Bringing wine on board

Shaver John

We are headed to Copenhagen in September and normally have an All you can drink package, but on this trip we gave it up for the new price. We will purchase a couple of bottles of wine in Copenhagen, if price is reasonable but wondered if we can bring on wine in the other ports? Do they keep the wine you purchase in visited ports or let you bring it on to your stateroom? Any experience you will share will be greatly appreciated. Also, any good wine shops in Copenhagen. We are staying at the Raddison Blu downtown for a couple of days before sailing so have time to purchase, so if you know of a reasonable place to purchase that would be perfect. Thanks in advance.

Go to the port specific page for Copenhagen where you will find a local to answer the question about where to buy wine locally. We will also be buying wine there as we will be spending six nights before cruising in June. Not sure about the other ports but if Princess runs true to form based on other cruises with them, they will take it and keep it until night before debarkation.

My understanding is that you must pay $15 corkage and can enjoy it with dinner if you buy it in port.

The first two 750 ml bottles are no charge if you bring them on at the start of the cruise and drink them in your stateroom.

My understanding is that you must pay $15 corkage and can enjoy it with dinner if you buy it in port.

The first two 750 ml bottles are no charge if you bring them on at the start of the cruise and drink them in your stateroom.

We brought a case on last year on the Regal.

And yes, first 2 N/C and subsequent bottles @ $15.

BTW people were bemused that you could bring on any wine on the ship. I was asked many questions by fellow passengers during check in about the protocol for wine.

Last year on a Panama Canal round trip from Los Angeles we brought a case of wine on board. This is our home port so we used the card board dividers from a case of wine to separate the wine in a Land's End canvas tote--a perfect fit. When we boarded we expected to pay our corkage at the ship's entrance--but there wasn't anyone around to collect it. (Yes, we did get a lot of questions and funny looks from fellow passengers as we made our way to our cabin with all that wine.} We ended up paying corkage on the entire case as we brought bottles to dinner.

There's no charge if you carry the wine to dinner in a glass. We always grabbed 2 water glasses in the Horizon each night (much larger) for the next evening.

You can always buy extra bottles at distant ports with no $15 charge.

Not sure if this has changed, but in the past we brought 2 bottles (one each) on without corkage in every port where we found good wine. We could not bring the bottle to dinner without paying, but what we would do is do a healthy pore in our room and bring it to dinner that way. We also would buy a few bottles at dinner, so that help grease the skids.

We had also brought 2 bottles on at the beginning.

Not sure if this has changed, but in the past we brought 2 bottles (one each) on without corkage in every port where we found good wine. We could not bring the bottle to dinner without paying, but what we would do is do a healthy pore in our room and bring it to dinner that way. We also would buy a few bottles at dinner, so that help grease the skids.We had also brought 2 bottles on at the beginning.

Yes, the policy has changed. We haven't been able to bring more than one bottle of wine on board per person per voyage for free for quite some time now, and that has to be at the embarkation port. You can bring all you want though, then and at intermediate ports, but it costs you $15.00 per bottle, which can be consumed at any venue or in your cabin. HAL charges $18.00. Here are the current Princess booze rules----

"Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: It's not allowed. It will be confiscated and discarded.

Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Two-part rule: Each passenger of drinking age can bring one bottle of wine or Champagne (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the cabin. When brought to restaurants, a $15 corkage fee applies. Bringing additional wine or Champagne bottles aboard is allowed, but each bottle will incur a $15 corkage fee, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

Purchasing liquor in port: It will be retained until the end of the cruise.

Purchasing liquor in ships' duty-free shop: It will be retained until the end of the cruise."

Yes, the policy has changed. We haven't been able to bring more than one bottle of wine on board per person per voyage for free for quite some time now, and that has to be at the embarkation port. You can bring all you want though, then and at intermediate ports, but it costs you $15.00 per bottle, which can be consumed at any venue or in your cabin. HAL charges $18.00. Here are the current Princess booze rules----

"Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: It's not allowed. It will be confiscated and discarded.

Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Two-part rule: Each passenger of drinking age can bring one bottle of wine or Champagne (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the cabin. When brought to restaurants, a $15 corkage fee applies. Bringing additional wine or Champagne bottles aboard is allowed, but each bottle will incur a $15 corkage fee, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

Purchasing liquor in port: It will be retained until the end of the cruise.

Purchasing liquor in ships' duty-free shop: It will be retained until the end of the cruise."

Thanks for the update. We have brought wine on board to bring home and turned it over to held until debarkation with no corkage fee similar to liquor bought in port.

It really varies if the policy is followed or not.. lots of accounts both ways.

19 day Christmas cruise brought 4 bottles. Drank in the cabin, no charges.

The one bottle per person should be for a one week cruise.. but doing a 4 week cruise soon.. should be able to bring one bottle per week , IMHO🤪😎

It really varies if the policy is followed or not.. lots of accounts both ways.

19 day Christmas cruise brought 4 bottles. Drank in the cabin, no charges.

The one bottle per person should be for a one week cruise.. but doing a 4 week cruise soon.. should be able to bring one bottle per week , IMHO🤪😎

We have a 6 1/2 week cruise at the end of the year. With free Grats and $1000 OBC, we might be able to afford a bit of wine, but would like to bring a few extra for the room on board. We have a stop in Juneau where we did not plan to do anything but walk the town. May try and find a market and bring a bottle back. If we can get past the wine police I may make that trip a few more times!;p Until my feet hurt!:eek:

The one bottle per person should be for a one week cruise.. but doing a 4 week cruise soon.. should be able to bring one bottle per week , IMHO

I agree, that is the way it should be, if I were King for a day of Princess Cruise Lines. Unfortunately, just got off over a three week cruise on them. As far as one free per week---Not. 10 months before that we were on a four week cruise with them, however, even though we were booked as one cruise it was also divided into two segments. Nice thing about Princess, even though you didn't book a B2B, they still give you segment benefits, hence, another allotment of free Internet time, another free mini-bar setup, and another bottle of free wine for the second segment.

As far as them looking the other way in overseas ports when you bring on wine, and not charging, they do it all the time. Got many stories where we did so, not only with wine but spirits which are a complete no/no. Just don't complain if you don't get away with it.

I agree, that is the way it should be, if I were King for a day of Princess Cruise Lines. Unfortunately, just got off over a three week cruise on them. As far as one free per week---Not. 10 months before that we were on a four week cruise with them, however, even though we were booked as one cruise it was also divided into two segments. Nice thing about Princess, even though you didn't book a B2B, they still give you segment benefits, hence, another allotment of free Internet time, another free mini-bar setup, and another bottle of free wine for the second segment.

As far as them looking the other way in overseas ports when you bring on wine, and not charging, they do it all the time. Got many stories where we did so, not only with wine but spirits which are a complete no/no. Just don't complain if you don't get away with it.

Never have tried spirits, but with wine, we have brought it on many times. However, coming back from a wine tour in Uruguay, they did take all but one. Got those back the morning before debarkation. We did pick up a bottle here and there and bring them back on over the 31 days.

+1

On many cruises - as recently as last November - I've never had issues bringing a couple bottles of wine at ports of call for the cabin. Of course would expect to pay corkage if taken to a dining room. I've also carried on a case of wine and paid corkage at embarkation which I will likely do for the upcoming 28 dayer.

We have a 6 1/2 week cruise at the end of the year. With free Grats and $1000 OBC, we might be able to afford a bit of wine, but would like to bring a few extra for the room on board. We have a stop in Juneau where we did not plan to do anything but walk the town. May try and find a market and bring a bottle back. If we can get past the wine police I may make that trip a few more times!;p Until my feet hurt!:eek:

I assume that 6 1/2 week cruise is composed of more than one segment. In other words, a B2B or B2B2B, etc.

