Help...how often is Philadelphia Airport shut?

chemmo

We fly out from the U.K. tomorrow to Orlando via Philadelphia and had a warning from AA about expected bad weather that could interfere with flights...If any of you live there just how bad is the weather expected to be? AA are giving out very little information.

How often does Philly airport close owing to bad weather?

I would be very grateful for any information...

We live in the western part of the state but I just checked the weather channel and it does not look good for flying into Philadelphia. The east coast from DC into New England has been having one major northeaster after another. If there is any way you can get your flight changed I would do it. Here's the alert fro he Weather Channel. Good luck.

\

Action Recommended: Make preparations per the instructions

Issued by: Philadelphia - PA, US, National Weather Service,

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENINGTO 2 AM EDT THURSDAY...* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation expected. Total snowaccumulations of 7 to 13 inches and ice accumulations of up toone tenth of an inch are expected. In addition, north tonortheast winds will gust 25 to 40 mph at times.* WHERE...Portions of southern New Jersey, southeastPennsylvania, northeast Maryland and northern Delaware.* WHEN...Mixed precipitation will begin this morning along theInterstate 76 corridor and will gradually move northward thisafternoon. A wintry mix may continue through this evening, andicing potential is highest during this portion of the event,especially along and east of the Delaware River and in northernportions of the Delmarva Peninsula. Precipitation willtransition to snow from west to east late tonight and becomeheavy at times tomorrow. Snow will gradually taper off lateWednesday evening.* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel will be very difficult toimpossible, especially on Wednesday. Be prepared for significantreductions in visibility at times. Power outages and tree damagemay occur owing to the weight of the snow.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow, sleetand ice will make travel very hazardous or impossible. The latestroad conditions for the state you are calling from can beobtained by calling 5 1 1.&&

More Information

...Major Coastal Storm to Affect the Region Through WednesdayNight....A pair of low pressure systems today will consolidate into onemajor coastal storm late tonight and Wednesday. This is expectedto bring significant impacts to our region, starting with areas ofmixed precipitation today and tonight followed by significantsnowfall on Wednesday. Unnecessary travel Wednesday afternoon andevening is strongly discouraged.

Most of the Mid Atlantic region of the country is under a Winter Storm watch or warning tomorrow. Philadelphia appears to be under a Winter Storm Warning (weather will happen) from 6:00 p.m. tonight until 2:00 a.m. Thursday. That may or may not be enough to close the airport (5-8 inches expected; probably not) in Philadelphia, but it could slow down flights, and create issues for your connection (and connecting airplane).

Are they offering you any rerouting options? Can you fly to Miami? JFK (oddly looks better further north tomorrow)? When's your cruise? They're showing 32 F (0 C) at 15:00, which is about the usual arrival time in the US from Europe. That honestly shouldn't shut down Philly; it would be a strain at Washington Dulles, for instance, but it should be OK in Philly unless it gets a lot worse.

(CHEZMARYLOU's bulletin is worse than I found. That could shut the airport.)

Most of the Mid Atlantic region of the country is under a Winter Storm watch or warning tomorrow. Philadelphia appears to be under a Winter Storm Warning (weather will happen) from 6:00 p.m. tonight until 2:00 a.m. Thursday. That may or may not be enough to close the airport (5-8 inches expected; probably not) in Philadelphia, but it could slow down flights, and create issues for your connection (and connecting airplane).

Are they offering you any rerouting options? Can you fly to Miami? JFK (oddly looks better further north tomorrow)? When's your cruise? They're showing 32 F (0 C) at 15:00, which is about the usual arrival time in the US from Europe. That honestly shouldn't shut down Philly; it would be a strain at Washington Dulles, for instance, but it should be OK in Philly unless it gets a lot worse.

(CHEZMARYLOU's bulletin is worse than I found. That could shut the airport.)

Travel bans have been issued for the interstates in Pa. for the storm. Might also effect the plane coming in to take you to Florida.

