Ketchican - can we do it all??

Sakamae

We are finally going on my dream vacation in a few months - the cruise to Alaska!! When we are in Ketchican, we want to do the snorkeling excursion, which is in the morning. 2/3 of my family really want to also go see the totem poles and learn about them but that is also in the morning. Is it possible to either find our way to the totem pole area and kind of do a self tour or find an independent tour company to do the tour for us in the early afternoon so we can do both but not miss boarding the ship?

Thanks for any help you can give me - I'm trying to keep everyone happy! :rolleyes:

ANY of the 'totem pole areas' can be visited independently. If it's actually a genuine desire to learn about them, hands-down go to the heritage centre - you can speak to staff who really know the history, methodology etc. and it's easily walked to (while there's a free shuttle bus around town, it's sometimes so busy you can't get on - certainly not with a group of people - unless you get lucky and the right number of folks get off at the same stop!)

Hi - sorry for the lack of information in my original post! First, we will be in Ketchican from 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM. The snorkeling excursion is at 9:00 and is apx. 3 hours long. I believe the interest in the totem poles is more about the history of them and how they are made. We are not all going to be doing the same excursions all the time. It just happens that we all want to go snorkeling. I am not going to be going to see the totem poles. In the other ports we are all doing different things most of the time.

Again, thanks for the information you have already provided and thanks for any more that comes my way!

We’re in Ketchikan for the same hours. Are you on the Jewel too?

We’re going to do a 2 hour private guided excursion out to Bight/Potluch Park (sp?) to learn about the totems there. From what I understand it’s a ~20-30 minute drive to get to that park. I guess if you didn’t change you could try to find a private tour go directly 12:30-2:30 and have an hour at the park.

Any chance of doing snorkeling earlier to have more time?

If you're independent-minded, there are public buses to Totem Bight and Saxman, and the museum (totems) in town can be reached fairly easily by walking. I suppose you could take cabs as well. Of course, make sure you allow plenty of time to get back to the ship. borough.ketchikan.ak.us/works/145/Transit is the bus website, with schedules.

Are you familiar with Tom's Port Guides? They're free to download, and there's one on Ketchikan which should give you a lot of good info. Go to tomsportguides.com and look for the Port Guides tab. There's lots to do in Ketchikan, although I haven't seen snorkeling listed as one that is popular, but I know some people do kayaking. Ketchikan is also a good "DIY" port.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

We’re in Ketchikan for the same hours. Are you on the Jewel too?

We’re going to do a 2 hour private guided excursion out to Bight/Potluch Park (sp?) to learn about the totems there. From what I understand it’s a ~20-30 minute drive to get to that park. I guess if you didn’t change you could try to find a private tour go directly 12:30-2:30 and have an hour at the park.

Any chance of doing snorkeling earlier to have more time?

Ok, my take- this is a costly option that sounds a lot more desirable than it is. :) (it sounds like you have not done this yet?)

Anyway- there are very details guide sheets available that offers a superb self guided option. You can also take a look- and see the information on Totem Bight- which is a highlight in my opinion. the totem reference above is at the bottom of the page. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm

Of course Potlatch- you do know it is a gift shop??? They have a nice "museum" set up that is informative, and I always take people out back to the Carving shed, even if they aren't working- it's worth a look. It's usually open during business hour, but, even when it hasn't been- I go back and take a look in the windows- :)

With time management- It's a 2 hour time investment, but better with 3, going the cheap way- with city bus. :)

Hi - sorry for the lack of information in my original post! First, we will be in Ketchican from 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM. The snorkeling excursion is at 9:00 and is apx. 3 hours long. I believe the interest in the totem poles is more about the history of them and how they are made. We are not all going to be doing the same excursions all the time. It just happens that we all want to go snorkeling. I am not going to be going to see the totem poles. In the other ports we are all doing different things most of the time.

Again, thanks for the information you have already provided and thanks for any more that comes my way!

I suggest, your group take a look- online at the various options, of Totem Bight, Totem Heritage Center and Saxman Village, and determine their priority. ALL of these are simple to go without "tours" (frankly an unnecessary costly option in my opinion) Totem Heritage Museum, can simply be walked to- as example.. Yes you have time to add an afternoon touring option.

Ok, my take- this is a costly option that sounds a lot more desirable than it is. :) (it sounds like you have not done this yet?)

Anyway- there are very details guide sheets available that offers a superb self guided option. You can also take a look- and see the information on Totem Bight- which is a highlight in my opinion. the totem reference above is at the bottom of the page. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm

Of course Potlatch- you do know it is a gift shop??? They have a nice "museum" set up that is informative, and I always take people out back to the Carving shed, even if they aren't working- it's worth a look. It's usually open during business hour, but, even when it hasn't been- I go back and take a look in the windows- :)

With time management- It's a 2 hour time investment, but better with 3, going the cheap way- with city bus. :)

We have not done it yet :)

I should add on we have 2 young children who also want to see the lumberjack show which is at 10 AM. Plus I’m hoping to squeeze in a tour of the town and the salmon ladder on the guided tour. Because there are four of us it’s less money to do a private guide.

With elementary aged kids I feel like we can get a morning or afternoon of activities in and then they are done. With three back to back port days this seemed the port to do less which lended itself to a tour. I’m hoping to get off the ship after lunch and explore the town more, but we’ll see. This is all still in flux and new to me.

We have not done it yet :)

I should add on we have 2 young children who also want to see the lumberjack show which is at 10 AM. Plus I’m hoping to squeeze in a tour of the town and the salmon ladder on the guided tour. Because there are four of us it’s less money to do a private guide.

With elementary aged kids I feel like we can get a morning or afternoon of activities in and then they are done. With three back to back port days this seemed the port to do less which lended itself to a tour. I’m hoping to get off the ship after lunch and explore the town more, but we’ll see. This is all still in flux and new to me.

You do know you can simply walk to the salmon ladder? with kids, a great option is to just go on your own, rather than being herded around with restlessness being possible. I'd run those kids on the Married Man's trail and funicular combo- they'd really like both, I'd speculate. Of course there'd have to be salmon running??? There are a lot of "off" times. :)