If that is the case, each adult can bring on one bottle for each segment and can do it at the start of the cruise. Just bring proof that you will be on for the multiple segments. If any problem when checking-in, ask to speak with a supervisor. There will be no corkage fees unless you bring a bottle to a dining room.

Do not expect to find any wine bargains in Juneau.

I assume that 6 1/2 week cruise is composed of more than one segment. In other words, a B2B or B2B2B, etc.

If that is the case, each adult can bring on one bottle for each segment and can do it at the start of the cruise. Just bring proof that you will be on for the multiple segments. If any problem when checking-in, ask to speak with a supervisor. There will be no corkage fees unless you bring a bottle to a dining room.

Do not expect to find any wine bargains in Juneau.

It is two segments. Planned on bringing 4. Juneau was more tongue in cheek. If we can get to the costco, maybe there will be some reasonable wine, but doubt we can get out there.

There was a time not that many years ago when you could bring on as much wine as you wanted on Princess! Heres a tip for those on back to back cruises on our last B to B we became friends with a couple just taking the first half so we had them buy two bottles of liquor which was delivered to them on the last day and we had it for the second half of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even since their wine policy became more restrictive, we have brought a couple of bottles from many ports of call.

We are prepared to pay the $15/bottle fee but have never been charged the fee. Most of our wine we bring to the dining room so whether we’re charged the fee sooner, or later, we pay the fee & we’re thankful that Princess allows us to bring more than one bottle per adult passenger.

If planning to take wine home purchased in ports & they are going to charge the fee, they will store it for free & return it on the last evening.

There was a time not that many years ago when you could bring on as much wine as you wanted on Princess! Heres a tip for those on back to back cruises on our last B to B we became friends with a couple just taking the first half so we had them buy two bottles of liquor which was delivered to them on the last day and we had it for the second half of the cruise.

That's the best & safest was since Princess is getting wise to ordering liquor on the first leg of a B2B.

Most times it's just as easy to carry it past the liquor check in desk when returning to the ship at a post.

There was a time not that many years ago when you could bring on as much wine as you wanted on Princess! Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Haw, so true, used to be no limit. I remember back in 2008 we were embarking on HAL for an almost three month cruise, circumnavigating Africa (Ever tried to find water, let alone wine, at most African ports?). I had heard they were restricting wine being brought on board, so I didn't bring any. Which turned out to be a false rumor. As we were standing in the embarkation line a porter came by with two full cases on a cart for one of the cabins.

Haw, so true, used to be no limit. I remember back in 2008 we were embarking on HAL for an almost three month cruise, circumnavigating Africa (Ever tried to find water, let alone wine, at most African ports?). I had heard they were restricting wine being brought on board, so I didn't bring any. Which turned out to be a false rumor. As we were standing in the embarkation line a porter came by with two full cases on a cart for one of the cabins.

In 2009 a couple who had been on our wine tour in Sydney, brought two cases aboard the Star on at the start of a cruise back to LA.

So does it work when you get on board? Do you take the bottles to your dining room and have them store it for you?
You take your wine to your cabin. You then bring a bottle to the DR. If you don’t finish a bottle on the first day they will store the partial bottle. If you have paid corkage on a bottle there is no additional corkage when you bring to the DR. If you bring one of the first bottles per person corkage free to the DR you will be charged corkage. If consumed in your cabin there is no charge.

You take your wine to your cabin. You then bring a bottle to the DR. If you don’t finish a bottle on the first day they will store the partial bottle. If you have paid corkage on a bottle there is no additional corkage when you bring to the DR. If you bring one of the first bottles per person corkage free to the DR you will be charged corkage. If consumed in your cabin there is no charge.

Nor is there any charge if you carry it by the glass or even take the bottle to the Horizon to drink.

It seems as though the DR is the only place that assess a corkage charge fee.