Cabin review of new mini suite on Sun Deck of Arcadia

ARCADIA CRUISES-J402 and J403

Our first cruise on Arcadia

Embarkation

This was our first time in a mini suite, so we had priority boarding.

We reached Southampton just before 12midday, and were onboard shortly afterwards. We were then directed to the posh lunch in the Meridian. Nibbles and bubbly basically, but very nice. Cabin was ready shortly afterwards.

We had booked S2, the new mini suite on the sundeck.

What did we think of it? Well it’s large. No bath, but we knew that already.

I only discovered a couple of days before boarding, thanks to photos uploaded onto CC that the balconies stick out from the side of the ship. I don't have head for heights, and thought, oh dear, but I was fine on it. It was long and not too deep. We had 2 reclining chairs, with footrests, a small table, and a large table. I guess in case you want to eat on your balcony. When the ship was moving, we did sometimes find it a little windy out there, but having said that other times it was beautiful. There is nothing overhead, so if it was sunny, you were in full sun. We went onto the sun deck above us, and could not look down onto it, as the glass panels up there prevented this.

When we were getting ready for dinner we discovered a few things missing.

There were no hooks in the cabin at all!!!!!! We also realized there was no retractable line and no bathrobes.

Bathrobes were sorted following morning, by Louie, our fantastic steward. He had joined the same day as us, so was not involved in the set-up of the room.

Have to say when I first rang reception about the bathrobes; they stated only suites had them. Was not expecting to argue that point with them.

Anyway bathrobes supplied, now the hooks that took a couple of days before we became the proud owners of 4 hooks on the inside of the bathroom door, and 2 lots of 2 on the outside of the door. So any future occupants of S2, you can thank me for the hooks. They did not want to put them on the wall, as they did not know where cables ran. So we now had bathrobes and hooks, more about the washing line later.

Is the cabin noisy? Well I was usually asleep when the crow’s nest kicked out, and during the first cruise (we were on aB2B) OH said he sometimes heard the odd noise, but nothing too bad. There is also a store cupboard across the way for drinks. We sometimes heard noise from there, but not a lot, and not all the time. Also we did spend a fair amount of time in the cabin; others who didn’t might not hear any noise from the store cupboard.

Did we hear noise from above? Well no, it was not warm enough for the first few days, then one morning we heard a grinding noise. We found out later that day that some of the cabins on sun deck had leaky ceilings. Ours didn't, but they closed off the sun deck for the rest of the cruise while they resealed it.

The retractable line.......after a day we were visited by the deck supervisor, to try and sort out the lack of a line. This took the majority of the first cruise. They did not want to drill into the tiled wall of the shower, so were trying to come up with some other cunning plan. I did say if it wasn't sorted by changeover day, instead of flags across the ship there would be my washing. In the end a cunning plan was found. They custom made 2 clear rubber discs, which were siliconed into place.

Happy me.

All the washing machines and dryers were replaced during this cruise as well.

For various reasons we spend a fair amount of time in the cabin, and with a 3 seater sofa, 2 chairs, a table,16 drawers, 3 cubby holes there was loads of space for us and our stuff, without feeling hemmed in.

Enough of the cabin, other things about the ship

The crow’s nest....very light and airy. We liked this, only problem being if you had some one performing you could only see them, if you were sat in front of them. The performing area was at the back of the room, instead of more central.

The shops......this was one large area, except if they had sales tables out. Usually it was OK to walk through, but if it was busy...a bit of a scrum. Also you had to look at prices tags as the very expensive Joseph, was cheek by jowl with the Saloos.

The food.....we felt in the MDR this was the best food we had in a very long while. We had a table for 2. Tasty small portions, but enough to fill you up after 3/4 courses.

We also ate in East..I liked it, OH not so much. Ocean grill, we ate there on the first cruise as MPW was on board.. We liked it so much we ate there again 2nd cruise.

Captain......I called him Captain Invisible, as you rarely heard him, and never saw him. For the last 3 days of the 1st cruise he was not heard from at all. Occasionally when leaving port we had the same speech each time. Sit back relax and let us take care of you(pat on the head)

Fellow cruisers.......this was quite interesting. First cruise was 19 days, to Venice, so age profile quite high. Dress code adhered to 95% of the time. Smoking rules obeyed 100% of the time. There were some people who must have been on saver fares as they were quite vocal on the shuttle buses about having to pay. Your card was scanned prior to boarding the bus. If you had to pay it was charged to your on board account. First there and back you were charged, 3rd and all other trips that day were free.

2nd cruise...shorter cruise so younger age profiles consequently it was noisier (i.e. when crow’s nest tipped them out). Dress code not so adhered to. Smoking rules...well on this cruise there was gentle reminder that smoking was not allowed on balconies at any time. There is enough info when you book to say this I not allowed, but obviously this rule does not apply to them. Also on the walkway behind the new cabins to midships. Obviously it is much too far for some smokers to walk to the designated area midships. So there set themselves up just outside the door. Of course the smoking rules do not apply to them.

Would we have that cabin again…Well we have already booked another cruise on Arcadia, but sorry to say that cabin was already booked, so will have to settle for another cabin.

If I download my pix anytime soon I will try and upload interior shots of S2, the new mini suite on Sun Deck.

Great read. Thanks. I am surprised the occupants of that cabin on the world cruise didn't get the hooks and washing line sorted out. I wonder how they managed for all that time.

