Cruising with small children and LGBT group travel

Seahawkie

We booked the Nov 24th (post Thanksgiving) cruise on Celebrity Equinox several months ago, but just found out today that this cruise is part of the Pied Piper travel group for LGBT. We get along with anyone, however, we'll be travelling with 3 children. If anyone has travelled on similar cruise, can you please share your experience with us? We have kids range from 7-13 years old, and I'm curious if this would be an appropriate environment for them. Please don't take this question the wrong way, this is a first cruise for us and I want it to be a good experience for everyone. Thanks in advance.

the PDAs are no worse than between a straight couple. the drunks are not more obnoxious because they are gay. the outfits might be a little.. out there( and its bloody annoying when some guy in drag looks better than you do on Formal night) but newsflash: they are people too. and usually a helluva lot of fun to be around, as long as you are not a prude.

Love is love. it cares not for the narrow definition that 'society' dictates.

at that age, the kids are probably just starting to get into the whole 'sexuality' thing anyway. adolescence is hormonal and they will be massively aware of their bodies. this is a teaching moment where you can ( hopefully without bias or prejudice) explain the many ways the human species connects with each other.

We were booked on a cruise for a while, then found out there was a similar group booked. I looked into the group and saw that it could be very sizable, and had booked various venues throughout the cruise for their events. It's not that we are snobs either, but I would rather opt for a quieter cruise with all venues available throughout the cruise. To each their own, I say.

I don't care what kind if group it is. However, if the group is large enough, they can take over part of the ship for private functions. Looking at their webpage, for this cruise, they discuss several private functions, including a costume theme party, private beach party, nightly cocktail parties, singles mixers, etc.

This would make me change to a different cruise.

Edited by 6rugrats

Matters not to me what sort of large group is on a cruise I am considering, I have been 'in -commoded' in the past on a cruise where a large group took over and those of us not a part of the group felt we were in the way and lost use of some venues. Doesn't matter the description of the group's joint interests. Never again, if I have advance knowledge.

I don't care what kind if group it is. However, if the group is large enough, they can take over part of the ship for private functions. Looking at their webpage, for this cruise, they discuss several private functions, including a costume theme party, private beach party, nightly cocktail parties, singles mixers, etc.

This would make me change to a different cruise.

That's why we changed cruise dates ---Didn't matter what kind of group, just the size of the group as stated for above reasons.

Just cancelled a cruise when I Googled the sailing and learned it was being marketed as an NFL team fan cruise.

Called the group booking agent ... sizable group with many events that would make various venues off limits to everyone else for whatever timeframe.

ANY group can alter everyone else's experience onboard. Think loss of use of pool, theater, open deck, even dining.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

They aren't a "swingers" group! You probably won't notice much difference from any other cruise!

Did you bother to read ANY of the PPs about how the size of the group could impact accessibility to multiple areas on the ship?

Did you bother to read ANY of the PPs about how the size of the group could impact accessibility to multiple areas on the ship?

:halo::')

CB doesn't read any previous posts or even come back to post that he/she has posted in.

He/she just reads a thread title then hits and runs. The post that he/she makes may even be filled with invalid information.

You gotta kinda just shake your head at their posts and move on.

Now to my thoughts.

The fact that the OP posted that it is an LGBT group cruise is irrelevant. The fact that it is a large group cruise IS relevant.

I was going to say that the group type has no foundation on the deciding factor but I would be less than honest if I believed that.

There are hate groups that I wouldn't want to be on the ship with or my children around.

Edited by klfrodo

We were on a cruise once, when a group, I'm not even sure if it was a family reunion, pretty large, had to be 150 -200, we wanted to go to the theater for the show, sure enough there was a few of the group holding an entire section for their members...that nixed that show for the night.

:halo::')

CB doesn't read any previous posts or even come back to post that he/she has posted in.

He/she just reads a thread title then hits and runs. The post that he/she makes may even be filled with invalid information.

You gotta kinda just shake your head at their posts and move on.

Now to my thoughts.