Hi, I'm in Philly now, it just started to lightly snow. Based on weather reports, it will be windy with heavy snow during the day tomorrow (Wednesday). Based on my experience, the airport physically rarely ever shuts, however, they will cancel flights if it gets bad out. American has a habit of doing that very last minute too. I'm assuming you are already under the time frame to change your flight without penalty. I would call them now and see what they can do. Always better to reschedule than to have to wait it out and hope for the best. The snow isn't supposed to stick and get really heavy until tomorrow (should either melt, or change to freezing rain tonight). Good luck!

I'm in the Philly area now and the weather tomorrow will likely shut down operations at least for part if not most of the day. This is a large storm that will likely impact most of the northeast from Washington DC north. I'd try to re-route today to somewhere pretty far south or west. That may make your flight or layover times inconvenient but at least you'll get where you need to be.

Thanks all.

We have spent most of the afternoon looking at alternatives but as our flight isn’t actually cancelled they will not route us to any other destination airport than Orlando at present so we can not yet swap to a flight into Miami etc....

We are scheduled to arrive in Philadelphia early afternoon tomorrow and fly out early evening. We are hoping we can at least get across the pond even if we then have some hiccups with the connecting flight....

We cruise Friday. We were hoping to enjoy an overnight in Orlando then a leisurely drive to Fort Lauderdale followed by another leisurely overnight at a FL hotel before boarding....looks like it could be a few mad dashes through terminals instead!

Please keep you fingers and toes crossed for us! I promise to report back from wherever we end up....

Chemmo, I've just watched the afternoon weather in the Philadelphia area and they're upgraded the predicated snow total predications and many areas have already issued snow emergency measures enacted. You should definitely re-route your flights, otherwise even if you successfully land in Philadelphia, your flight to Florida will most likely not be taking off.

Thanks all.

We have spent most of the afternoon looking at alternatives but as our flight isn’t actually cancelled they will not route us to any other destination airport than Orlando at present so we can not yet swap to a flight into Miami etc....

We are scheduled to arrive in Philadelphia early afternoon tomorrow and fly out early evening. We are hoping we can at least get across the pond even if we then have some hiccups with the connecting flight....

We cruise Friday. We were hoping to enjoy an overnight in Orlando then a leisurely drive to Fort Lauderdale followed by another leisurely overnight at a FL hotel before boarding....looks like it could be a few mad dashes through terminals instead!

Please keep you fingers and toes crossed for us! I promise to report back from wherever we end up....

And this is why you leave early. Way to plan so well. It’s great that you at least have some time to make it there. I really hope all works out well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, they've just upgraded the DC area to a Winter Storm Warning. It's looking worse...

To the OP, watch the airline's web page. This is highly likely to turn into a no penalty change scenario, maybe later tonight. I'm not seeing that on any of the airlines right now, which is a bit surprising. Be on the phone, computer, mobile, etc., as soon as you see that (probably phone if you're trying to change arrival airport as well).

Chemmo, I've just watched the afternoon weather in the Philadelphia area and they're upgraded the predicated snow total predications and many areas have already issued snow emergency measures enacted. You should definitely re-route your flights, otherwise even if you successfully land in Philadelphia, your flight to Florida will most likely not be taking off.

Unfortunately we are at present in the hands of AA....just glad we have some ‘time cushion’. If we could reschedule we would...

And this is why you leave early. Way to plan so well. It’s great that you at least have some time to make it there. I really hope all works out well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the good wishes. We do try to plan ahead but hate to be in our present situation with a flight scheduled to go but so much uncertainty....

FWIW, they've just upgraded the DC area to a Winter Storm Warning. It's looking worse...

To the OP, watch the airline's web page. This is highly likely to turn into a no penalty change scenario, maybe later tonight. I'm not seeing that on any of the airlines right now, which is a bit surprising. Be on the phone, computer, mobile, etc., as soon as you see that (probably phone if you're trying to change arrival airport as well).

Not going to be much sleep here tonight....ready to liaise with AA as, when and if they change status.

Sincere thanks for you advice.

I am less than 10 miles south of Philly International airport. 2:06 PM EST and we now have sleet. Predicted to change to snow tonight, estimating 4 to 9 inches of snow by tomorrow.

Depending on your perspective they just upgraded/downgraded the forecasted snowfall as 8"- 12". It's sleeting now.

