Are you a 'new cruise' stuff buyer?

Velvetwater

My husband was laughing at me buying new cruise clothes (as I do every time) and buying new make up cases/special toiletries and bits which got me thinking if anyone else is the same.

I often sell my old clothes on sites and I do have favourites I keep....that way I don't loose too much money.

Wondered if anyone else is like me or if people are the opposite and have cruise clothes they keep in case etc for each cruise?

Somewhat related, but to the opposite....we cruised a couple of years ago with "acquaintances', the husband of which brought his oldest and most tattered clothes as he chose after each day of wearing to throw them out. In this manner he didn't have to worry about packing much on his return home. Needless to say we have avoided cruising with them since..... This is a true story - trust me I couldn't make this up! :rolleyes:

My husband was laughing at me buying new cruise clothes (as I do every time) and buying new make up cases/special toiletries and bits which got me thinking if anyone else is the same.

I often sell my old clothes on sites and I do have favourites I keep....that way I don't loose too much money.

Wondered if anyone else is like me or if people are the opposite and have cruise clothes they keep in case etc for each cruise?

You've left out a category that seasoned travelers often turn to: clothes, etc. destined for their "last hurrah" (i.e., items that will be tossed after use).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Somewhat related, but to the opposite....we cruised a couple of years ago with "acquaintances', the husband of which brought his oldest and most tattered clothes as he chose after each day of wearing to throw them out. In this manner he didn't have to worry about packing much on his return home. Needless to say we have avoided cruising with them since..... This is a true story - trust me I couldn't make this up! :rolleyes:

Curious, why have you avoided cruising with them? Just because he got rid of clothes instead of repacking them?

On topic, we don't specifically buy new things for cruises, although we usually have at least one thing we decide to buy before a cruise. Before our most recent Caribbean cruise we decided to buy our own snorkel gear, for example, after renting it on our first two cruises.

I am the exact opposite when it comes to travelling:p. I always bring items that I feel are disposable, that way if they are ruined or lost it won't bother me:cool:. I am always digging into the back of the wardrobe looking for the older stuff I don't care about any more. Unless I need a specific item I don't already own I avoid bringing any thing new;).

See I like buying new things because I am not emotionally attached to them yet...makes it a little easier! :)

Also, I use websites like everything£5 ($7) and bargain hunt. Sometimes I wonder if its the new cruise stuff I love or the thrill of a bargain.

Interesting notion on the old stuff so I can throw it away point, I have known relatives to do this with underwear but nothing else. :)

Sure, I buy something or other for most cruises. But usually don't go all out. Maybe some new cosmetics or a blouse or something.

On the other hand, I have a lot of clothes that are really only used for cruises; cocktail dresses, formal wear (hardly use that any more) sparkly tops, etc. I literally have no where to wear these things at home.

I have to watch it though because I have noticed the exact same cocktail dress in pictures from multiple cruise over the last 10 years! It's my favorite, packs well and is comfy. And of course I stop wearing anything that looks too dated.

I have been guilty of bringing my not so nice underwear a;pmg and throwing it away each day. As long as the throw away item isn't too disgusting, torn or stained, not a problem to me.

I just pack the clothes I already own. That's especially true with shoes. I make sure the shoes I take are really broken in and comfy. (Nothing ruins my day faster than painful foot problems) I do shop for and freshen up the toiletry and makeup items I take.

There are usually one or two things that I may buy because a cruise is coming up. I might need a new bathing suit or cover up, toiletries and sunscreen, or OTC meds. But I don't go out looking for a new wardrobe. I just select from what is already in the closet.

I would never bring my old, worn out clothes on a cruise, any more than I'd take such things to a land resort or wear them to lunch with friends. If they're old and worn out, they're reserved for house or garden work, or into the trash.

I have a separate wardrobe that I only wear when on cruises. Mostly items that don’t get used in my daily life such as evening wear or fancy sandals. Have used this wardrobe for several years and numerous cruises now.

I can't think of anything worse than taking old clothes and disposing of them after use during a cruise...especially underwear! I know it saves weight but imagine being in an accident with tatty underwear!

(ooh, the shame!)

We keep toilet bags replenished after each holiday, to 'grab and go' for next one. Usually buy one new dress for formal night photos but re use others. Have 'worn in' walking sandals to avoid blisters..but that has occasionally occurred with new footwear when feet have swollen after long flight.

Evening sandals and bag no longer need replacing regularly as they get little/ no wear at home.

Apart from that I take the season's purchases I take for other holidays and life !!

I like to look my best, not my worst, at all times. Cannot even imagine wearing torn and tattered clothes. (especially in public) I have a designated section in my closet of specific cruise wear....which I add or subtract to, as styles change.

Curious, why have you avoided cruising with them? Just because he got rid of clothes instead of repacking them?

No - there are other reasons. But if the clothes were tattered enough to be thrown out IMO they shouldn't have been brought in the first place. To clarify, they are not friends we know well - just casual acquaintances who we met on board and spent time with our group. But let's just say it was a bit embarrassing to be in one of the nicer venues on board with him showing up in torn muscle shirts and being asked to leave to change into something more appropriate.

My point with the post was to point out an opposite example of buying new clothes for the cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I have some items that are only for travel/Cruising, such as enough underwear for a long cruise, etc so as to not touch my every day items. But I do buy new cruise wear at the end of season on sale (sundresses, bathing suits, shorts and tops) and put them away until I cruise. This way I get a whole new cruise wardrobe at a mere fraction of the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We kind of do this. We bring a few old , stained worn out t-shirts. When we snorkel we wear them so our backs don’t get sunburned. After snorkeling we throw them away and have a little extra room in our luggage. If we pickup any souvenirs we now have room for them.

We kind of do this. We bring a few old , stained worn out t-shirts. When we snorkel we wear them so our backs don’t get sunburned. After snorkeling we throw them away and have a little extra room in our luggage. If we pickup any souvenirs we now have room for them.

That makes sense. And I doubt you wear them every day to all venues as did the individual to which I have referred......;)

My first cruise is upcoming. For formal nights, I have a suit (weddings, Easter, Christmas) that would not survive wrinkle free and no other dressy clothes. So, totally unacceptable.

I went to the Salvation Army store this week and bought used sport coat for $4.75. The dry cleaning cost more.

The way I figure it, if I accumulate too many souvenirs for my bag, I can simply toss the coat at the end of the cruise with no guilt.

I used to, but now I have boxes stored away containing formal wear which is like new. Underwear is my main buy, and sturdy shoes for walking. Coats are a problem, as we usually have cold days at the beginning and end of a cruise, and warm/waterproof/fleeces take up such a lot of room.

I do buy new clothes for a cruise...I don't go nuts but I will start wearing them during the cruise and continue using them when I get home...and repeat. We usually do 1 week cruises so this might be a couple of tops and some shorts or a bathing suit. Nothing to break the bank.

I remember a post by someone that said when they cruise, the kids each get brand new underwear. It goes in the suitcase still in the package for easy packing.

And to answer the original question, I generally use the cruise as an excuse to pick up some new clothes or shoes. Going to Alaska is a really great excuse because the packing is so different from going to the Caribbean. And it's not a waste - I can certainly also use my new Alaska wear in Ohio.

Sure, I buy something or other for most cruises. But usually don't go all out. Maybe some new cosmetics or a blouse or something.

On the other hand, I have a lot of clothes that are really only used for cruises; cocktail dresses, formal wear (hardly use that any more) sparkly tops, etc. I literally have no where to wear these things at home.

I have to watch it though because I have noticed the exact same cocktail dress in pictures from multiple cruise over the last 10 years! It's my favorite, packs well and is comfy. And of course I stop wearing anything that looks too dated.

I have been guilty of bringing my not so nice underwear a;pmg and throwing it away each day. As long as the throw away item isn't too disgusting, torn or stained, not a problem to me.

As long as it is a classic and you still enjoy the look, packs well and is comfy sounds like a winner to me. If you are concerned about the repeat pictures maybe try mixing up the accessories or topping with a pretty pashmina.

I used to, but now I have boxes stored away containing formal wear which is like new. Underwear is my main buy, and sturdy shoes for walking. Coats are a problem, as we usually have cold days at the beginning and end of a cruise, and warm/waterproof/fleeces take up such a lot of room.

I'm not sure why coats are a problem. Don't you wear them to/from the port so they wouldn't end up in the luggage?

I laughed out loud when I saw this post. Yes, I buy new clothes. Not everything new but a few things. One of my big pleasures is to think about what I'm going to wear each day and how to pack it all in a one carry on. I'm 50 days out from our next cruise and I could pack tonight and be ready tomorrow if need be. I too have my go to fancy clothes that seem to make it on each cruise. I don't buy anything that I wouldn't be able to use after the cruise however. And my closet certainly is not big enough to have a "cruise clothes" section - very envious.