The fact that the OP posted that it is an LGBT group cruise is irrelevant. The fact that it is a large group cruise IS relevant.

I was going to say that the group type has no foundation on the deciding factor but I would be less than honest if I believed that.

There are hate groups that I wouldn't want to be on the ship with or my children around.

Hate Groups???????

Your biggest issue will be if the group is a large number rather than the community in this case.

As cruisers have said, sometimes larger groups have venues reserved for them and all sorts but the community themselves should not affect anything. They may be the friendliest bunch you could cruise with...who knows?

It may be worth 'tracking the group down' via a theme cruise finder or an actual website/fb group if they have one and looking at the size of the group and what activities they are discussing and if any venues will be closed off.

Then you can see and make an informed decision.

Hate Groups???????

Precisely. Not sure why some people have to bring political correctness into every discussion they come across. OP, it's your cruise and your money. If you feel uncomfortable or have reservation, switch to another cruise.

Obviously I offended a couple of people here when I honestly stated that I wouldn't want my children around Hate Groups.

Since they're not smart enough to distinguish what a hate group is, I'll expand further by saying LGBT is NOT a hate group. KKK, White Nationalist, Anti-LGBT,and Neo-**** are examples of hate groups.

Precisely. Not sure why some people have to bring political correctness into every discussion they come across. OP, it's your cruise and your money. If you feel uncomfortable or have reservation, switch to another cruise.

OP, you know what is best for your family. You will do what you think will be the best cruise for your family. Hope you have a wondeful cruise.

There was a pied piper group on one of the cruises we did, approximately 30-40 people but that was small compared to the Mexicans and the Colombians we once had that were 300 strong and nothing compared to the TA group in Jan 17 that had approx 80 who took over the martini bar. A university group was a few hundred strong and they had rooms booked for events. It was only a problem if you let it be.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Obviously I offended a couple of people here when I honestly stated that I wouldn't want my children around Hate Groups.

Since they're not smart enough to distinguish what a hate group is, I'll expand further by saying LGBT is NOT a hate group. KKK, White Nationalist, Anti-LGBT,and Neo-**** are examples of hate groups.

Never seen a hate group on a cruise ship, I was curious as to why it was even mentioned.

To the OP....disregard any unwelcome comments....IN my opinion, this cruise is not one you want as your first. This would not give you the "cruise experience" as it should be. Groups have a tendency to overtake venues that you need to explore and enjoy. I would suggest cancelling and rebooking something else.

There was a pied piper group on one of the cruises we did, approximately 30-40 people ....
This cruise week is Pied Piper's biggest of the year. There will be a lot more than 30-40 people. As to what number would impact your enjoyment of this cruise, it depends on what you like to do. We have had groups of 200 or so that did not really impact our enjoyment of our cruise. In one case, it was Cookie Lee consultants plus some of their husbands. (Cookie Lee was a home-show jewelry company that's no longer in business.) I noticed they had a party in one of the lounges one afternoon. On another cruise, an organ company had a conference room with samples. They had lots of their customers on that cruise, but once again, they did not impact our enjoyment.

Thank to all of you who shared your cruise experiences. I honestly did not mean to stir up any debates or being insensitive, I found out it was a group sponsored by LGBT and thus stated as such. I don't know how large the group is, however, with kids being as young as 7 my concern is she may be too young to understand and ask questions I'm not ready to answer yet :) Plus what other cruisers mentioned about large groups can take over venues, I never thought of that so thank you for the insight. I have until August to cancel the cruise so I'll look at other possible dates and itenerary, the only thing is we just booked airplane tickets last week so I have to look into that as well. Thank you again.

Last year we sailed on Freedom Of The Seas, on that cruise there was 1500 Asians (tourists, not Asians living in the U.S). It didn't affect our cruise in a big way. Sure sometimes they moved around in large groups and they had some venues booked. Best of all was that not many of them used the pools = more space for us ;p.

They had booked excursions in every port so that didn't affect us at all.

P.S I have nothing against Asians, one of my old girlfriends is Asian.