LAX vs San Diego

teacherman

We have a choice of 2 re-positioning cruises with similar itineraries. One ends in Los Angeles (Princess) and the other ends in San Diego (Celebrity). We have never been to either city, but we can fly home from either one. Is airport access from the ship easier or better in one of them as opposed to the other? Also, both ships are scheduled to arrive very early in the morning. What would be a safe time to schedule a flight in each airport? Any information and advice is welcome. Thank you.

If you look on the West Coast Departures board, (because this is really about on the ground logistics) you will see San Diego is FAR easier (a 10 minute taxi ride, versus a 40 minute MINIMUM to LAX- subject to serious traffic possibilities) transit to the airport.

San Diego has a history of Immigration and Customs delay, recently improved, so I would feel comfortable with 11:30 flights, maybe 11am. LAX, nothing before noon for sure.

SAN is a smaller, far easier airport to navigate. LAX is huge.

If possible it’s definitely worth a few days in San Diego. It is lovely - we especially enjoyed our visit to the air craft carrier that is moored next to the promenade there and is now a tourist attraction. Also ‘OldTown’ is great. It’s an area of old buildings set up as a tourist area which looks like it would have looked years ago. Transport is good - there is a tram system.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Personally, choice of airport would be low on my own list of factors. Especially on a repositioning cruise, you will be spending more time on the ship and the variations between Princess and Celebrity (and the specific ships) would play a big part in my thinking. Add in the question of specific ports and the pros/cons of SAN vs LAX become less significant - again, IMO.

If you really think that the two cruises are equivalent and are a coin flip, then SAN becomes a better logistical choice from port to airport. However, the factor of flight availablity could also come into play - likely far more options via LAX, depending on just where you are eventually flying to.

• 1 month later...
We have a choice of 2 re-positioning cruises with similar itineraries. One ends in Los Angeles (Princess) and the other ends in San Diego (Celebrity). We have never been to either city, but we can fly home from either one. Is airport access from the ship easier or better in one of them as opposed to the other? Also, both ships are scheduled to arrive very early in the morning. What would be a safe time to schedule a flight in each airport? Any information and advice is welcome. Thank you.

Out of curiosity, where are ships repositioning from? I'm going next month from San Diego to Vancouver . There are several choices of ships and days at sea. I picked the one with a whole day in San Francisco . Makes it like 2 vacations in one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums