connecting flights if booked separately?

Unibok

Newish-bie here, please be kind.

For my upcoming cruise, I took advantage of a low-priced RT cruise air from JFK to San Juan. I then booked myself from Vermont to JFK RT. All flights are on Delta.

On the way there, I am spending the night near JFK, so it makes no difference that the flights aren't linked in any way. On the way home, however, I will fly from SJU to JFK to BTV. Here is my question: is there a way to connect those 2 flights so that my baggage will move from one to the next? I have a 3-hour layover, so if I need to pick up my luggage and recheck it I have time. However, JFK is a miserable horrible airport, and I would vastly prefer not to do that.

Does anyone have experience with this, or know if there are policies forbidding the linking of flights that weren't booked together?

With thanks in advance for your gentle guidance,

As long as both tickets are for Delta-operated flights, they should through-check your bags.

Here's the horse's mouth - https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/mx/en/news/policy-update-archive/2016/january-2016/delta-confirms-through-check-baggage-policy--.html

Be sure you show the second ticket details to the Delta rep at SJU.

as Gardyloo says it should be not problem as you are on Delta all the way. (If it was Delta and American, for example, that is a whole different issue). Just let the agent in SJU know when you check in and they should tag it all the way through with no issues.

You can also call Delta before you leave and see if they can link the reservations ahead of time. I have never done this, but (I'm sure there will be someone who says different :rolleyes:) I can't imagine that they couldn't link them as it is all the same airline.

• 2 weeks later...

Just following up with a post-trip report. Thank you again for your guidance.

On the leg out, I asked the Delta agent if she could facilitate the connection. Like you, she said to request it on the way home from San Juan. However, she said I would have to go through customs at JFK anyway, so why bother. Ummm, I informed her that San Juan is in the US, so I would not need to go through customs at JFK. She learned something new.

In San Juan, it was no problem to check my luggage all the way through to BTV. They could not, however, issue a boarding pass for the second leg, and I would need to obtain that once at JFK. Okay, no problem. When I arrived at JFK, the agent informed me that Delta does not fly to Vermont. I assured her that they do, that I had flown in on such a flight, and that Delta has at least 4 gates at our airport. She looked it up, printed out my boarding pass, and sent me on my way. She, too, learned something new.

All in all, quite hassle-free with just a few minor hiccups from the airline agents. At the end of the day, I landed safely at the right place, as did my luggage.

When I arrived at JFK, the agent informed me that Delta does not fly to Vermont. I assured her that they do, that I had flown in on such a flight, and that Delta has at least 4 gates at our airport. She looked it up, printed out my boarding pass, and sent me on my way. She, too, learned something new.

Not all agents are versed in what cities are in what states. You were particularly ambiguous/obtuse by saying "I want to check my luggage to Vermont" rather than saying "I would like to check in to my flight to Burlington."

I would never approach a gate agent and say "I want to check into my flight to Louisiana"

Not all agents are versed in what cities are in what states. You were particularly ambiguous/obtuse by saying "I want to check my luggage to Vermont" rather than saying "I would like to check in to my flight to Burlington."

I would never approach a gate agent and say "I want to check into my flight to Louisiana"

Dear nolatravelgirl,

Thank you for your gracious response. I asked the gate agent where to find the flight to BTV because it was not listed on the screen. She asked me where BTV was. I said Vermont. She said they don't fly to Vermont. I was not, in fact, obtuse.

Like you, I also would never approach a gate agent and say I wanted to check my luggage to a particular state. And I didn't. In fact, at the point in my story I was describing, my luggage had been checked through to BTV, but I still needed a boarding pass. The gate agent certainly seemed like the appropriate person to ask for a boarding pass.

That's all. I hope your day gets better.