How can DH buy drink package for one? I don't drink.

LUVINMYHUBS

We are new to cruising, having gone on our first cruise last month, and we are totally hooked!! Why would you do anything else for vacation? :) We paid a down payment on a future cruise on day 3 on board, and have booked 2 more already! My question is this: How do we get around the policy most ships seem to have regarding drink packages? I don't drink, and DH enjoys beer, so he bought it as he went, which even for a light drinker ends up being quite pricey. It seems unfair to punish him for my not drinking. There must be some way around this, right? I mean, what if your traveling companion was your child? We are booked with RC for Christmas, and NCL in Feb. '19.

You need to ask this on the boards here for each of those cruise lines. RC will be under Cruise Lines P-Z, NCL is under Cruise Lines A-O. You also need to weigh the cost per day with how many beers it would take to spend that much. Youmight find it doesn't same that much, especially as there are days you will be off the ship andndrinking elsewhere. EM

Well, with NCL, by far your best deal if you are interested in the drink package is to do the ‘free at sea’ and have it included in your booking. If you aren’t already booked with that check and see if it’s possible to book under free at sea (though imagine you already are). You will get the drink package also but at least you’ll only be paying the service charge on two drink packages instead of purchasing two drink packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the traveling companion were a child, it would be a moot point since only those over 21 must purchase a package. On RCI, you can call to purchase and explain that the other person doesn’t drink. They will, however, need to purchase the Refreshment package.

It varies by cruise line. Have you verified that the cost of his individual beers is more than the cost of the package?

So lines offer things like a bucket of beer where you pay for 4 beers and get a fifth on at no additional charge.

My question is this: How do we get around the policy most ships seem to have regarding drink packages?

Sadly, the policy exists because a significant number of people have tried to cheat. One of the couple buys the drink package, and tries to sneak their drinks to the spouse. That's the reason your husband is "punished". It's totally understandable from a business analysis standpoint.

Most cruise lines have exemptions from the rules but you would need to call them and state your case. Alternatively with Royal, you could buy one alcohol package and one non-alcohol package and that will satisfy the requirements.

1. Your husband could find a new younger (under 21) wife.

2. Your husband could leave you at home and cruise by himself.

3. You could book a cruise that includes drinks in the fare.

You could book separate cabins. EM

We are new to cruising, having gone on our first cruise last month, and we are totally hooked!! Why would you do anything else for vacation? :) We paid a down payment on a future cruise on day 3 on board, and have booked 2 more already! My question is this: How do we get around the policy most ships seem to have regarding drink packages? I don't drink, and DH enjoys beer, so he bought it as he went, which even for a light drinker ends up being quite pricey. It seems unfair to punish him for my not drinking. There must be some way around this, right? I mean, what if your traveling companion was your child? We are booked with RC for Christmas, and NCL in Feb. '19.

Welcome to cruising, we love it too!

I'm not familiar with RC policy, but thought NCL usually offered the drinks package as one of their included perks (passenger pays gratuities on package price). We recently sailed Carnival where if anyone in the cabin gets Cheers all in the cabin over 21 must get it. Regardless of the line you sail, they are all in the business of providing you a service at a profit to them/their shareholders.

Alcohol packages can seem like good deals, but usually the passenger spends more for drinks over the entire cruise than they would if they paid individually. The appeal is in having a known cost up front rather than an unknown bill at the end and the freedom to try new drinks without worrying about the cost.

You are correct that even for a light drinker the cost of drinks on a cruise ship can be pricy versus ordering at home. At home he can probably get a 6 pack for close to the cost of one bar drink, or if having the drink out (a more accurate comparison) would probably have at most two beers rather than 5-10 over the course of a day on board where the Captain is driving and the whole day is vacation.

We are moderate drinkers (combination of beer/cider and mixed drinks) and drank more on our cruise than we do at home, but still never spent more than $100/day for the two of us for drinks, including tips. Again, much higher than a bar bill at home but significantly less than Cheers - especially when you factor port days.

There is nothing wrong with a package, but it is not always the "cheaper" way to go and the line isn't punishing you if you don't get it - they will still sell the beer. Just make sure you are looking at the whole picture.

Have fun on your next cruises whatever you decide!

Also remember that if you get a drinks package as a free perk some lines (like NCL) will charge you for the 18% service charge if you are from the US.

That service charge is included in the cost when purchasing the package. It isn't included in the advertised cost, but it will be added when making the original purchase.

Alcohol packages can seem like good deals, but usually the passenger spends more for drinks over the entire cruise than they would if they paid individually. The appeal is in having a known cost up front rather than an unknown bill at the end and the freedom to try new drinks without worrying about the cost.

You are correct that even for a light drinker the cost of drinks on a cruise ship can be pricy versus ordering at home. At home he can probably get a 6 pack for close to the cost of one bar drink, or if having the drink out (a more accurate comparison) would probably have at most two beers rather than 5-10 over the course of a day on board where the Captain is driving and the whole day is vacation.

When comparing drinks at lounges and bars in most US cities that are similarly "up-scale" to what can be found on cruise ships, the cost of drinks in cruise ship lounges and bars is quite competitive. Of course, at not-so-glamorous lounges and bars at home the prices are probably cheaper. But, considering that many of these lounges and bars are pretty basic, and sometimes seedy, it's no surprise that cruise ship prices will be more than at those types of places. And sometimes local lounges and bars can be more expensive. I know some restaurants in my town where the drinks are significantly more expensive than comparable drinks on most cruise lines.

I don't see the prices out of line on cruise ships, especially compared to what one might pay at any nice land based resort or hotel.

NCL and Celebrity offer promotions with bookings, one of which is the beverage package. Both people in the cabin will receive the package but its cheaper than purchasing one outright.

On Celebrity, if the beverage package is chosen as one of the included perks, then both passengers must select that perk; but if you instead purchase the beverage package, either one or both may make the purchase.

That service charge is included in the cost when purchasing the package. It isn't included in the advertised cost, but it will be added when making the original purchase.

Indeed, but it generally means its not as free as first thought with NCL's (and others) all inclusive deals.

I have read some people on here cancelling it as the cost of the 18% would be more than they would drink.