Blue Lagoon - Ship Excursion or Not?

macdon9876

We'll be on Seaside in August, and we're trying to figure out what to do in Nassau.

Last year we took the water taxi to Atlantis to walk around, and then went to Cabbage Beach for a while. We wouldn't return to Cabbage Beach.

We're torn between a resort like Melia, and one of the islands, specifically Blue Lagoon (although I think we're leaning towards Blue Lagoon).

We'll be travelling with our two boys, 9 and 7. They love the water, and the water activity zone at Blue Lagoon would be straight up their alley! One of them would also like the animal encounter, but the other wouldn't have anything to do with it! We're thinking a beach day with the toys would suit them just fine.

So, my question specifically about Blue Lagoon and Seaside:

Is it possible, or advisable, to do Blue Lagoon on our own (i.e. not a ship excursion)? I understand that we'd need to find our own way to the ferry dock on Atlantis Island.

We aren't opposed to taking a ship excursion, but currently MSC offers only two options for Blue Lagoon: an adults-only VIP experience, and a sea lion encounter that would end up costing $460 versus $228 if we just book the beach day. That's a lot of extra cash to spend for a few minutes up close and personal with a sea lion! :p

We have no problem with off-ship excursions - that is what we have done on our three past cruises. However, in this case I'm curious if it's advisable to do it independently. For instance, do the ferries run all day so we could leave in time to comfortably get back to the ship? Departure is at 4pm on our cruise.

Thanks for any advice!

A lot of views, no comments. I'll throw in my $0.02, though we haven't done Seaside yet.

Travelling on Seaside in June to Nassau and I noticed Blue Lagoon and Balmoral offering similar type activities with review sites each having a favorite of the two. In researching Blue Lagoon I noticed that they suggest they might be limited in who they can allow to visit because of contractual obligations with certain cruise lines.

I took this to mean that they are contractually obligated to provide a certain amount of spots for specific excursions and private tours would be put second in line behind these.

Now keep in mind, this was when we were looking at the offered Dolphin swim at Balmoral vs. doing our own somewhere else. On Blue Lagoons web site for the dolphin swim they suggest if you are from a cruise line that you have to call if you aren't booking through DCL, CCL, NCL or RCL.

So, my suggestion would be to give Blue Lagoon a call and see if they can accomodate on your date. It also looked like Seaside had more options on Balmoral, including a beach day without the added expenses of the encounters. I'd guess they have a better deal with Balmoral, which is why they offer more there.

This won’t help much because I don’t have MSC experience. But....did Blue lagoon on a NCL cruise 2 years ago and it was absolutely amazing!! I could have moved there!!! Beautiful water, shallow lagoon, and plenty to do! Sad that MSC doesn’t offer a beach day there without a pricey encounter. We may have to try Balmoral in May.

Thanks for your replies!

Blue Lagoon sounds like the best of the three and it tops our list because of the water activity area for our kids (slides and water trampoline, etc.) - the other two don't seem to have that, although Balmoral does seem to have nice beach areas. I think Balmoral would be our second choice. The concern we have with Pearl Island is that it seems quite small.

I'll try contacting them directly to see what they have to say. Perhaps MSC will eventually offer a beach day to Blue Lagoon - it is still early, I realize. We've had several winter storms lately so I've been dreaming of our summer Caribbean getaway!

Thanks for your replies!

Blue Lagoon sounds like the best of the three and it tops our list because of the water activity area for our kids (slides and water trampoline, etc.) - the other two don't seem to have that, although Balmoral does seem to have nice beach areas. I think Balmoral would be our second choice. The concern we have with Pearl Island is that it seems quite small.

I'll try contacting them directly to see what they have to say. Perhaps MSC will eventually offer a beach day to Blue Lagoon - it is still early, I realize. We've had several winter storms lately so I've been dreaming of our summer Caribbean getaway!

Seriously blue lagoons water park area looked like SO much fun!! We were without kids on our last trip so I didn’t try it. Wish I would have bc I would have enjoyed it!!! Come back and let us know what MSC says please!!!

Come back and let us know what MSC says please!!!

Absolutely! I'll try contacting Blue Lagoon by phone in the next few days (I emailed earlier in the week but no reply). I've also put a bug in my travel agent's ear asking whether MSC ever adds excursions by request. I'm doubtful but who knows.