Princess Cruise and Special Group

CruiseGal999

I am cruising on Ruby Princess later this year.

I can only hope things get better. ALL of my dealings with Princess CL have been AMAZING.

My dealings with a TA for only part of the trip has been so difficult. I almost don't want to go anymore.

Can you fire the TA? Or is that where the "special group" in your title came from?

Yup ... that's where the special group comes in. TA is ANGRY and insulted me with name calling because I only booked the special group through them. They, of course, offer insurance, hotel rooms & air fare. But I never heard it was mandatory to do so through TA.

Unless you have signed a contract with the TA' date=' is it certainly not required that you purchase anything else thru them or the company.[/quote']

That's what I thought! I know they would make more money off of me IF I did go through them for the other stuff, but I am single and on a fixed income. I need to save every where I can. I'm even planning on doing local excursions and not Princess ones.

Yup ... that's where the special group comes in. TA is ANGRY and insulted me with name calling because I only booked the special group through them. They, of course, offer insurance, hotel rooms & air fare. But I never heard it was mandatory to do so through TA.

Don't really understand what the special group is. Is it a land tour?

Just for information, T.A.'s frequently offer cruises with additional perks not available when you book directly from Princess. This could be group things like, cat. upgrades, OBC, bottle of wine. Some T.A's also discount the fares. We always use a T.A. for the cruise, but take care of air and pre-post cruise hotels on our own. Regarding air even if you book the cruise through a T.A. if you want to you can still book your own air through Princess' EZ Air.

Some agencies are good...

Some are not....

Many will offer some discounts, onboard credit, etc...

You are NOT locked in to anything here.

Assuming you are not past final payment, you can cancel and book with Princess or with any other TA.

Most decent agencies will not charge their own 'Cancellation Fee'.... But, I am sure that there are those out there who still pull that one. I would not want to book thru any agency who had all of these kinds of fees for their services.

And, any TA who was that rude, or forward, about requesting that you book all other related travel plans thru them, would just not be acceptable.

If you book directly thru Princess, you might not get those little perks offered by larger agencies, but you WILL get direct access to that Princess Customer Service. If you book thru an agency, then most all communications and changes, etc, will have to go thru that agency.

It sounds like you are not-familiar and are maybe confused about some aspects of this.

We are wishing you well as you continue your cruise planning!

Some agencies are good...

Some are not....

Many will offer some discounts, onboard credit, etc...

You are NOT locked in to anything here.

Assuming you are not past final payment, you can cancel and book with Princess or with any other TA.

Most decent agencies will not charge their own 'Cancellation Fee'.... But, I am sure that there are those out there who still pull that one. I would not want to book thru any agency who had all of these kinds of fees for their services.

And, any TA who was that rude, or forward, about requesting that you book all other related travel plans thru them, would just not be acceptable.

If you book directly thru Princess, you might not get those little perks offered by larger agencies, but you WILL get direct access to that Princess Customer Service. If you book thru an agency, then most all communications and changes, etc, will have to go thru that agency.

It sounds like you are not-familiar and are maybe confused about some aspects of this.

We are wishing you well as you continue your cruise planning!

Thank you, The person I spoke with is an owner of the company. I did book the cruise with Princess and only paid the TA an expensive fee to be included with the group on the ship. It is not a full ship charter. But WHY he expected I would book everything else with his agency is beyond me. And when we talked on the phone and I told him I had already reserved my own flight, hotel, etc. That's when he laid into me and called me names and hung up on me. I wasn't looking for any of the TA niceties of a usual cruise booking. I just wasn't expecting him to be so angry and mean!

Edited by CruiseGal999

Don't really understand what the special group is. Is it a land tour?

Just for information, T.A.'s frequently offer cruises with additional perks not available when you book directly from Princess. This could be group things like, cat. upgrades, OBC, bottle of wine. Some T.A's also discount the fares. We always use a T.A. for the cruise, but take care of air and pre-post cruise hotels on our own. Regarding air even if you book the cruise through a T.A. if you want to you can still book your own air through Princess' EZ Air.

This special group is a group of people on the ship. While I did reserve my cruise directly with Princess, I paid the TA an expensive fee to be included with the group onboard. I had no idea the TA expected me and apparently ALL with the group to reserve flight, hotel and insurance with them. I called about something I saw on their website and that's when the owner (who I was talking to) found out I had booked all else on my own. He went ballistic. I'm staying with the group because there IS a cancellation fee or maybe the TA wouldn't refund any of the $$ I paid and I want to do all the activities I've paid to do with the group.

I really needed confirmation that TAs don't usually expect or demand clients to reserve EVERYTHING with them.

They should not expect that. I book through a national TA company but reserve my airline and hotel through my own means. She has even asked me where I get my good prices at and have overheard here telling others to use my sources. Any TA that demands you do that should be gotten rid of. Have run across one and no longer use them. Our TA does arrangements for both sides of the family all across the country. This year she has arranged trips to Australia, Alaska, Hawaii and several other places for family members with no problems.

I'm still scratching my head as to what this "special group" that would justify an increased fee might be, especially since you said that you'll do shore excursions on your own. I'm theorizing that it must be some sort of special interest group and that the increased fee will cover classes, lectures, or some such on sea days...and that this agent is the only one who is handling the arrangements and the fees for these special activities.

I've received invitations for similar things, and honestly I just laugh. What they are doing is trying to get enough people for the "teachers" to cruise free and support the favorite travel agent of someone involved in organizing the activities. If this is the case, you've probably signed something and are basically stuck with this booking. BUT you do not have to book any of the extras thru them and you obviously won't use them again.

