! Viking says it is due to the uncertainties of the locks and such...but I don't buy it, not being half a day off! LOL For a planner like me, not being able to plan was a disappointment.

While in Vienna, the conceirge announced a previously unmentioned trip to the market with the chef - it was free, you just had to pay for the subway ticket, which she bought and added to our on board account - 3 euros as I recall. It was a great afternoon! LOTS of tastings and very enjoyable. At the end, you could ride back with her and the chef or do as we did and explore some more and take the subway back by yourself, which was very easy.

In Budapest, I HIGHLY (can do so enough) recommend going to the Market. We arranged a market tour and cooking class which we really enjoyed. We also had a great meal in Budapest one evening at a TripAdvisor recommedation. The day we departed the ship, we went to the turkish baths and had a great soak.

Have a great time!

We will be in Budapest this summer. The cooking class sounds wonderful. Can you provide any further details?

Catherine

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be in Budapest this summer. The cooking class sounds wonderful. Can you provide any further details?

Catherine

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m hesitant to recommend on the board since sometimes that gets you in trouble, so send me an email to BigNCBear@aol.com and I’ll be more than happy to share all I can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you bring your own spirits on board? Say a flask or a fifth of liquor? In your suitcase?

No need to hide it, although, I wouldn’t walk around with my own bottle. That said, people do walk into dinner or the lounge with a cocktail from their room.

You can also bring wine on board, and many return with wine from the towns. Wait staff will uncork for you without issue .

The CC guidelines prohibit recommending vendors without being asked. Since clcmdse asked, you are free to respond here. [Which is also safer than posting your email on a public forum]

Oh Jazzbeau my email is everywhere anyway! Lol. And I got a permanent mark on my permanent record by answering a similar question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is one of the best I've seen on CC. There is a fountain of information and I have been busy copying and pasting into Notes and printing out for our upcoming voyage.

Thanks to all for your good comments and recommendations.

For those that have stayed overnight in Budapest before boarding for the cruise, were you able to find liquor and wine stores near the river?

No need to look for a specialized store. Any supermarket or "grocery" store will do. And they are scattered throughout that area.

Thanks. We found the same in England and hoped it was the same in Hungary. The supermarket stop was going to happen anyway to purchase other items that we couldn't pack for the flight.

Just remember your shopping bag.;)

Good tip. It was the same in England and fortunately, we had a bag in our luggage to carry the goods. This time we'll have it ready when we go shopping.

We took this trip twice, once during Christmas Market time in December which we loved. I would not take optional tours as the cities themselves are worth the time after the included tour to do on your own. The exception to this is probably the Vienna evening show. We did our own flights and stayed at the Sofitel in Budapest which is right by the Chain bridge where the boat was and it was very reasonable. We took a walking tour of the city which included taking the subway, but Budapest is a great Walking city. We love Passau as it is an interesting small city. You will meet many interesting people as there are less than 200 people and most of the activity takes place in the lounge when on board. Dinner has something for everyone and we usually had our wine filled and take it back to the lounge after dinner as we don't drink a lot that was fine for us. You will probably talk to some people and find a group on board, we made friends in 2013 that we still vacation with. Just know it's not like a big ship especially as entertainment goes, there is a ship piano player and some local entertainment brought on board a few times but most people are in bed by 11pm as the days start early. Enjoy

PS we are signed up for river cruise #5 next year

We took this trip twice, once during Christmas Market time in December which we loved. I would not take optional tours as the cities themselves are worth the time after the included tour to do on your own. The exception to this is probably the Vienna evening show. We did our own flights and stayed at the Sofitel in Budapest which is right by the Chain bridge where the boat was and it was very reasonable. We took a walking tour of the city which included taking the subway, but Budapest is a great Walking city. We love Passau as it is an interesting small city. You will meet many interesting people as there are less than 200 people and most of the activity takes place in the lounge when on board. Dinner has something for everyone and we usually had our wine filled and take it back to the lounge after dinner as we don't drink a lot that was fine for us. You will probably talk to some people and find a group on board, we made friends in 2013 that we still vacation with. Just know it's not like a big ship especially as entertainment goes, there is a ship piano player and some local entertainment brought on board a few times but most people are in bed by 11pm as the days start early. Enjoy

PS we are signed up for river cruise #5 next year

Thanks for posting this. As I probably mentioned, this is our first river cruise as well as the first for our travel companions. We are really excited about this and we will spend the time until our July sailing to study the ports of call. I'm sure the experience will be very different from the over 40 ocean cruises we have done and we will enjoy the uniqueness of it all.

I realize that this a "touchy" issue, but I read that smoking is allowed in certain open areas on the boat, probably on the Sun Deck, and there is no restrictions mentioned. Can I assume that cigar smoking is allowed in this area? It is on most other cruise ships when there is no smoking within the ship or on the balconies. Just asking.

There is a designated smoking area. I think it's on the upper floor balcony outside the sliding glass doors. It's not on the sun deck. dunno about cigars but I never saw a "no cigars" sign.
I have been a several cruises with Viking among my 20+ river cruises. Hard to remember specific line policies and they also change rapidly. GENERALLY on many lines smoking is on the aft of the sun deck, but is often tolerated in the upper floor balcony outside the entrance doors during rainy weather. I don’t smoke, don’t like smoke but have my own habits that might offend. I am happy to try to work with courteous people no matter their vices. Smoke tends to get sucked into the boat from the foyer balcony every time the door opens (which being automatic is pretty often). I would suggest restricting cigars to aft sun deck where it is quickly blown away (baring specific boat rules to the contrary).

I have been a several cruises with Viking among my 20+ river cruises. Hard to remember specific line policies and they also change rapidly. GENERALLY on many lines smoking is on the aft of the sun deck, but is often tolerated in the upper floor balcony outside the entrance doors during rainy weather. I don’t smoke, don’t like smoke but have my own habits that might offend. I am happy to try to work with courteous people no matter their vices. Smoke tends to get sucked into the boat from the foyer balcony every time the door opens (which being automatic is pretty often). I would suggest restricting cigars to aft sun deck where it is quickly blown away (baring specific boat rules to the contrary).

I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I try to be considerate of others when enjoying a cigar and would look to find a spot where the smoke is being blown away from the ship.

• 1 month later...

What are the chances of there being cancellations? I sometimes see "wait list" on otherwise sold sailings. We can travel on maybe a week's notice, if documents would arrive. With Viking being a more "senior" clientele, just wondered if sometimes people have to cancel due to health reasons. Anyone have experience with a cabin opening up last minute? Wouldn't be interested in a standard cabin, Veranda A is preferred.

• 3 weeks later...