Would you consider living on a cruise ship?

goldengirl123

Does anyone know about how many people actually live on a cruise ship full time or at least most of the year?

My husband and I are considering this and was wondering how many others are actually doing it?

Would you consider it yourself?

Edited by goldengirl123
error

Would you consider it yourself?

Absolutely not. 12 days is about my limit with the crowds, cruise food and routine. I would be miserable living onboard. That's just me though. Nothing against those who do.

There was a woman who brought her own furniture and lived on the QEII for many years.

I know of a couple of people presently living on Princess ships.

HAL had 1 woman who died recently and lived on the ships for quite a number of years. There is still another woman who lives on HAL ships -- she is presently doing another World Cruise.

Would we want to do live on a ship -- no -- we have too many health problems.

Absolutely not. 12 days is about my limit with the crowds, cruise food and routine. I would be miserable living onboard. That's just me though. Nothing against those who do.

I'm with Aquahound on this one. Cruise ships make for nice short vacations but anything longer than a couple of weeks with the crowds, the food and the routine would drive me nuts. Of course, if the cruise line let me bring Abbott and Costello with me (my emotional support aardvark and cobra) I might be able to cope better. :D

The saying “It’s a nice place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there” comes to mind for me. I could see doing several cruises per year, but not living full time on a traditional cruise ship.

If I had the money to pay for it, I definitely would consider this though:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/passport/2017/05/19/this-cruise-ship-is-now-a-floating-luxury-condo-the-top-bistros-in-paris-and-more/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JT1962

There is a ship World, where people buy condos.

Very expensive, but residents get to vote on itineraries.

I don't want to do this. I want to be exited about my cruises and not to turn it into routine. We figured out that 5 cruises 7-12 days a year spread out throughout the year is enough to keep us exited.

I would consider getting a condo on the world; because it travels the world and I think it would be much more liveable than a cruise ship. Short of that, only a cruise ship that travels the world doing several month itineraries.

There’s no way I would live on a ship that sails 7 to 14 day itineraries out of Florida. Way too much repetition in ports, activities, food. Plus, I get tired of cruise ship food after a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just just think about it: you will probably be well along in years, you will likely start having health problems as you age further. Unless you have a "Plan B", for some long term land based residence after you get tired of cruising (as virtually everybody would); you are running the risk of being put off the ship at such time, and port, as the line/ship's doctor decides you should not remain on board. Unless you are on a ship shuttling between Miami and the Bahamas, you run the risk of being put ashore at some third world port when you are old and ill.

Not for me. If you lived on the ship you would have no next cruise to look forward too. Had a friend who loved golf so he played every day after retirement, it got old quick so he backed off. Everything in moderation.

I think the only financially reasonable way to do it would be if you had no land home at all, because that entails a lot of costs; without any land home, I can see that the cost would be comparable to a retirement residence. Personally, I think I would miss cooking; I don't cook fancy foods, but I like taking part in the preparation of the food I'm eating. But if I ever change my mind on that, I certainly could see living on a cruise ship, with hotels in the intervening days.

I have met some of the people discussed on this thread, and heard their reasons for doing so. I used to think that I would like to do that some day, but I have recently changed my mind about it....

First of all, you don't really have friends, unless there are other's on board doing the same thing. The crew gets to know you well, but that is a different type of relationship....they are always your 'employees'. Meeting new people every cruise is nice, but that gets old after a while, as does just about everything else on the ship. And yes, it all becomes just routine, and gone is the anticipation, planning, and excitement of going on a cruise.

The World condo ship would be nice, but it is much more expensive than living on normal cruise ships. And if I did have the funds to afford that, I think I would prefer to have my own private yacht, and go where and when I wished, not just what the owner's committee voted for....

I also enjoy being on land, and driving on motor trips...

So for me now in my semi-retirement, I think I will stick with going on three to five cruises per year....that will keep me more than satisfied.