I too would be interested to know what kind of group is hosting an event on this cruise.

Maybe you just got ahold of a bad egg, the wrong person on the wrong day.

But, I would very much question whether I wanted to cruise with this particular group/provider.

Would you even say that they are reputable?

Also, I would be very surprised if any organization that had made arrangements, blocked rooms, etc... for a group event on a cruise would not absolutely require you to actually make your booking thru them. At the rates that they have set. Never heard of paying an extra fee to be a part of the group????

Something just seems very 'off' here.

If one goes by what you have posted so far, I would very much question this group.

It doesn't sound good, and maybe not even legit????

How much would you lose if you cancelled?

Have you checked the BBB type listings and reviews on this organization?

And, no, it is not usual, normal, acceptable, at all, for anyone to make it their business where and how you book other aspects of your travel. It just isn't.

To hrlp others who may be booked on the OPs sailing but not as part of this special group ... I am hopeful the OP will tell us:

name or focus of group,

size of group,

sailing date,

ship areas blocked for the group and closed yo everyone else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

This special group is a group of people on the ship. While I did reserve my cruise directly with Princess, I paid the TA an expensive fee to be included with the group onboard. I had no idea the TA expected me and apparently ALL with the group to reserve flight, hotel and insurance with them. I called about something I saw on their website and that's when the owner (who I was talking to) found out I had booked all else on my own. He went ballistic. I'm staying with the group because there IS a cancellation fee or maybe the TA wouldn't refund any of the $$ I paid and I want to do all the activities I've paid to do with the group.

I really needed confirmation that TAs don't usually expect or demand clients to reserve EVERYTHING with them.

What is this special group? There is no way that I would deal with such a TA. I assume that this is a trip organized by the TA?

Most times when a TA is offering a trip the cruise must usually be booked through them, if on the other hand they allow anyone to participate by paying a fee the TA should have been fine with it. Or was it a case where you called and wanted to join the group, but had already booked everything and the TA came up with a number for you to be included?

I'm still scratching my head as to what this "special group" that would justify an increased fee might be' date=' especially since you said that you'll do shore excursions on your own. I'm theorizing that it must be some sort of special interest group and that the increased fee will cover classes, lectures, or some such on sea days...and that this agent is the only one who is handling the arrangements and the fees for these special activities.

I've received invitations for similar things, and honestly I just laugh. What they are doing is trying to get enough people for the "teachers" to cruise free and support the favorite travel agent of someone involved in organizing the activities. If this is the case, you've probably signed something and are basically stuck with this booking. BUT you do not have to book any of the extras thru them and you obviously won't use them again.[/quote']

To be frank, I have spent more $$ to book my own cabin with princess (even AFTER getting a rebate from credit card) than it would have cost to book with this TA. BUT I wanted to choose my own cabin # & location. I also wanted to get my own insurance and KNOW what I'm covered for. TA just adds a flat % to the cost of the cruise you purchase. There is NO info./description of what coverage this % gets you.

I also wanted the freedom & control of scheduling my own flight and hotel.

Yes, this added fee is to join the group and it is a lunch & dinner and Q&A & photo ops, etc. It isn't 'teachers', but it is exactly how you think it is.

I am being careful to not expose the TA or myself to more denigration from the TA. This 'TA' IS a friend of the primary guest.

What is this special group? There is no way that I would deal with such a TA. I assume that this is a trip organized by the TA?

Most times when a TA is offering a trip the cruise must usually be booked through them, if on the other hand they allow anyone to participate by paying a fee the TA should have been fine with it. Or was it a case where you called and wanted to join the group, but had already booked everything and the TA came up with a number for you to be included?

I called the TA before booking anything with Princess. I decided to go forward with the cruise after finding out that this is the last one for this particular group.

I asked the TA if it would be OK if I booked cruise direct with Princess and they were fine with it. They DID come up with a 'fee' for me to pay to join this group on board. It was high, but acceptable and I paid it.

I had no idea this TA expected me to book EVERYTHING with them. And I feel being yelled at and called names is absolutely horrible.

Like I said, I'm staying with the group because it's the last one that'll be done and I don't need to contact the TA until it's time to cruise.

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the replies. I apologize for being skimpy with details, but am trying to protect myself as much as I can.

I, personally, have never used a TA. I've been with friends who were working with a TA and I was part of the crowd. One cruise in my mid-20s ... the TA was my friend's dad's agency. So she/he/they did all the organizing and me and 27 of my 'closest' friends went on a cruise.

So, thank you ... it is good to know that my belief that I should have the freedom to schedule air, hotel, etc. on my own is correct.

Arr you able, OP, to at least shard with us the sailing dste and the approximate number of people in your special group? And whether non-special people will be blocked from use of some venues in favor of your group's activities???

I ask because I just cancelled a sports team fan cruise ... and it would be a courtesy to others here to let them know their cruise coulf be impacted by a sizable group onboard.

Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

Yes we can see how you are protecting yourself. Hopefully you have everything from Mr. Jerk in writing as your time frame to dispute it on a credit card will likely expire prior to the cruise. Keep track of all your documents and put all communication in written (electronic) form.

Hope you really do enjoy the even after all the hassle.

I am cruising on Ruby Princess later this year.

I can only hope things get better. ALL of my dealings with Princess CL have been AMAZING.

My dealings with a TA for only part of the trip has been so difficult. I almost don't want to go anymore.

Dump the T/A.....:):):)

Bob