TA disembark early

bsg_19

We want to get off the ship early while in port in Lisbon Portugal instead of spending 3 more additional ( and probably cold) days getting to our final destination Southampton England on our Celebrity TA cruise next month...Will we have any immigration/customs issues? Do I inform Celebrity prior to boarding or inform Guest Relations once on board? Never like to leave a cruise early but Portugal intrigues us and getting those three extra days helps extend our time there! Thanks in advance.

We want to get off the ship early while in port in Lisbon Portugal instead of spending 3 more additional ( and probably cold) days getting to our final destination Southampton England on our Celebrity TA cruise next month...Will we have any immigration/customs issues? Do I inform Celebrity prior to boarding or inform Guest Relations once on board? Never like to leave a cruise early but Portugal intrigues us and getting those three extra days helps extend our time there! Thanks in advance.

You will need to discuss this directly with Celebrity (pre-cruise) and make the necessary arrangements long before you board if they are going to even allow you to possibly do this.

As Ashland said you need to ask Celebrity ASAP as there are immigration issues if you want to leave the ship in Lisbon. You cannot wait until you are on board and won't get any prorated refund for those three days. IF they do allow it keep in mind that bad weather or other factors could cause the ship to skip Lisbon. You don't want to be in a situation where you have a non-refundable flight out of Lisbon and you had already cancelled your travel arrangements out of Southampton.

As mentioned contact Celebrity.

If they approve get it in writing.

They may or may not approve this so they are the ones to go to. History means nothing as rules change all the time.

If approved once on board go to the main reception desk to discuss with them with your confirmation letter in hand.

Keith

I just got done talking with Celebrity about my disembarking early and here’s what happened....first contacted Customer Service 844.418.6824 described my situation and was redirected to Emergency Travel Team

800.256.6649. They informed me that this was indeed possible but I would have to pay US $65 to process this request. A confirmation email was sent 5 minutes later confirming our early departure....batabing! Now we get to spend 9 continuous days in Portugal instead of 3 days spent sea travel to Southampton, bus to London, flight to Lisbon and airport to hotel!

So why did we do this? We got talked into doing the TA by our friends last summer and none of us had done a TA cruise before. Having never traveled to Portugal before, this itinerary sounded good. The wife said maybe we should leave Southampton after the cruise and go explore more of Portugal since our stay there was so short in Lisbon. As I found out its no easy task going from Southampton to Portugal! So this is how we ended up here.

Hope this helps others with our crazy thought process!

Celebrity is about the only cruise line that charges an extra fee to get permission to disembark early :(. It is just one of many reasons why we have soured on this cruise line...after many years of happy cruising with this line. You would think that they would be happy to let you off the ship (they no longer have to feed you) but Celebrity's CEO probably lays awake at night just thinking up ways she can squeeze a few extra dollars out of her customers.

We have done an early disembarkation on several cruises (without having to pay any silly fees) but generally do this closer to the end of a cruise. But you are only missing a couple of sea days (we love our sea days) which many cruisers would say is no big deal.

Hank

YOu need to request a trip deviation... either directly with Celebrity or thru your TA in advance. The cruise line will give you

an okay in advance... in writing.. You simply take the written notice to guest services the night before to settle your account... we done this often getting off in La harve France.

YOu need to request a trip deviation... either directly with Celebrity or thru your TA in advance. The cruise line will give you

an okay in advance... in writing.. You simply take the written notice to guest services the night before to settle your account... we done this often getting off in La harve France.

If you read further in the thread, you'll find OP has the situation covered.

The one additional thing to remember is that there is the slight possibility the ship will miss the Libson port altogether.

That would be very unlikely. Lisbon is a very sheltered port located several miles up the Tagus River. There would have to be some very significant wind which is pretty rare during the main cruise season.

Hank