norway cruise - clothes

sijay

this will be my first cruise to a cold place can anyone advise what to pack both for casual dining and sea days?? thank you so much :)

It depends on what time of year, if in winter then you need “ski” stuff if in summer then layers so you can take off at will. It has been short sleeve weather in the artic circle in summer when we were there once! Other times it has been jumpers!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

hi its the middle of march about this time next year xx

thanks i thought probably ski jackets etc for outside but not sure indoors

If indoors you mean inside the ship then wear what you would normally wear on a cruise. Up on deck will be windy so wrap up warm but nothing over the top just normal decent winter clothing. The inside of the ship will be nice and toasty so no worries on that score.

On port visits make sure you have rainwear just in case but other than that normal winter clothes especially layers. I normally wear what I wear in the uk but I always have a nice warm wool hat. First time we went Stavanger in April it was quite warm and sunny but a year later it was minus 16 with the wind chill. Now that was cold but my normal winter clothes dealt with it.

Good question. How warm is it inside the ship? Is a t-shirt enough or is a cardigan needed?

My wife takes a cardigan but tends to carry it unless she's sat under one of the air con units. She then drapes it over her shoulders. The interior of the ship will be pleasantly warm in my experience which is limited as I've only cruised twice but that's soon to be three times:D

It depends on what time of year, if in winter then you need “ski” stuff if in summer then layers so you can take off at will. It has been short sleeve weather in the artic circle in summer when we were there once! Other times it has been jumpers!

thank you this is helpful x

If indoors you mean inside the ship then wear what you would normally wear on a cruise. Up on deck will be windy so wrap up warm but nothing over the top just normal decent winter clothing. The inside of the ship will be nice and toasty so no worries on that score.

On port visits make sure you have rainwear just in case but other than that normal winter clothes especially layers. I normally wear what I wear in the uk but I always have a nice warm wool hat. First time we went Stavanger in April it was quite warm and sunny but a year later it was minus 16 with the wind chill. Now that was cold but my normal winter clothes dealt with it.

thank you - yep sorry inside the ship- that's helpful - what did you wear for the casual dining night??

thank you - yep sorry inside the ship- that's helpful - what did you wear for the casual dining night??

I wear smart trousers, normal shirt and I prefer to wear a jacket but that's just me. Jackets are no longer required on casual evenings. Formal evenings I wear the normal formal wear.

My wife on casual evenings wears a smart pretty dress and normally carries a cardigan. On formal evenings either a long dress with a bolero or a cocktail dress.

No matter where you are, the Baltic or the Caribbean, the temperatures in bars and restaurants should be the same, providing the air conditioning does pack up as it did on our cruise last year. So don’t worry about evening wear

Hello,

I have just (yesterday) returned from northern Norway (Tromso & Alta).

Daytime on board I wore shorts and a polo shirt, evenings I wore long trousers and a proper open-necked shirt. I needed a coat and hat when I ventured onto my balcony.

For excursions I had thermal socks, gloves (inner and outer), hat, long johns, thermal vest, 'lumberjack' shirt and a windproof jacket. All this was necessary especially on late night excursions and the Husky sledding, but we got back to Stavanger then it was too much and I felt like a walking sauna.

Regards,

Cublet

hi its the middle of march about this time next year xx

thanks i thought probably ski jackets etc for outside but not sure indoors

Take normal lounge wear for around the ship and evening dining. We recently returned from a sub zero Northern Lights cruise on Oriana and the norm was to wear smart attire in the public areas and wrap up in artic clothing for the outside. We did need an extra suitcase for the cold weather clothing.

Just finished Northern Lights on Aurora. The main problem that I had with the cold was my hands. I was trying to take photos of the lights with my iPhone and used thin gloves that could operate the touchscreen, but could only manage for 10 minutes at a time. We had some gel hand warmers (from Go Outdoors) that were excellent. Also a hat is essential.

We did a northern lights cruise last year and took ski gear for outdoors and inside I wore jumpers and trousers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

thank you so much all these posts are so helpful:)

My wife takes a cardigan but tends to carry it unless she's sat under one of the air con units. She then drapes it over her shoulders. The interior of the ship will be pleasantly warm in my experience which is limited as I've only cruised twice but that's soon to be three times:D

thank you so much- enjoy your cruise :)

I was planning on layers cos you never know do you :cool::ship:

Just finished Northern Lights on Aurora. The main problem that I had with the cold was my hands. I was trying to take photos of the lights with my iPhone and used thin gloves that could operate the touchscreen, but could only manage for 10 minutes at a time. We had some gel hand warmers (from Go Outdoors) that were excellent. Also a hat is essential.

I go walking so got hand warmers and hat and scarf so nearly there:D

As suggested by Sharon, here are my tips as given to Fred Olsen passengers last March!

It is much better to wear a number of thin layers than just a few thick ones. The air trapped in between thin layers warms to your body’s temperature and acts as valuable insulation.

Make sure your clothes fit well and that some of your layers are of differing sizes so that you can still move comfortably….have a trial run before you go.

If you are travelling in a heated coach for an hour, you don’t want all your clothes on…but how easy will it be to add the final layers, in a coach in the dark?

In cold conditions, it’s better to wear wool, silk or synthetic polypropylene next to your skin.

Avoid cotton: if you sweat (as well you might dressed like this on a heated coach), cotton gets cold and clammy, and doesn’t dry out easily.

On top of your base layer, you’ll need to wear at least two or three additional layers, which should be made of fleece or wool.

Remember this applies to your legs too – its easy to add layers to our top halves but legs are not so simple

Once dressed….ladies should say to their husbands “Does my bum look big in this?” if he says no – which of course you have trained him to do – then maybe you don’t have enough clothes on!!!!

It’s a good idea to wear two pairs of gloves – one thick pair of mitts (mitts that don’t separate the fingers keep your hands warmer) and a thin pair of gloves underneath that allow you the use of your fingers when you need to do something fiddly, like make camera adjustments

You’ll need proper winter boots with good grip for walking on snow and ice…. And socks of wool…..not cotton

Take a woollen or fleece hat which covers the ears, as well as something to cover mouth, nose and cheeks. Noses and cheeks are especially prone to frostbite, and should be kept covered whenever possible – skin can freeze in minutes in very cold weather.

If you do need the toilet – remember that you are wearing multiple layers and it could take some time!! Remember the advice your mother used to give you – go before you leave!!

You don’t want to spend too long standing in a queue whilst a dozen ladies before you take 10 minutes each to do what is needed.

Hazel