Thanks for the updates and the link. We will continue to follow during the evening/night....We are looking at a philly webcam and just hoping it stays sleety as long as possible.

Just poured a Courvoisier....at times one needs to turn to drink!

Here's a link to the Philadelphia area news station for up to date weather forecasts.

https://www.google.com/amp/6abc.com/amp/weather/accuweather-up-to-12-of-snow-on-wednesday/49644/#ampshare=http://6abc.com/weather/accuweather-up-to-12-of-snow-on-wednesday/49644/

The sleet isnt good. Its a layer of ice that will be underneath the snow. Have a safe trip. Good luck with rearranging your travel. That welcome aboard glass will be extra tasty this trip! I'm watching the sleet bounce on the patio and skylights while having a glass of red. Also watching a spring training baseball game from Florida that's currently in a rain delay.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Edited by Luvcrusn

You might consider pre-booking a (refundable or no-cancel penalty) room near the airport for Wednesday night in case you are able to fly in but not out. I have friends traveling with a group in DC for a conference and all of their flights out for tomorrow were cancelled an hour or two ago. We're only supposed to get a few inches of snow near downtown, so it seems like overkill to me, but I suppose if they're expecting heavy winds, that may be the determining factor.

Chemmo:

You've given yourself enough padding so that most likely your cruise will not be in jeopardy. I know that you are an experienced cruiser and you know to check for alternative routings. If the flight from UK can't land in PHL they will most likely go to another airport where you will be rerouted. Might lose Orlando, but it will be there in the future. I've been in your situation so I know how you feel and only hope that it works out as well for you as it did for me. Have a wonderful and relaxing cruise!

Chemmo:

You've given yourself enough padding so that most likely your cruise will not be in jeopardy. I know that you are an experienced cruiser and you know to check for alternative routings. If the flight from UK can't land in PHL they will most likely go to another airport where you will be rerouted. Might lose Orlando, but it will be there in the future. I've been in your situation so I know how you feel and only hope that it works out as well for you as it did for me. Have a wonderful and relaxing cruise!

Sincere thanks for your words of wisdom....We have over a week in Orlando post cruise and we have been regular visitors over many years, so no issues there! We chose this cruise to fly into MCO pre cruise rather than direct to FL or Mia based simply on price.....We saved a significant amount by flying into/out of MCO rather than flying into FL and out of MCO....How airlines price flights sometimes seems to defy belief!

We are in I think for a fairly sleepless night as we keep checking emails....We have always planned with ‘padding’ and just hope this time we have enough.

Cross your fingers for us folks, if we can at least get across the pond tomorrow we will worry about onward travel then...

You might consider pre-booking a (refundable or no-cancel penalty) room near the airport for Wednesday night in case you are able to fly in but not out. I have friends traveling with a group in DC for a conference and all of their flights out for tomorrow were cancelled an hour or two ago. We're only supposed to get a few inches of snow near downtown, so it seems like overkill to me, but I suppose if they're expecting heavy winds, that may be the determining factor.

Thanks, great advice, we have noted down a couple of possible hotel options. We are booked business so perhaps AA will look after us if we are stranded!

Here's a link to the Philadelphia area news station for up to date weather forecasts.

https://www.google.com/amp/6abc.com/amp/weather/accuweather-up-to-12-of-snow-on-wednesday/49644/#ampshare=http://6abc.com/weather/accuweather-up-to-12-of-snow-on-wednesday/49644/

The sleet isnt good. Its a layer of ice that will be underneath the snow. Have a safe trip. Good luck with rearranging your travel. That welcome aboard glass will be extra tasty this trip! I'm watching the sleet bounce on the patio and skylights while having a glass of red. Also watching a spring training baseball game from Florida that's currently in a rain delay.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Use the link above for the most accurate info. I just watched their live Facebook video chat - very informative. (Search Cecily Tynan on Facebook) It is 5pm now and they are explaining the the heaviest snow will be falling Wednesday afternoon and evening. If there is any good news you may get to PHL but leaving on Wednesday afternoon is very iffy. There are many airlines that connect down to Orlando out of PHL so you should get there, but later than planned. Good luck! Let us know how your flights go!