Post CRUISE LINE Single Supplement/Solo Bargains HERE

CCHelp

So here we are on this new thread. I booked a TA in Oct. 2017 on NCL Getaway. Great prices for a 14 day cruise. So good that I got an inside cabin at 100% single sup. for less than a Studio. In fact, the Studio was same price for a solo as a Balcony cabin. Go figure! Why would someone book a Studio??????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems that often the transatlantics can be found at a good price. I have never done it. Wondered how the airfare would work. Do you end up paying a premium to fly to the port in the US, then return from Europe or vice versa?

One needs to purchase a one way air ticket which is half or perhaps a bit more than half the cost of a round-trip ticket. In my case I fly from Toronto to London UK visit there for a while and fly from London to Copenhagen. Cruise 'cross the pond to Miami and fly home from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It seems that often the transatlantics can be found at a good price. I have never done it. Wondered how the airfare would work. Do you end up paying a premium to fly to the port in the US, then return from Europe or vice versa?

Some cruise lines offer air options through their "captive" travel agency that are significantly less expensive than purchasing separately. I understand that NCL is not one of them, so if I were considering a transatlantic on NCL I'd use Kayak or another site like that to check airfares before buying.

Royal Caribbean/Celebrity/Azamara DO have air available through the cruiseline with excellent prices for one-way or open-jaw tickets like you'd need for a transatlantic cruise. I always check their prices vs. elsewhere when I'm doing a transatlantic on their lines, and their prices have always been way less than elsewhere. For example, for my transatlantic cruise this fall my one-way air from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome was $513.60. Kayak at the moment says the best available price for that route on the same day (that would get me there in time for the cruise) is $748. I like to fly Delta (my ticket through the RCCL air is on Delta) and to get the same flights I am booked on currently costs $3,178 according to Kayak!!

I've also heard that business-class tickets through RCCL's air are amazing bargains vs. buying elsewhere.

That said, I've read that lately airlines have lowered their prices on one-way and open-jaw tickets significantly, so it will always be worth checking other options before purchasing through the cruise line.

Edited by bottomfeeder

bottom feeder, will RCCL book airfare from a nondstination airport? Meaning, if cruise ends in Southhampton, can you book RCCL air from Copenhagen as you mentioned?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's my understanding. You can try it yourself, though, go to choiceair.com and choose the "just checking" option, forget what it's called exactly, and walk through options for a particular cruise. Also, even if you can't do it on the website, you can call them and I've been told they will do their best to accommodate.

I booked a round trip ticket for $560 compared to a one-way at over $1k from Barcelona to Miami after my transatlantic on NCL Jade in May.

I have done a round trip ticket using the first half to fly TO Europe for a fall TA back, then in the spring for a TA to Europe and a flight back. The only drawback to this is waiting until the second booking window opens to book flights for both cruises. But if you have both cruises booked and some patience, this is a great way to go.

When I cruised the Med on NCL their airfare was much more expensive then booking it myself. NCL said it is because I leave from Austin and they would be cheaper if I was leaving from a major airport. Definitely pays to shop around the airfare!

I'll be on my third southern Transatlantic in October. Those three were booked as packages. I did a northern Transatlantic in September 2015 and booked the return flight from Boston to Heathrow using my Avios. It certainly wasn't a premium price.

So here we are on this new thread. I booked a TA in Oct. 2017 on NCL Getaway. Great prices for a 14 day cruise. So good that I got an inside cabin at 100% single sup. for less than a Studio. In fact, the Studio was same price for a solo as a Balcony cabin. Go figure! Why would someone book a Studio??????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

funny cause i booked an inside guarantee originally with no perk on the same cruise. Now the studio price dropped and includes a perk so i switched. I love the studios and love how quiet they are. Everyone has their preferences right! See you on board!

The getaway and escape prices have been dropping alot for the next few sailings. If you can swing a spur of the moment trip there are some great solo deals. No solo supplement for some of the sailings. I ended up booking for sept 18 with a friend for $600 each after tax in canadian dollars. The sept 11 sailing was $700 canadian for a solo after tax inside cabin. $800 for a balcony. No perks with these though. Sept 18 sailing prices started dropping yesterday but i bet they may drop more for solos after this weekend s sailing. I have been watching the price drop pattern for the first 3 sept sailings on both ships and the solo supplements have been dropped for the first two so i expect it to drop in the next few days for sept 18

funny cause i booked an inside guarantee originally with no perk on the same cruise. Now the studio price dropped and includes a perk so i switched. I love the studios and love how quiet they are. Everyone has their preferences right! See you on board!

I agree with you about the Studios. Cosy and quiet. I'm going to be staying in one in two weeks on the Breakaway.

Just booked an inside cabin for $483 CND including taxes for Oct 10.2016 for 5 days on RCCL Empress of the Seas.

