AQ, Port of Pittsburgh

shipgeeks

We are looking forward to seeing your river cruises come through the Emsworth Locks, just outside of Pittsburgh, on July 15 (inbound and outbound).

We live in Pittsburgh, and would be happy to try to answer any questions you might have about this port.

Where will you be staying? Have you been to Pittsburgh before?

IMO, one of the best things to do here is to take an incline to the top of Mt. Washington, the hill that runs beside the Monongahela and Ohio Rivers, for a view of the city and surrounding areas.

Further afield, there is Fallingwater, and several other Frank Lloyd Wright houses for which tours can be booked.

The PA Trolley Museum has a number of vintage streetcars.

Gateway Clipper has river tours.

If you might be interested in a Pirate baseball game, symphony concert, play, etc. I can check on dates.

• 2 months later...

We are travelling on American Queen leaving Louisville on July 9 and arriving in Pittsburgh on Monday July 16, 2018 at 8AM. We need to get from the dock to Irwin. Any suggestions best way to line up that transportation from the American Queen dock?

• 2 weeks later...

We have family we are visiting in Irwin before the trip. We are from rural area of Eastern Pennsylvania. We are renting a car in Irwin to drive to Lousville before the trip. Then get on American Queen and cruise up Ohio River to Pittsburgh. We just have to get from Pittsburgh dock back to Irwin. Landing: North Shore, Riverfront Park 375 North Shore Drive, Pittsburgh PA. We're not familiar with using Uber but it seems that would less expensive than a taxi. We're in early 70's and each have 2 suitcases so we don't want to be walking much from the landing area. We're not too familiar with driving in Pittsburgh. Is Uber the best way to go?

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Uber, but it see plenty of Uber and Lyft vehicles around town, so I know they are here. The dock is very central, so they would have no trouble finding you. Alternately, could you prevail upon the Irwin people to pick you up?

Cookielady, and others boarding on July 15, what time is your departure? We are looking forward to seeing you go through the first river locks, located about 6 miles downstream from the dock. It's a bit like the Panama Canal in miniature.If you have any influence with the calliope player, please ask him/her to play while you are in the lock. That used to be a tradition here, with locals being drawn to the viewing area to watch. Then they stopped. It was fun; kind of like being in the movie "Showboat".It should be a wonderful voyage. Foliage along the rivers is thriving.

We leave Pittsburgh at 5 PM - or at least that's what's on the schedule. I have no idea how long it will take to get to your spot on the shore at the locks. I'll certainly try to pass along your suggestion to play the calliope to the powers that be. Will look for you waving from the shore!

Thank you! Interesting....the brochures say 15th. I'm so glad you corrected that. This is the only Pittsburgh visit, and we do enjoy seeing the transit. The Emsworth Lock and Dam is about an hour from departure, and then takes about half an hour to go through. I will wave, for sure!

to clarify - The cruise includes one night pre-cruise in Pittsburgh at the Renaissance Hotel...so the brochure is correct in that the vacation begins on July 15 in Pittsburgh but the actual embarkation is on Monday, July 16th. I'll try to wave to you

Thank you; I realized that might be the case.

Nice hotel location, overlooking the Allegheny River. You will be able to see the AQ when she arrives, if not from your room, then you can walk out to the bridge just across the street for a nice view.

It was a very nice start to the voyage on Monday evening. We, and nearly 100 other Ben Avonites, were at the Emsworth Lock and Dam to see her go through. The adjacent Log House was opened for the evening. Lots of smiles and waves between the passengers, crew, and locals. The only disappointment was the lack of a calliope concert.

Cookielady, was that you in the turquoise top?