I want to Take Cokes on Board...transfer ?s

txwriter

We are currently booked to take the Princess coach transfer from Eagan Center. I’d like to take the train, and I know I can book directly.

So, my question is about transporting sodas o drink on board. We currently drink Coke Zero/ Cherry Zero. And it’s my understanding that Princess only offers Diet Coke.

We are planning on taking 4 bags, and it looks like that’s our max to take (not planning on stuffing them all full until return when we may have souvenirs and don’t have to pay baggage overage charges).

I don’t really want to put Cokes in bag with clothes due to potential spillage. But I’m open to suggestions from those who have successfully taken sodas onboard.

Would we be able to buy some in Whittier? I know it’s not as prevalent as Diet Coke, so I wasn’t sure if available there or not.

Or would it be easier to take aboard coach transportation? Is there a baggage limit on coach?

I’m not looking for which type of transportation is better— just best way to get bubbly caffeine fix onboard. Thanks!

Jamie

Not sure about ship policy, I'll let other's comment on that.

You'll find Coke Zero in most, if not all grocery stores in Anchorage. I've found Coke Zero Cherry in some of the Fred Meyer's (part of the Kroger chain), but not all.

I would get the soda in Anchorage. Whittier is incredibly limited in what they have for groceries.

And yes, Diet Coke is mule spit. Coke Zero is so much better. And they just very recently begin to offer Zero Cherry here in Alaska.

Not sure about ship policy, I'll let other's comment on that.

You'll find Coke Zero in most, if not all grocery stores in Anchorage. I've found Coke Zero Cherry in some of the Fred Meyer's (part of the Kroger chain), but not all.

I would get the soda in Anchorage. Whittier is incredibly limited in what they have for groceries.

And yes, Diet Coke is mule spit. Coke Zero is so much better. And they just very recently begin to offer Zero Cherry here in Alaska.

Well, since we are in Anchorage for a bit before boarding, I was definitely planning on getting cokes there. Trying to figure out how to get them to ship is my current dilemma.

I thought regular Zero would be easier to find, but I will keep my eyes peeled for the cherry ones.

I read that Diet Coke was formulated off of the disaster known as New Coke. The diet version stayed, but the new version of Coke went back to its classic formula. Coke Zero has been formulated from that classic formula as well which is why it tastes more like Coke and Diet Coke tastes nothing like it. I don’t know if it tastes like mule spit, and I’m not up to a taste test to find out.;)

I don't know the particulars of what Princess will or will not let you bring on board. I doubt there's a luggage count limit so long as it's not many, many bags. On our cruise out of Vancouver BC two seasons ago I wanted some diet Mt Dew and Coke Zero so I bought a 12-pack of each at the regular supermarket right across the street from our pre-cruise hotel. I had brought a small duffle bag for extra items I might buy to bring home so I used it for the Cokes and Mt Dews. It was big enough for both 12-packs and had handles. When we pulled up in our hired car it was just another bag the porters put on the trolley - I had put a name/cabin tag on the duffle. When we got to our cabin there was our soda. No problem.

AND! The newly updated Coke "ZERO SUGAR" is WAY better than before, there's no comparison between it and Diet Coke (yuck). It tastes the most like the regular version of any diet drink I've tried. But Diet Mt Dew is still my #1 choice. ;p I bought the new version of Coke Zero "Sugar" in Alaska this past summer...I didn't notice there being Cherry or Vanilla versions...

I don't know the particulars of what Princess will or will not let you bring on board. I doubt there's a luggage count limit so long as it's not many, many bags. On our cruise out of Vancouver BC two seasons ago I wanted some diet Mt Dew and Coke Zero so I bought a 12-pack of each at the regular supermarket right across the street from our pre-cruise hotel. I had brought a small duffle bag for extra items I might buy to bring home so I used it for the Cokes and Mt Dews. It was big enough for both 12-packs and had handles. When we pulled up in our hired car it was just another bag the porters put on the trolley - I had put a name/cabin tag on the duffle. When we got to our cabin there was our soda. No problem.

AND! The newly updated Coke "ZERO SUGAR" is WAY better than before, there's no comparison between it and Diet Coke (yuck). It tastes the most like the regular version of any diet drink I've tried. But Diet Mt Dew is still my #1 choice. ;p I bought the new version of Coke Zero "Sugar" in Alaska this past summer...I didn't notice there being Cherry or Vanilla versions...

