American Airlines gave our seat assignments away

endless travel

We purchased airline tickets in October 2017 to Miami for our cruise this month. We made seat choices at the time of purchase. I was checking our flights today as we begin travel in a few days and my husband no longer has his seat assignment on our return flight home. There has not been a change in aircraft type and my seat assignment is still listed. I am trying to contact AA now. Anyone have this happen before?

That is strange if there was no aircraft change.

Are you on the same reservation #? If so, that is more strange that they changed one person on a reservation and not the other (or others).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just finished with American Airlinres and am beyond upset. They could provide no explanation for a "seat fix" that they made March 1st. The only suggestions they offered were to take a chance on a seat becoming available, downgrade to a main cabin seat or move to a flight departing 2 hours and twenty minutes later. We were on the same reservation when purchased last October. In my opinion they oversold the flight and either deliberately or randomly chose to take away one of our seats. This is unacceptable. I will be sending letters to Customer Relations and AA Corporate office seeking an explanation and apology. Planning ahead did absolutely no good because of the way the airline chooses to operate.

Just finished with American Airlinres and am beyond upset. They could provide no explanation for a "seat fix" that they made March 1st. The only suggestions they offered were to take a chance on a seat becoming available, downgrade to a main cabin seat or move to a flight departing 2 hours and twenty minutes later. We were on the same reservation when purchased last October. In my opinion they oversold the flight and either deliberately or randomly chose to take away one of our seats. This is unacceptable. I will be sending letters to Customer Relations and AA Corporate office seeking an explanation and apology. Planning ahead did absolutely no good because of the way the airline chooses to operate.

You were in fc and they gave the seat away? How awful!

I had that happen after I checked in for my flight one time with AA...fc also. Didn't find out till I tried to board. I stood my group, politely and they moved the passenger from my seat.

Do you have your confirmation documents when you made reservations?? If the seats are listed and you have physical written confirmation...I would not back down. Make sure you reference and forward during/after your conversation

Continuing....You made reservations (confirmed) 5 months ago..... No reason to be bumped. Assuming you do not want to depart 2 1/2 hours later.... and they do not or are unable to find your husband a seat..... I would demand full refund for the seating differences and a "inconvience" AA future flight voucher for some amount...(maybe a free upgrade to First Class) and assurances both of you would be seated together (get an exit row for stretching out). They moved your husband...they can move someone else to accomodate this minor request. Good Luck

Yes I have confirmation documents but it will not do me any good at this point since we leave in a few days. AA will not respond before we leave. I am overnighting a letter of complaint with documentation tomorrow. We will try to get seats on our original flight through the standby process since we will be spending hours at the airport before our changed flight leaves. Yes, we could have downgraded to main cabin but planned this vacation as a special treat in order to relieve some stress. Thanks for letting me rant.

I would be curious if there is an airline employee in his seat now. They probably wouldn’t tell you.

Or a politician...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are looking for suggestions or people who have had this happen (it's pretty common) you should go to the American Airlines board on flyertalk.

Did you pay for two F seats and they took one seat assignment away and now the cabin is full? Sometimes air marshals can cause issues with F seat assignments but I am surprised they bumped a paid pax. It wouldn't be an employee or politician.

Also, if you are unhappy with how an agent is helping hang up and call back. You would be surprised how many agents have no idea what they are doing even on the "special" high status numbers. If they sill can't help then ask for a supervisor. As a last resort use use twitter to contact them. It sounds crazy but it works.

Last edit...was your flight time or aircraft type changed? There was mention of a major schedule change going through last night. If this did affect you and you get a competent agent on the phone they should at least be able to put you on another flight with no change fees.

Edited by fastpitchdad
Realized OP wasn't an EXP...bunch of other stuff.

We were going on a family cruise in Sept 2016. AA did the same thing to us. DW’s seat disappeared as did both sets of BIL and SILs. When I called they gave me the run around. DW,MIL one BIL and I were on one flight - none of us seating even remotely close to each other and they put other BIL and SIL on another flight 2 hrs later. Problem was that all of the in laws live around 2 hrs away and road to the airport together so once we arrived they had to wait for the others. DW and I even offered to take the later flight so they could all leave together but AA wouldn’t even do that. Haven’t flown AA since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We purchased airline tickets in October 2017 to Miami for our cruise this month. We made seat choices at the time of purchase. I was checking our flights today as we begin travel in a few days and my husband no longer has his seat assignment on our return flight home. There has not been a change in aircraft type and my seat assignment is still listed. I am trying to contact AA now. Anyone have this happen before?

What flight is this?

Yup-had the exact same thing happen on my flight back from my POA cruise in January. All 4 of my family’s seat assignments that we had since June disappeared a few days before we left. I was on the phone immediately and was told that I should have gone on the web to pick my seats and there was nothing they could do for me. I insisted on speaking with a supervisor. After being placed on hold, the person came back and was suddenly very apologetic for having upset me and said they would fix it right away. After being placed on hold 2 more times, they did get me 4 seats together. You should call back and insist on speaking to a supervisor. I will go out of my way to NOT fly AA. This is the second time they have caused me heartburn over my vacation!

I would be curious if there is an airline employee in his seat now. They probably wouldn’t tell you.

I happen to be a parent of two retired AA employees, one was a VP. What AA just did to the OP is totally unacceptable and I would be furious. that being said, absolutely NO, they would not, for any reason put an employee is a passengers assigned seat.

Equipment changes on Delta have scrambled seating assignments for my family on two different occasions. Our issue is when they do so without concern for the age of the travelers. We've had our 2 yr old and our 5 yr old reassigned to seats in totally different rows from their parents. Luckily, I caught the change early and was able to fix the problem. I now go into their website every week and check for changes....

Yes I have confirmation documents but it will not do me any good at this point since we leave in a few days. AA will not respond before we leave. I am overnighting a letter of complaint with documentation tomorrow. We will try to get seats on our original flight through the standby process since we will be spending hours at the airport before our changed flight leaves. Yes, we could have downgraded to main cabin but planned this vacation as a special treat in order to relieve some stress. Thanks for letting me rant.

Do you know for sure that they have bumped you from the flight or have you just lost your assigned seat?

I second the advise to go to flyertalk.com for assistance.

AA flight 275 from MIA to LAX March 23. Purchased two refundable first class seats October 2017. No change in equipment.

You should call back and insist on speaking to a supervisor. At they very least they should rebook you on another flight of your choosing and give you some compensation.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

One time when checking my flights I saw that AA or Delta (forget which) changed our seat assignments. It looked like there was no equipment change but they had changed the flight number (going by memory here). I was able to go online and switch around our seats to our original ones. Now if there are no more seats in first class and one of you is now in the main cabin they should give you an explanation or at the very least give you compensation for being in main cabin vs. refundable first class.

I had my fc seat taken away by AA because of a change in planes. They didn't follow policy and chose me because I was flying solo and even though they knew the aircraft had change hours before we were going to board, they notified me minutes before we were going to board. At the airport, they gave me a voucher for my inconvenience. When I got home, I sent an email and they responded in two days with refund for the difference between the fc ticket and coach seat and miles added to my account to apologize.

On an upcoming flight, my seat changed and when I called, they said when there is any change (it was the time on this flight), the seat assignment can change.

First...why is this in the NCL section? This has NOTHING to do with NCL it is an AA issue. This should be in the "cruise air" section of this message board. There you will find many folks with knowledge of how stuff like this works. Of course, be warned, like flyer talk, you might not get the answer you want to hear.

Second...you say there was not an equipment change....there very well could have been. AA flies about 3 different versions of the 777. One has 52 biz seats, one has 45 and the other has 37. Only 1 has a FC section, the others are biz class. Thus if you did actually book FC there might not actually be a FC anymore.. The reality is, there probably WAS an equipment change from one version of the 777 to another.

You have almost 3 weeks, plenty of time to get this resolved with AA before you travel. Relax, ranting on a cruise massage board will solve nothing, call AA. You are in paid biz (refundable at that) so they are not going to bump (move) you for no reason.

Edited by TruckerDave