The cruise was $496 CND with 30% discount for Canadian travelers plus $137 in taxes.

I saw it on their website last night, but it was not there this morning. Went to my travel agent, and she still found it available and booked me.

I have been to all the stops before, but I have never sailed on Royal before. so since the price was good I took the cruise for the ship and cruise line.

I am a Carnival fan, but I will try anyone at-least once if they are cheap enough.

Originally Posted by camprunner:

Trying to book Grandeur of the Seas (RCI). It says it's $525 per person and listed at this price solo elsewhere. When I try to book it charges me the (much, much) higher rate listed for picking a cabin. Anyone else had an experience like this? Did they just forget to change the price on the web site?

No, they didn't forget.

RCCL has been advertising low rates (like $350 or $525 USD) on Grandeur of the Seas but when you try to book the actual cost is much higher. Like 2-3 times as much. They claim it is a glitch on the website.

Try this link: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/booking?hasSenior=N&hasFireandPolice=N&accessCabin=FALSE&cruiseType=CO&sailDate=2016-10-22&selectedCurrencyCode=USD&shipCode=GR&hasMilitary=N&packageCode=GR09Y028 and select Oct 22, 2016 and select Interior for 1 guest. You will see $350 for Guaranteed Interior but the actual price when you try to book it is $1048 USD.

This has been going on for several weeks. At this point, it can no longer be categorized as a glitch. It is a marketing strategy that appears to be working for them.

Personally, I'm boycotting RCCL until this false advertising is stopped. My money will go to a more ethical cruise line.

-- Diplomat

• Like 2

I had the same problem on 8/22 when trying to book a solo cabin on Brilliance of the Seas for 11/28/16. It said the total price (base) was $488, but when I got to the final page the price was showing as $1486.48. I tried doing a mock booking over several days and kept getting the same result. I contacted my TA, sent her screen shots of my attempts and asked her to check it out for me. For some reason, she had no problem completing the booking for me at the correct price.

Originally Posted by camprunner:

Trying to book Grandeur of the Seas (RCI). It says it's $525 per person and listed at this price solo elsewhere. When I try to book it charges me the (much, much) higher rate listed for picking a cabin. Anyone else had an experience like this? Did they just forget to change the price on the web site?

No, they didn't forget.

RCCL has been advertising low rates (like $350 or $525 USD) on Grandeur of the Seas but when you try to book the actual cost is much higher. Like 2-3 times as much. They claim it is a glitch on the website.

Try this link: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/booking?hasSenior=N&hasFireandPolice=N&accessCabin=FALSE&cruiseType=CO&sailDate=2016-10-22&selectedCurrencyCode=USD&shipCode=GR&hasMilitary=N&packageCode=GR09Y028 and select Oct 22, 2016 and select Interior for 1 guest. You will see $350 for Guaranteed Interior but the actual price when you try to book it is $1048 USD.

This has been going on for several weeks. At this point, it can no longer be categorized as a glitch. It is a marketing strategy that appears to be working for them.

Personally, I'm boycotting RCCL until this false advertising is stopped. My money will go to a more ethical cruise line.

-- Diplomat

What I'm seeing when I click on your link is the lower pricing is for the Inside Guarantee which comes up as the lowest price with the default of two guests. When you change to one guest, the guarantee is no longer an option which is why the prices appear to rise.

Not offering guarantee rates to solos is consistent with RCI's marketing. You can try calling or having your TA call to see if they will allow you to book it solo. I wish they would allow us to book guarantees. I don't see it as false advertising, though.

As an aside, $357 in port fees and taxes--wow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by JoyMouse

Not offering guarantee rates to solos is consistent with RCI's marketing. You can try calling or having your TA call to see if they will allow you to book it solo. I wish they would allow us to book guarantees.

I have done this several times and have never been told no. You just have to call and it gets done.

What I'm seeing when I click on your link is the lower pricing is for the Inside Guarantee which comes up as the lowest price with the default of two guests. When you change to one guest, the guarantee is no longer an option which is why the prices appear to rise.

Not offering guarantee rates to solos is consistent with RCI's marketing. You can try calling or having your TA call to see if they will allow you to book it solo. I wish they would allow us to book guarantees. I don't see it as false advertising, though.

As an aside, $357 in port fees and taxes--wow!

It is interesting that Carnival's taxes and fees are so much lower that RCCL but that's a different topic.

If you select two guests, the Inside Guarantee is $574 pp. That's $1148 for two.

When you select one guest, it is $350 pp.

When you take the next step, it changes from $350 pp to $1048.75 pp.

That is 3 times the price offered.

I've called twice and they (and their supervisor) have refused both times.

You cannot get $350 pp whether you book one or two guests. And you never could.

After having not been fixed for so long, it is intentional false advertising.

-- Diplomat

• Like 2