Sue

Yes, thanks for an informative and interesting review. On Arcadia in mini suite in July, will have a nosy at the general area if your mini suite...happy cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you. Enjoyable read. Very disappointing to hear that the younger generation on board felt they didn't need to adhere to the dress code, or smoking rules. Is this the future of cruising.:(

Sorry to say it was not just the younger generation not adhering to it.One old gent came wandering past with a white baseball cap on.

Sort of strange site I saw in the shop area, so no queries about what people were wearing there. Except it was a formal night so you had loads of people dressed up to the 9's wandering around ,and in among them them was a large guy in black t and jeans, and I assume with him (or maybe not) was a lady whose jeans were tastefully not joined together all up the outside seam-may have been denim bows bridging the 1inch gap all the way up.

My only thought was-how was this cruise sold to them..Would they have been happier on a less formal ship. Never got a chance to ask them-but I would like to have done.

It was strange, downstairs in the Meridian (set dining) when I looked around all I could see was formal wear ,on formal night.

Should just add I did not mean the cruise should not have been sold to people who wear jeans. I meant in the sense of "sold" as in ,how was the world of cruising "sold" to them.

I understood what you meant!

I enjoyed your review, thank you. Not that I could ever afford a suite :)

Enjoyable read.

Arcadia is one ship we haven't been on yet.

I understand what you mean about rules don't apply to some. I wonder is it defiance or laziness?

Ref the smoking I think it was total laziness. the designated smoking area on that deck was inbetween the lifts (I think) on port side, with tables and chairs and ash trays and slightly sheltered. Where they were smoking was just outside the door, not sheltered at all, so ash would have blown about. It got very windy there sometimes. On the 2nd day an ashtray appeared on the red fire hose box. This was never emptied ,so within a couple of days it was full to the brim...and there it stayed. All they had to do was walk a bit further alone..shush.......

Thinking about it..on the last sea day we were walking along there and I noticed one of the drain holes at side, about half way along was half full of butt ends. Why do smokers think we wish to share their habit-by total laziness?.

Would be interesting to know what any smokers thought of others doing this.

Ok I have given up trying to post a pix of this mini suite. Could some one explain to me in words not longer than 3 letters each how I do it.

I know I have done it in the past, but I cannot remember how.:confused::confused:

I have uploaded it to shutterfly, by my settings are not for everyone to see.

I have it saved on my pc as a separate pix. If I click on insert image, it just comes up with a small box wanting a url.

:confused

It is probably suite size at a mini suite price....

• 4 weeks later...

Pix are there! Only one is a bit teeny weeny,but great effort thanks! We are in "old" mini suite in Arcadia July 22nd. I understand we get priority boarding and welcome drink once on board ! I guess we find out more about that nearer the time?

Pix are there! Only one is a bit teeny weeny,but great effort thanks! We are in "old" mini suite in Arcadia July 22nd. I understand we get priority boarding and welcome drink once on board ! I guess we find out more about that nearer the time?

you are correct-you do get priority boarding, and instead of being directed to the belvedere ,you will be sent elsewhere (we were sent to top floor of the mdr) for drinks and nibbles. We were told the cabins were ready quite soon after that.

cabin5.jpg.ec280eee3370f0deb836ba55c2ebb607.jpg

Should just add I did not mean the cruise should not have been sold to people who wear jeans. I meant in the sense of "sold" as in ,how was the world of cruising "sold" to them.

They could well have been cruising as long as, or longer than you. Were they in jeans in the dining room or other designated formal areas? If not, then how they dress is surely up to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They could well have been cruising as long as, or longer than you. Were they in jeans in the dining room or other designated formal areas? If not, then how they dress is surely up to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They were in the shop, and as you say ,correctly, how they dress is up to them. They both looked quite young, so doubt if they have been cruising longer than me.

I was just commenting on the juxtaposition of them and the people dressed up to the 9s. I said in my original post that as they were in the shop it didn't really matter how they were dressed.

Why did I think they were 1st times cruisers. It was said somewhere that there were quite a few 1st time cruisers onboard, and I just assumed, maybe incorrectly ,that included them.

Thanks for the pictures of the new cabins. I've been wondering what they look like. It seems nice and spacious in there. :)

Although it does look like it could be quite drafty on the balcony at night.

I was just commenting on the juxtaposition of them and the people dressed up to the 9s. I said in my original post that as they were in the shop it didn't really matter how they were dressed.

You're lucky if they were just in the shop. I saw no end in jeans and t-shirts (and crocs!) in the bars on formal nights on the Oceana. One bloke looked really smug watching the people walk by... as if he was better for not wearing black tie. :rolleyes:

Edited by Monorail Orange

Thanks for the pictures of the new cabins. I've been wondering what they look like. It seems nice and spacious in there. :)

Although it does look like it could be quite drafty on the balcony at night.

You're lucky if they were just in the shop. I saw no end in jeans and t-shirts (and crocs!) in the bars on formal nights on the Oceana. One bloke looked really smug watching the people walk by... as if he was better for not wearing black tie. :rolleyes:

As you say the balcony was a tad windy sometimes. Totally open.sometimes the breeze was welcome, and sometimes it wasn't.

We have done a 3 day cruise on Oceana, seemed quite casual on there.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Thank for your report we have never been on Acadia but have booked a 28 night cruise for 9 12 2018 on Acadia and have booked s4 which going on the deck plan is the cabin next to the one you were in I have not been able to find any other infor of Being on that part of ship though I had made a mistake but you have put my mind at reast thank you