Butlers, another overused term

Jacqueline

The term used to mean something, now every cabin steward on many, many lines is referred to by this term.

I was at an average camp on safari and we had a “butler”. What a marketing coup, for people who don’t know any better. They were so proud of their butler in their TripAdvisor reviews.

I had a cabin stewardess on our last cruise (HL) and she was there in a flash, brought dinner by the course, and did anything else I asked her. My butler on the QM2 was a joke.

Our buyer on the QM2 was also weak. Our butler on Silversea was average. Many years ago Princess tried butlers out for suites and we happened to be on and he was weak and they abandoned that program.

On Crystal Cruises only Suites have butlers and the butlers are the best we have ever had. Very well trained and perform the functions admirably.

Many were butlers on land working at high end hotels and/or for high level clientele.

Keith

Every butler I've had was not much more than a glorified room service delivery person. They really don't do much more, but require a big daily tip.

General statements are often wrong.

Have you sailed all cruise lines?

Butlers on some cruise lines do indeed perform butler functions and help to make the sailing special. Now this does ont apply to all lines which is why I said some.

Keith

General statements are often wrong. Have you sailed all cruise lines? Butlers on some cruise lines do indeed perform butler functions and help to make the sailing special. Now this does ont apply to all lines which is why I said some.

Wasn't making a general statement.....go back and read it - I didn't say "all butlers on all cruiselines" did I? I said "Every butler I'VE HAD"....I was sharing my experience just like many other posters do. I didn't make any comment about butlers I haven't had.

Wasn't making a general statement.....go back and read it - I didn't say "all butlers on all cruiselines" did I? I said "Every butler I'VE HAD"....I was sharing my experience just like many other posters do. I didn't make any comment about butlers I haven't had.

Got it. Thank you. My mistake. I read your post too quickly. Not enough coffee. ;p

The best Butlers we have had are on Crystal Cruises and Celebrity (in the 1990's and 2006). We do appreciate the services that these butlers perform. Like most things we all know what works for us and for my wife and myself we do make use of some of the services they provide and feel that they add to our overall experience.

Some lines it is clearly not much more then a room steward.

Keith

In Regency England by convention all menservants were called Charles or James by their masters. We travelled on Regent ships twice, and both times our Butler was called Ryan, even though both were from the Phillipines . In both cases “Ryan” was very nice, but about as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

Every day he’d bring us canapés and snacks at 5pm, and every day we would not be able to eat them, because we knew they would spoil our appetite for dinner. No matter how many times we told Ryan this, he’d still bring them. He told us he had to do it so that it would all look properly posh.

I often wondered whether he and the other hotel staff were being fed gruel and maggoty biscuits down in the crew mess, so they enjoyed sharing our canapés between them, when we inevitably signalled that we would rather just guzzle on the very good Coonawarra red wine he put on the shelf everyday.