2019 Greek Isles Itinerary

Stockjock

Well, I guess someone has to be the first one to post a question here, so it might as well be me.

I sailed on Horizon in 2015, when it was CDF (but still owned by Pullmantur). We did a great 7 day itinerary out of St. Martin for some ridiculously low price like $250 or so (oceanview).

The ship was tired, but the food was good, the drinks free, the itinerary excellent and different and despite some issues (aircon and such) mostly had a good time.

Now, we're considering a 2019 Greek Isles cruise on Horizon. But instead of being $250, it's closer to $650 per person (again, oceanview). Great time of the year, very good itinerary, like the fact drinks are included, but seems a bit pricey for a ship that's pushing 30 years old and hasn't been refurbished in awhile.

What are your thoughts? Does that seem like a fair price for this itinerary and drinks at a favorable time of the year? Or is it pricey and maybe a better idea to pay up and go with a ship that isn't so dated?

Well, I guess someone has to be the first one to post a question here, so it might as well be me.

I sailed on Horizon in 2015, when it was CDF (but still owned by Pullmantur). We did a great 7 day itinerary out of St. Martin for some ridiculously low price like $250 or so (oceanview).

The ship was tired, but the food was good, the drinks free, the itinerary excellent and different and despite some issues (aircon and such) mostly had a good time.

Now, we're considering a 2019 Greek Isles cruise on Horizon. But instead of being $250, it's closer to $650 per person (again, oceanview). Great time of the year, very good itinerary, like the fact drinks are included, but seems a bit pricey for a ship that's pushing 30 years old and hasn't been refurbished in awhile.

What are your thoughts? Does that seem like a fair price for this itinerary and drinks at a favorable time of the year? Or is it pricey and maybe a better idea to pay up and go with a ship that isn't so dated?

If you go to the Other Cruiselines Boards, you will find a review of the Horizon that is recent. I think that is a great price!

We too have been looking at Pullmantur cruises, and have seen mixed reviews with some people having an unreasonably, in my view, downer on them. I have never sailed with them, so can't say from personal experience.

What I can say is, we have sailed, over the past 14 or so years, with Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Norwegian and Costa. When we first started cruising, we were departing from US ports in Florida, and buying in the US market. Prices were reasonable to even being what I would consider cheap. When we changed to buying, and departing in the European market, they were noticeably more expensive.

Over the years, prices have certainly gone up, and many cruise lines are looking for any which way to extract extra money on top of the basic price. Cruising has become very popular, but at the same time costs for them, as with anyone else, have gone up.

As far as the price of $650 for an outside cabin, good time of year, and greek itinerary, I think this is a good price, all things considered, or let's say good value for money. A greek islands itinerary is fantastic, packed with wonderful places to see. I have to admit to being biased though since I love Greece, and Italy for their wonderful people, and all the historical sites they have.

As far as pricing goes, we started sailing with Costa in the immediate aftermath of the sinking of the Concordia, and they were practically giving their cruises away. Now of course, they have rebuilt their reputation somewhat, and prices have followed accordingly. I think the same has happened with Pullmantur. They seem to have had some serious problems in the past, as well as being pushed from pillar to post relating to ownership. It appears that they may be learning from their past mistakes, and improving their offering. I hope so since we will be sailing with them in October!!

I am going to reserve judgement, as I always do, until I have actually experienced what any travel company has to offer. We are planning to spend $800 pp ish for a cruise in October to spain and italy, and feel that with drinks included, as well as gratuities, this represents value for money, compared with the prices being asked on other cruise lines. I know that Pullmantur runs older ships, with slightly suspect decor and furnishings, but as long as the cabin is clean and comfortable, the food is good, the staff are nice, polite and efficient, and the itinerary suits me, then I am happy.

As far as the age of the ship goes, well there's no better girl than a good old girl. We all know that things were built to last in the good old days!! I will make sure to do a very comprehensive review of our cruise, even though there is quite a while to wait for it.