I like your plan, but my problem is getting to the ship in Whittier is a bit trickier than taking a car from the hotel to the ship like you did in YVR.

Okay, in case anyone else is interested in this question, I just talked to the Alaska Railroad who seemed to be the only people with any answers.

On the railroad, there is a 2 checked bags per person plus one carryon plus one purse. IF I were traveling with a man, I suppose his "purse" could be my Cokes. Since we are two women, and we already have the max amount of luggage, they will let me pay $20 for an extra checked bag. Considering the fact that the cruiseline charges over $50 each for the unlimited soda package, and that doesn't include my particular drink of choice, it is not that bad though it is obviously not that great.

It seems if we take the bus, it is more flexible. So, now we must decide if we want to try to put Cokes in our allowable checked bags, pay extra for another bag (which presumably could just be a couple of 12 packs taped together with a bag tag on them), or take the bus.

Every since I started planning this trip, it seems that every decision I need to make has more variables than I'd prefer. I like it better when I get an eye exam and they say, "Is this one better, or this one?" And to be honest, I don't always like those either since sometimes both choices stink.

ACK!

Would still appreciate feedback.

Okay, in case anyone else is interested in this question, I just talked to the Alaska Railroad who seemed to be the only people with any answers.

On the railroad, there is a 2 checked bags per person plus one carryon plus one purse. IF I were traveling with a man, I suppose his "purse" could be my Cokes. Since we are two women, and we already have the max amount of luggage, they will let me pay $20 for an extra checked bag. Considering the fact that the cruiseline charges over $50 each for the unlimited soda package, and that doesn't include my particular drink of choice, it is not that bad though it is obviously not that great.

It seems if we take the bus, it is more flexible. So, now we must decide if we want to try to put Cokes in our allowable checked bags, pay extra for another bag (which presumably could just be a couple of 12 packs taped together with a bag tag on them), or take the bus.

Every since I started planning this trip, it seems that every decision I need to make has more variables than I'd prefer. I like it better when I get an eye exam and they say, "Is this one better, or this one?" And to be honest, I don't always like those either since sometimes both choices stink.

ACK!

Using my duffle idea, couldn't you put your purse inside the duffle too? Making it one bag instead of two??? :D The duffle I used was one that zips up into itself to make something about the same size as a thick magazine. It was WAY big enough for two 12-packs of pop - unless you have a *LARGE* purse it could fit in there too. Only, it might be a bit heavy... You could do that with two duffles and each lady would have her purse and a 12-pack of pop inside. :) Unless Alaska Rail Road limits the size of your carry on bags like the an airline. I travel in Japan on the Bullet Trains quite a bit and they absolutely don't give two hoots what you bring on... At the entrance to the cars they have luggage areas to leave your big stuff (nobody seems to mess with your bags) and you take your smaller items to your seat and put them either overhead or under the seat.

First, Princess doesn't really care how many soft drinks you bring on board. Second, as a Mountain Dew addict myself, my solution is to buy a dozen or so 20oz bottles and bring them onboard scattered through your luggage. I have never had any problems with leakage. They only need to last you until Skagway on Day 3. After that, it's Juneau and Ketchikan. All three places will have Coke Zero and probably Cherry Coke available in the coolers at the back of the gift stores just by the pier. Then you just need to stock up to get you through Day 6. Coke products are readily available once you get to Vancouver.

• 1 month later...

ACK!

I am with you txwriter. I have been searching on here Whittier grocery stores to get some pop to carry on for boarding. We have same dilemma getting pop (soda) in Anchorage. We too are taking the Alaska railroad to Whittier but then taking a glacier cruise before we board the ship. I suppose we could lug along a rolling back with 2 cases of pop if they allow it on the glacier boat. It's so much easier when embarking and not doing something ahead of time. Never cruised Princess but I know Carnival you are not allowed to pack soda in your checked luggage. But sounds like other may have done this. If there is room might be the best option. Looking for anyone who may have just checked it. Thanks.

I think what we decided to do was finagle our luggage so that everything was temporarily in checked luggage except medical necessities then put cokes in our carry ons... still pondering this one.

I have a completely, totally off the wall suggestion. And I don’t know if it will work. But here it goes. Amazon now (to get the Coke Zero/cherry zero) delivered to an Amazon locker near the port? May be more expensive, but “easier”. That assumes that Amazon now is in Alaska as are Amazon lockers. And that Amazon now can go to an Amazon locker (or directly to one of you standing on a corner). Crazy? Yes. But it might work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk