Live Regal Princess 3/18-3/25

californiagirl

i really appreciated the live threads so I thought I would give back to the boards. Just some random thoughts.

Boarding was so-so. Not as well organized as I expected. We are platinum and boarded along with elites. Suites were given top priority.

My husband took my carryon and I hustled up to the sanctuary. I had planned on getting a cabana in the sanctuary one day and a cabana by the pool one day. They changed the sign up for the cabanas last week. The sign up for the pool cabana was to the left by the bar as I expected. But I had to wait in the sanctuary line for a sanctuary cabana. Once it was my turn and I saw there were still some chaise lounges in prime locations in the sanctuary, I chose two lounges. The lounges next to the cabanas were in the sun and shade was most important to me. Neither line was very long when I got there. When I was finished it had grown significantly. We were in the first 100 or so people onboard. All tolled it took maybe 30 minutes. I was very happy we arrived early.

Internet is very fast at times and slow other times.

We had spectacular conditions at Princess Cay today. The water was like glass, the sky was cloudless in the morning (a few puffy clouds later in the day) and the temp was around 80. Even the captain remarked how perfect the conditions were today.

I really like this ship. We are close to elite with Princess, but have never sailed on this class of ship until now. I LOVE the layout of the Horizon Court/bistro. Some much more efficient. The food in the dining room is now on par with the buffet food. We skipped the dining room tonight and had a good meal in the Horizon Court. Food is so subjective. We are finding the food fair to good.

Our steward Winston is wonderful...very attentive.

We normally book mini-suites, but chose a deluxe obstructed balcony. LOVE it!

We are surprised to see just a handful of children...mostly toddlers and preschoolers. Absolutely no spring breakers.

That’s it for now.

is the ocean medallion system still being worked/improved? i noticed all of the regal cruises from March to September is now listed as ocean medallion preview cruises. before the ones in April used to say ocean medallion vacation. I have a felling my cruise in October will not have this medallion system now :(

Did you snag one of the not-really-obstructed balconies on Deck 8?

They look awesome!

We had one booked, mid-ship, on the cruise for two weeks ago that we had to cancel. I was so looking forward to it!!!

Aside from the Medallion thing.... Any whispers at all about getting new mattresses onboard anytime soon?

I am hoping there is a slight chance that they will start doing this, and we might have a decent bed when we finally board later this year.

Enjoy!!!!!!

We are on Regal next week with all the kids (Spring break here in MD and looks like everywhere else). I have one question, where do you sign up for pool cabanas? You mentioned a bar, but I dont know which one. Have not been on Regal before, so need to know where to run.

I hope you're having a wonderful time! We were on the Regal the week before and it was our best cruise yet. You're lucky about Princess Cays. The wind picked up, along with the swells, and it took forever to unload the tenders at the ship. We ended up leaving Princess Cays late, which wasn't the worst thing that could happen :D

I'm still struggling to work after our week in paradise!

I hope you're having a wonderful time! We were on the Regal the week before and it was our best cruise yet. You're lucky about Princess Cays. The wind picked up, along with the swells, and it took forever to unload the tenders at the ship. We ended up leaving Princess Cays late, which wasn't the worst thing that could happen :D

I'm still struggling to work after our week in paradise!

Hi CC. I wonder if you or the OP can answer a question. Are the 375ml bottles of liquor available through room service? I've seen conflicting info about that on the Regal.

Jim

I’m sorry I haven’t come back! We’ve had a great cruise. Very relaxing which is what we needed. Let me answer your questions,

Liquor: we don’t drink so I have the room service menu next to me. It looks like there are 375 ml bottles of bourbon, scotch, vodka, rum and gin.

Sign-up for the cabanas: I was worried about this too. The sanctuary sign-up is on the starboard side entrance, (deck 17 all the way forward). Just past the retreat pool. The bar is just to the left of this entrance. You can not miss it since this area is small and there is no other bar. There will be a sanctuary crew member standing to the starboard side of the bar with a clipboard.

Captain, CD: the captain is Captain Stringer but the CD changed the day we embarked. The CD is Dan (I can’t remember his last name). He got in the elevator with us and introduced himself. He said he was back on the Regal after a 2 month vacation.

Yes we are on deck 8 in one of the “obstructed” deluxe balcony cabins. I’m in love with this cabin. For the money it is a gem. I’ll post the cabin number after the cruise. One major improvement in the shower is a low ledge to put your foot on to shave your legs. I used to stick my leg out and put my foot on the toilet to shave, which caused a flood on the floor. This was a factor in booking mini-suites over balcony cabins...comfort while showering. (I know that seems silly but sometimes it’s the little things that tip the scales.) For some reason the shower seems larger too. Anyway I would not hesitate booking this category again.

One other note about cabins. I know there is much discussion regarding cabins below the skywalk or whatever it’s called. Today I stopped and really tried to look into the cabins from the skywalk. All I could see were the balconies and even then I mostly just saw the legs of the people sitting on the balcony.

Lastly I posted at length on the ports of call, St Marten board regarding Orient Beach. We had a great experience there yesterday. Please see that thread if you are wondering whether or not to go to Orient Beach. Short answer: YES!

St Marten is in such worse shape than St Thomas. The damage is unbelievable. The people are so grateful for any contribution that is made to their economy.

I’m sorry I haven’t come back! We’ve had a great cruise. Very relaxing which is what we needed. Let me answer your questions,

Liquor: we don’t drink so I have the room service menu next to me. It looks like there are 375 ml bottles of bourbon, scotch, vodka, rum and gin.

Thank you for looking into this. Some people reported a few months ago that these were available only by pre-ordering. Good to know that you can get another halfway through the cruise.

Jim

Just a few final thoughts. We are sold on this class of ships. Only a couple of times throughout the week did we encounter crowds. Otherwise we kept wondering where all the people were. We always found a good seat in the horizon court. I made reservations in the morning for dinner in the dining room. We would go a few minutes early and were seated immediately.

Overall our fellow passengers were very enjoyable to associate with. Only one or two exceptions the entire week.

We LOVED the sanctuary. I wished I had reserved it for all sea days. The service was exceptional. I didn’t realize when I booked that there is a cabana in the center of the sanctuary with sofas and chairs, in three or four different groupings that are complimentary for all sanctuary guests to use. It was never crowded and a nice place to sit and eat. There were also chairs next to our loungers for our use as well. I’m so glad I didn’t spend the money for the cabana in the sanctuary.

The cabana by the retreat pool was nice, but the wind in that area was an issue nearly everyday. It was warm so not as bad as it could have been. If the weather was chilly we would not have stayed. Again the service was outstanding. In this area and the sanctuary we felt truly pampered, but the staff was unobtrusive.

Disembarkation was uneventful. We ubered to the Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel. We arrived around 10:30 and our room was ready. We’re on the 15th floor and we have a spectacular view of the coast and the inter-coastal. I highly recommend this hotel. A nice way to ease back to reality. ;)